Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2010, 12:28 PM   #1

Ideally, where, when and who would you buy your 986/987 from?

Think I am about to begin my search for an 04 986 or 05/06 987 and was curious where everyone bought their Boxster from? My first Boxster was from a wholesale auction dealer who looked for a specific car for me. Car was OK, trouble free but with little history I'm not sure I would go this route again. Second Boxster S was from Lexus dealer, not sure if they got it from auction or took in in on trade. Again, no issues and like my first car gave me about 40,000 trouble free miles. Third Boxster S (05) was from private party. Car seemed well cared for and had all service records, etc.

Now that I am thinking of another Boxster am I right to steer clear from all the odd non Porsche dealers advertising these cars? I am sure they bought them wholesale from the auction and are making them up a bit. I feel the Porsche dealers ask an insanely high price when it comes to "their" cars, most of which come from the auction as well. Am I better off holding out for the perfect car and deal to come along from a private party? My last Boxster S was in IN and was shipped to Philly sight unseen. Not sure I'd do that again but holding out for an 04/05/06 blk/blk 6sp within 4hrs of Philly might take an eternity. Does buying in winter really make a difference in price anyway?

Thanks for the thoughts!

Last edited by SeaNile31; 11-03-2010 at 12:53 PM.
SeaNile31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 12:49 PM   #2

I've always heard a well cared for private party sale is best, especially if they "have" to sell. Having said that, If you are particular at all about the color & options, you may have a very long wait. I was waiting for a triple black '06 for a year and a half, and only found dealer cars. I ended up getting a CPO car. Porsches are a low volume car, so pickings can be slim.
stephen wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 01:03 PM   #3
Track rat

Garage
1st choice- A PP one owner car with excellent service history records.
2nd choice- A reputable local dealer with service history records.
3rd choice- A PP multi owner car with service history records.
4th choice- eBay motors with good service history and life in the sunbelt.
I walk away- A PP or dealer with unknown service history, shoddy car mods, or signs of winter service in the rust belt.

I am way more interested in car condition and service history than specific colors or options.

Last edited by Topless; 11-03-2010 at 01:07 PM.
Topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 01:04 PM   #4

And to think I had the perfect car last winter. Bought an 05 S, triple black, with CPO warranty, 16,xxx miles and sold it in 3 weeks without even registering the car. Drove it 6 miles and got the crazy idea to buy a Ferrari 360. As soon as the Fcar showed up and I realized I could be cruising around topless in my Boxster S fair weather DD I was bummed. There is nothing like a Ferrari, but I'd rather drive a Boxster S 15,000 miles a year vs 1000 miles a year in a Fcar. I want my Boxster S back!!
Old 11-03-2010, 03:00 PM   #5

would you want a tip??
bumblbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 03:07 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblbe
would you want a tip??

Has to be 6sp MT. Looks like Don Rosen has one but there are no details on their website about the car. Also an 05 in Iowa and an 05 in Western PA but a local "exotic" car dealer has the car. Not sure I trust that type of dealer.
Old 11-03-2010, 03:55 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaNile31
And to think I had the perfect car last winter. Bought an 05 S, triple black, with CPO warranty, 16,xxx miles and sold it in 3 weeks without even registering the car. Drove it 6 miles and got the crazy idea to buy a Ferrari 360. As soon as the Fcar showed up and I realized I could be cruising around topless in my Boxster S fair weather DD I was bummed. There is nothing like a Ferrari, but I'd rather drive a Boxster S 15,000 miles a year vs 1000 miles a year in a Fcar. I want my Boxster S back!!
i have an 09 base ...ya still got the ferrari...lets talk
extanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 04:17 PM   #8

Bought the 05 S in January, sold in Feb and lost $500, not bad considering that included my shipping costs from IN to PA. Bought the 360 in Feb, showed up in March, immediately put FabSpeed exhaust, mufflers and hi flow cats on, drove it 1000 miles, sold it in August and got back every single penny, including shipping, FabSpeed costs and the PA sales tax. Driving the car was awesome and it did not cost me a cent. Now I want another Boxster S. I want to like a 350Z Roadster but can't quite get my self to buy it. I know it would be reliable, no IMS issues, etc., but I just can't do it...
Old 11-03-2010, 05:01 PM   #9

Quote:
Think I am about to begin my search for an 04 986 or 05/06 987
Don't forget that you can't retrofit the IMS bearing in MY06 and up without rebuilding the whole engine.

I have to wonder thought whether you'll change your mind a couple weeks after buying and get something else.

Good luck.
Old 11-03-2010, 05:37 PM   #10
JTP

Bought mine from a Porsche dealer and the car was serviced there 99% of the mileage. The previous owner traded it in on another Porsche. Sure I paid a little more buying from a dealer but I got a well maintained car with service history at that dealership. I have no complaints about it.
JTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 12:09 AM   #11

Ideally? Someone sitting on a Studio Torino RK spyder who thinks it was just another ebay body kit job.
eightsandaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 06:08 AM   #12

Garage
bought mine from the Wichita p-dealer

May have paid a "little" more, but got a car with a great history, a warranty, great service, etc. Had a wtty issue (leaking cam tower seals) within the first couple months of having it. They replaced everything, no questions, no b.s., and gave me a new benz for a loaner car the whole time they had my boxster. I wouldn't have gotten that from an indy or an individual. I have to disagree a little about buying a car from the sunbelt. I had a Z3 years ago from Tampa and it was eaten alive by the sun. I will agree I wouldn't want a car that had been used during harsh winter months. Most cars like Boxsters get stored in the winter months and the midwest ones tend to have lower miles because of that. I don't know. I just had a bad experience with a sunbelt car.
SeanZ4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 06:24 AM   #13

Garage
dealer and private owner

the dealer steered me to a private owner, i ended up buying it, had its first oil change and only 16k km (10000mi) i became the third owner. and its been essentially as reliable as can be expected,

when i bought it there was no service book, the second owner did not have it sounds like the first owner lost it, but it never got passed on to the second owner. since it was still on warranty and all servicing was done by the dealer who pointed the car my way, i was not scared off by the lack of the service book,

i have done the annual oil changes and flushed the brakes, myself and have now doubled the mileage on it

next week a final wash and then it gets parked for the winter...

and its triple black, , anyone want to buy it, i want a white one...

03-r1100s, 11-f800st, 09-987.2, Norton Commando
auf adlers fluegeln getragen
litteng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 06:45 AM   #14

my purchase went something like this.

I had my eye on one after partaking in Porsche Club Autocross events. I was also considering a Carrera coupe but I'm a roadster guy at heart and a Carrera cab was not on an option. I watched an episode of Top Gear where they voted the Boxster the best 'pure sports car' currently produced. Other cars were Lotus Elise, Z4, Caterham, and some others I can't recall. Once I saw Tiff (former F1 driver) drifiting the Boxster with simple flicks of the wrist (while laughing!) I was sold.

There was only one color option on my radar: Silver and red

I never buy things new if they depreciate so the challenge was to find:
1- Silver and Red
2- S motor
3- Garage Kept
4- Ultra low miles
5- nearby so I could test drive

That very weeked while searching Ebay and Autotrader I spot the following on Ebay being offered by a local Honda/Acura dealer as a trade in:

1-Silver and Red
2-S motor
3-showroom parked
4-9K miles
5-within 10 miles.

I broke every rule in buying a Porsche. 1-I bought the first Boxster I tested (although not the first Porsche). 2-I did not do a pre purchase inspection (the salesman and I couldn't even figure out how to remove the engine cover).
3-I did not have all the service records, but with only 9K miles a logical risk.
The crazy thing is that I nearly let it get away, I missed the reserve price by barely a few hundred dollars and there was another bidder that was very close to me. Had that person merely increased their bid once more....curtains. I negotitated offline with the salesman (a newbie) to have it relisted in their showroom on a laptop where I would immediately use the 'buy it now' funciton (to take advantage of some discounts) .
They held the car in the showoroom, already 4 years old at that time but still spotless, for a few weeks while I sold my old car, a highly modified black Miata, which took no time selling as a seller flew in from Florida to buy it and drive it right back home within a hour of my picking him up at the airport... I should have never sold that car made an excellent autocross toy. But not before Mr. Florida gave me a ride to pick up the Boxster S at the dealer! I won't forget that day. The sound of the intake still stick in my mind.
I was very very lucky....from deciding on the Boxster after watching Top Gear to signing on the dotted line was barely a week and I got EXACTLY what I wanted.
If I had to do it again I would have definitely gone CPO used at a Porsche dealer.
Those are usually trade in that are pampered but well serviced and by year's end the dealers are itching to get them off the lot, particulary between Turkey Day and New Year's.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 11-04-2010 at 07:04 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 09:12 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap
my purchase went something like this.

I was very very lucky....from deciding on the Boxster after watching Top Gear to signing on the dotted line was barely a week and I got EXACTLY what I wanted.
If I had to do it again I would have definitely gone CPO used at a Porsche dealer.
Those are usually trade in that are pampered but well serviced and by year's end the dealers are itching to get them off the lot, particulary between Turkey Day and New Year's.
Oh my. This is like winning the lottery, which means you probably exhausted that chance in your lifetime :-)

mcfly
mcfly777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 09:45 AM   #16

'04 550 Special Edition

My neighbor is selling his '04 SE 550. It is in excellent condition, 11,000 miles. Totally garaged and covered and all records since he acquired it. If interested reply.

Located in Montrose, CO
bluturq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 06:15 PM   #17

I bought my 987(2006) from N.Scottsdale Porsche 2 months ago. Great people. Totally honest. Great price. Got the Porsche warrenty which I feel is invaluable!
darmahman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 04:48 PM   #18

Is one 987 year better than another? I don't want to spend 40K but rather 30K or very low 30's for a low mile 987 S. I'm thinking 05 is my best bet due to budget?
Old 11-05-2010, 07:19 PM   #19

Quote:
Is one 987 year better than another? I don't want to spend 40K but rather 30K or very low 30's for a low mile 987 S. I'm thinking 05 is my best bet due to budget?

Definitely yes. A couple of engine changes over the years.

I wouldn't buy an '05. Never, ever buy the first model year of a new car -- especially a car that can be brutally expensive to repair.

To answer your original question -- how/when? I would buy a CPO car only from a dealer, and I'd be doing it soon, definitely in the winter.

You might be surprised what low 30's can get you...

Good luck.

Last edited by fatmike; 11-05-2010 at 07:21 PM.
fatmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 07:31 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmike
Definitely yes. A couple of engine changes over the years.

I wouldn't buy an '05. Never, ever buy the first model year of a new car -- especially a car that can be brutally expensive to repair.

To answer your original question -- how/when? I would buy a CPO car only from a dealer, and I'd be doing it soon, definitely in the winter.

You might be surprised what low 30's can get you...

Good luck.

As others have mentioned, go to a Porsche dealer - so you can get a CPO car; I did, and I'm a prime example of why it's a good idea; got my 05 S in April - so far have replaced RMS and IMS shaft bearing seals, and several lesser items under the warranty; they pay and I just enjoy. If not, I'd be out a few grand by now and the whole purchase would have been a disaster, even though the cost of admission would have been lower.

John Y is offline   Reply With Quote