Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2010, 09:56 PM   #1

The Best Road.........In The World ah I mean United States

So I got this idea when I was reading about the TOD and the roads around Eureka Springs and the one in NC I believe called the Twisted Pickle. Where really is the best road in the US for spirited driving. I think that there should be some things that need to be tied to it to make it rule supreme. Like...

1. It just has to be a really good road. As in new or pristine blacktop. No holes or dips (that will take out oilpans) or cracked sections that you feel in your teeth as you drive over at speed.
2. It has to be "Drop Dead Gorgeous" After all this is the best road in the US. So when you drive this road anytime you drive this road you can't help but say this is just so beautiful.
3. It has to have times when there is no traffic. It does not matter if it is early in the morning or late on a Sunday evening. It does not matter how heavy the traffic is when there is traffic. It just needs times when you can be left alone with it.
4. And it has to have a good turnaround or stopping point. Someplace where 5-10 cars can pull off get something cold to drink and sit around and talk about the drive and the fun of heading back.

Also please make it possible for fellow enthusiasts to find it.

What we are looking for is something like this..."The Pig Trail" highway 23 in AR south of Eureka Springs.

Attached Images

Caractere kit seam sealed, Caractere rear wing, 1 3/4" drop on coilovers, 235/40/18 Kuhmo XS on 18x8 Millie Miglia Spider II's, H2sport spindles, H&R front Sway bar, O-bar rear torsion, VF Eng. motor mounts, G60 12# flywheel, Nuespeed P-flow intake, Forge DV, Samco IP, Custom K04 turbo and Upsolute chip, 4 bar fpr, TT 2 1/2" SS DP, 2 1/2" custom stainless exhaust no muffler, Peleguin LSD, B&M SS, Momo 14" wheel, R32 steering rack.

Last edited by yelojkt; 10-30-2010 at 10:31 PM.
yelojkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 10:08 PM   #2

Garage
I would say the PCH and many of its tributaries and carmel valley road. both of which are in california much to every car enthusiasts chagrin.
Lobo1186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 11:53 PM   #3

I have no suggestions because I live in Florida.
Highlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 02:11 AM   #4

Upstate NY doesn't have a million pluses but one it does have is great country roads through wooded hilly sweepers only fifteen minutes away. The 73 or so days each year you get to enjoy them are great...
eightsandaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 04:51 AM   #5

The finger Lake Are of Upstate NY didn't attract the road racers to Watkins Glen for no real reason.
cvhs18472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 05:45 AM   #6
JTP

Maui has some of the best roads I've driven on. Upcountry area going out to Ulupalakua and in particular Crater Road going to to volcano. Excellent twisty road and very steep at times. An aerial view shows a ribbon like road laid alng the mountain slope and rewarded with a breathtaking sight at the summit. Going around the West side is great too but the blacktop gets neglected years at a time.
It goes without saying that the views are fantastic wherever you are on the island.
JTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 06:25 AM   #7
Porscheectomy

There are so many great roads out here in Colorado. The roads into and through the mountains just west of the front range all have spectacular views and several are lightly traveled. I have a favorite but I'm not sharing it.

For sheer beauty and even sometimes almost alien landscapes, there isn't much I've seen that can compare to northern Italy and Swizerland in the summer. Alot of the travel is on top of the mountains as opposed to through the valleys that is common here and it makes the scenery quite stunning. Here are a couple of shots of the twisty roads. You don't want to be speeding here, there are unexpected turns, bikers, and police in different places, but honestly, you don't want to speed on these roads anyway.

Last edited by blue2000s; 10-31-2010 at 08:32 AM.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 07:46 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highlow
I have no suggestions because I live in Florida.
This made me laugh out loud. I'm sorry.
Caractere kit seam sealed, Caractere rear wing, 1 3/4" drop on coilovers, 235/40/18 Kuhmo XS on 18x8 Millie Miglia Spider II's, H2sport spindles, H&R front Sway bar, O-bar rear torsion, VF Eng. motor mounts, G60 12# flywheel, Nuespeed P-flow intake, Forge DV, Samco IP, Custom K04 turbo and Upsolute chip, 4 bar fpr, TT 2 1/2" SS DP, 2 1/2" custom stainless exhaust no muffler, Peleguin LSD, B&M SS, Momo 14" wheel, R32 steering rack.
yelojkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 03:09 PM   #9

This isn't so much a specific road but an area. I was coming back from south Jersey a few weeks ago (leaves just starting to turn), heading towards NE Ohio. Sometimes I take I80, sometimes the Pennsy Turnpike (I76). This time I took the pike as far as Harrisburg, but then got off and took back roads.

Went through Wertzville, PA (Mapquest it), then headed west on 944, then went NW on 850. Eventually (at Alinda), got on 74, then 75, again (generally) heading north and west (but occasionally not). Somewhere along the way I got totally lost, consulting with the GPS and Pennsy map, eventually getting onto I80 to continue the trip home.

BEAUTIFUL, pastoral farmland mixed with gorgeous woodsy areas, nice curvy country roads that had, almost without exception, what looked like nearly new asphalt. If you're trying to get from the Harrisburg area up towards State College, there are some beautiful back roads. I don't even think you need to take the specific routes I mentioned...I'm betting it's pretty much all scenic.
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 04:41 PM   #10

HWY 1 where it turns inland and meets up with 101 at the redwood forest. I traversed that section at about 8:30 at night which was still light out in July. I tore it up and only passed 1 car in 30 miles. I was on the bike not the Boxster, but you just can't loose.
2009 Triumph Street Triple R - 27K mi - Blazen Orange
1976 Ford F250 camper special - tow vehicle
944boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 08:32 PM   #11

Deal's Gap - Tennessee

Coast Road to Hana - Maui, HI

Hwy 377 to Haleakala Crater - Maui, HI

Cheers!
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 12:17 AM   #12

Bolzano- San Pietro Italy

Awesome scenery in the Dolomites, alternating between long straights, minimal traffic and speed limits, to steep, curvy mountain roads over various ridgelines. Permagrin defined!

My favorite in the states ( a little more accessible to most) Hwy 79 from Temecula to Santa Ysabel, then HWY 78 through Julian (my hometown), down the abackside of the mountain into the desert toward Ocotillo.

So many plusses- Rolling hills, sweeping turns on the first and last legs, separated by great mountain driving in the middle. Lots of traffic on weekends, but midday on weekdays is pretty doable.

Say Hi to my dad at Miner's Diner in Julian!

2001 S Speed Yellow, matching interior, German Plates!!
Iflylow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 06:31 AM   #13
JTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iflylow
Awesome scenery in the Dolomites, alternating between long straights, minimal traffic and speed limits, to steep, curvy mountain roads over various ridgelines. Permagrin defined!

My favorite in the states ( a little more accessible to most) Hwy 79 from Temecula to Santa Ysabel, then HWY 78 through Julian (my hometown), down the abackside of the mountain into the desert toward Ocotillo.

So many plusses- Rolling hills, sweeping turns on the first and last legs, separated by great mountain driving in the middle. Lots of traffic on weekends, but midday on weekdays is pretty doable.

I forgot about that road, it's great! Especially after passing Ramona. I lived there for a few months in the 80's and still visit some close friends there, on Pine Hills Road. I used to work at the Pine Hills Lodge, great place to relax after a nice drive.
Old 11-01-2010, 06:46 AM   #14
JTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil bastard
Coast Road to Hana - Maui, HI

Cheers!
That road is even better when you're on a dirt bike!
Old 11-01-2010, 07:40 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iflylow

A friendly suggestion: How about including the STATE in the description. Not everyone is familiar with town names (or the route numbers) alone.
Old 11-01-2010, 08:10 AM   #16
JTP

Hwy 78, Santa Ysabel, Julian are in Southern California. In the hills East of San Diego.
Old 11-01-2010, 08:26 AM   #17

Thanks. I figured they were...they just sound like southern California.
Old 11-01-2010, 02:22 PM   #18

Send a message via AIM to riv38672 Send a message via MSN to riv38672
The hills of the Ozark/Ouachita Mountains here in Arkansas are indeed some of the best roads I have come into contact with. (I've been all over OK, MO, TX, and KS) This spring I am considering a drive down one called, "Pig Trail" just south of Fayetteville. There are many roads around Jasper, AR that take you high into the hills with absolutely spectacular views.
On weekdays the roads aren't congested, and driving is an absolute pleasure. On the weekend, I've had to deal folks that are used to driving in straight lines on more than one occaison. I love passing them with the ungodly-wonderous sound of my 2.7 @ 5500 RPM telling them just how hapy I am to be passing them.
riv38672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 03:20 PM   #19
Track rat

Garage
Mmmm... So many roads, so little time. This is one of my favorites:

Calif. Hwy 88 from Jackson to Kit Carson Pass. This offers great Boxster curves, quaint little towns and breathtaking views of the Sierras. It is off the beaten path a bit so much less traffic than the more popular roads to Tahoe or Yosemite. I spent a lot of time there in my youth but haven't driven it in quite a while. Gotta get back up there.
Old 11-01-2010, 05:51 PM   #20

Garage
the rattlesnake

Once seen, never forgotten, Rattlesnake Grade's narrow switchbacks, precipitous drop-offs and 6- to 9-percent pitches on hwy Oregon 3 and Washington 129 between Enterprise and Clarkston, Wash.

03-r1100s, 11-f800st, 09-987.2, Norton Commando
auf adlers fluegeln getragen

Last edited by litteng; 11-02-2010 at 07:23 PM.
litteng is offline   Reply With Quote