Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2010, 05:56 PM   #1

keyed car

hello all,

i had the misfortune of having someone key my car on both sides. the front fender and door are both deep down to metal. my question is should i repaint with repair shop, or should i attempt langka or dr. color chips to try to remove it? what are thoughts out there? any experience with these two products? thanks.

tuanle16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 06:04 PM   #2

first, so sorry man. that's something i'm always worried about. here's to a quick and easy fix.

second, if it were me i would definitely go to a professional - they can do a lot better color matching than some paint in a bottle and check your insurance because they may cover it if you have the correct coverage.
Old 11-08-2010, 06:09 PM   #3

Sorry to hear this. If you want the car to not look like it was repaired with a paintbrush, the only answer is to have the affected panels re-sprayed and the paint blended where needed.
Old 11-08-2010, 06:46 PM   #4

thanks all. i agree. probably will take it to professional body shop. but regarding those other products, anyone have experience with them. perhaps i will use them for my other car. does it really work?
tuanle16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 11:27 PM   #5

Langka & DR Colorchip

Langka works well (especially well on non-metallic paint.) Read the instructions carefully and try to keep the blob (chip or scratch overfill) to a minimum. When removing the blob take it slow -- no more then 5 passes then check. If you take it down to much (i.e. try to go too fast) then you must repaint and work it down again -- a big blob requires longer to remove. I put on multiple coats of paint with a small brush and wait 8-10 hours after I am done painting before eliminating the blob. Afterwards buff with a fine grit polish then wax. If you know where the chip is you can find it but most folks will not notice the chip. However, larger chips particularly with metallic paint will always be noticeable because metallic touch-up paint rarely matches well.

Dr Colorchip is great for bumper/hood road rash ... too many small chips to attack with Langka. It fills in the small chips with color and from 3 feet they are not noticeable.

There is another product quixx that works on scratches. Different product but it works.

I use all three on different types of scratches/chips. Cheaper than a repaint and most work well.

There are youtube videos that show all three in action. They videos shows the best application for each product. IMO langka is the toughest to use right but for larger chips and scratches to the primer it is unmatched.

Hope this helps.
Tom
trube78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 04:44 AM   #6

tuanle16,
I know exactly how you feel. My driver's side was keyed back in July. Front fender, door and rear quarter panels all scratched. The repair was done at a body shop and my State-Farm comprehensive coverage with no deductible paid the bill.
But wait, there's more. Less than 30 days after that repair, the car took a tractor trailer tire sidewall to the passenger side- bumper cover, fender, door and lower rear quarter panel all had some damage. I paid for most of the bumper cover to be repaired/ repainted along with some door dings and State-Farm paid the bill, again.

Have a body shop do the repair and when you get the car back make sure you look at the new paint from all angles in plenty of light. You don't want to be able to see where the new paint was blended to the old.

Good luck.
derb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 10:23 AM   #7

that really sucks. The only way is to do it right.... have the whole thing completely painted. Sounds like it's more than just one or two panels.

'07 Boxster, arctic silver, Tiptronic, 106k miles, no mods
‘13 Boxster S, black on black, PDK, 27k miles, garage queen
‘66 Mooney M20E, hangar queen
texomawaves is offline   Reply With Quote