Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2003, 06:37 AM   #1

Anyone installed the rear speaker kit?

I'm considering installing the Porsche rear speaker kit as an upgrade to my factory sound system. This is a Porsche part and the installation seems DIY. Anyone else done this? Any advise? Alternatives?

William Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2003, 09:22 AM   #2

Thumbs up

I've done the PCNA kit and was happy with the result - with the caveat of recommending addition of tweeters as well. You can see my installation on the Boxster hacks site if you're interested.

Note: One change to a step I recommend in the site instructions is to avoid using the hot melt to tack the cables routed along the lip of the storage compartment - I later found out that apparently it gets hot enough under the rear window on a summer day for the glue to become liquid again and seep into the engine cover carpeting. Stick with the Porsche-supplied wire clips (if you can figure out how to use them w/out nicking the wires ) to avoid this.

Let me know if you have any questions on the material posted, etc.
donv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2003, 04:48 PM   #3

Smile Rear Speaker Kit

Thanks Gary. I think this will definitely be the next upgrade project. What did you pay for the kit? IRA has been willing to meet or beat the prices offered by any other Porsche dealers. Hope to see you soon.
Old 02-09-2003, 07:41 AM   #4

In January '02 it was $169.95 plus a minor shipping charge (mixed order, also got a Porsche cigarette lighter socket battery maintainer from them for me and a co-worker at the same time). BTW, I really recommend the battery maintainer - a thing of joy and simplicity to use!

P/Ns for these were:

PNA-986-KIT - Speaker Kit
000-043-202-56 - Battery Maintainer ($59.95)

-Don
Old 02-09-2003, 11:33 AM   #5

Some of our local Boxster owners have put in the rear speaker kits, but "cheated" as they run the wiring harness from the rear speakers to the radio head under the center console rather than around the passenger side rocker panel like was done on Don's instructions. Pelican also has instructions.

A local Boxster owner wants me to help him put in the cd changer and rear speaker kit. We will not cheat and do it the factory way. BTW I hear that the price of the rear speaker kit has been jacked up by $50. Jeff
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2003, 02:40 PM   #6

Jeff,

Where are you getting your parts at ? I have found Suncoast in Sarasota, FL seem to have the best prices.

Did the rear speaker kit acutally add "quality" to the sound, or just "sound," i.e., "volume?"
ehljags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 08:43 AM   #7

Sunset Imports in Oregon sells for cost plus 15%. Suncoast may have a special price on certain items - but for routine parts it is Sunset for me. There was just sound comming from back there - but I'm not an audio nut. Jeff
Old 02-10-2003, 09:48 AM   #8

Lightbulb thanks for the info - my local dealer will beat any advertised price

Thanks guys. This project is a go.
Old 02-10-2003, 11:59 AM   #9

I've had a few inquiries on this topic along the lines of the following:

"What size tweeters will fit? Is there enough power to run the tweeters? I'm not really an audio guy, but since most of my CD listening is behind the wheel, the extra effort certainly seems worth it. Thanks."

As I haven't yet added the tweeters, unfortunately I can't tell you what I did, but what I plan to do is add the "puck" style tweeters designed for surface dash or door mounting, and place them on the flat divider that the kit's speakers are integrated into (ending up as invisible behind the grille). There is enough space for a ~1.5-2" dia electrostatic tweeter to surface mount on the panel with no problem. As I understand it, electrostatics require no crossover (can direct wire them in) and are fairly efficient.

Jorge, given your other site's focus, can you shed any light on the tweeter selection issue? Recommendations?
Old 02-10-2003, 07:09 PM   #10

the tweeters will work for the sounds above 3000-5000 Hz; however, you will miss most of the mids and definately the bass. What do you plan to do for the bass frequencies (below 200-300 or so Hz?); also, the mids at the 500 - 4000 Hz range?. I am not sure about the electrostatics not needing a crossover. My home speakers have electrostatic tweeters and they are cross-over at 4200 Hz.
ehljags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 08:04 AM   #11

There are two "full range" drivers in each side of the storage compartment once you complete the work via the kit's instructions:

picture from hack site of two speakers in storage compartment;  speakers-in.jpg

Being "full range", they specialize in nothing and therefore compromise lows, mids, and highs. Lows are relatively non-directional so the door speakers do an OK job of filling them in. Mids are OK with just the kit's drivers. I personally found the highs to be lacking, so that is where the tweeter idea comes in (highs being very directional). Not being an audio engineer, all this is just IMHO.

Looking at the picture, you can see that there is a nice flat space on the outboard side of the divider panel to attach a surface mount tweeter on.

A good audiophile or electrical guru's opinion on how best to select the tweeters type (and how to connect them) is most desired - I've yet to purchase them! (FYI, the existing "full range" drivers are 4-ohm units {by Becker} and as you might see in the picture they are wired in parallel).

As to how the kit impacts the sound, I found it to be much improved by addition of the basic kit, especially with the top down. However, if you're really discerning about sound, you may not be satisfied unless you go the separate drivers (tweeter, mid, woofer, bass tube?) and aux amp route. After all, this kit is really just adding a few speakers to your existing factory radio...
Old 02-24-2003, 04:17 AM   #12

Unhappy Porsche Kit no longer available

Well it figures. The Porsche kit for the rear speakers in the Boxster is no longer available. The other list (you know, PPBB) has some good reviews for Jamey with Paris Audio, so I will give this a try. Will let you know how this turns out.
Old 02-24-2003, 01:54 PM   #13

I just checked with a friend who is in the parts department at my local dealer. There has been no PNA-986-KIT in the country for the past 2 months or so. It is an item that used to be in stock at my local dealer. You would have to call all the dealers to see if they still have one on the shelf.

He has a list of the dealers that still have them sitting on the shelf. But you would have to buy it throught my local dealer in San Jose, would would get it from another dealer. And no, he would not give me the list.

It is $279.21. Suggest retail in my 2001 price list is $184.90. The $170 special is history. I will give anyone on this board the contact info if you email me. Jeff
Old 02-24-2003, 02:16 PM   #14

Cool Paris Audio has an alternative that is better!

The other guys (you know PPBB) turned me on to Jamey at Paris Audio in LA. Jamey will install better quality speakers in the rear storage compartment and return the whole deal to you for $300.00. Comes complete with wiring harness, etc., just DIY from there on out. Will keep you posted on how it works, etc. Paris Audio is at (877) 996-4434. Be sure and ask for Jamey.
Old 03-01-2003, 11:06 AM   #15

William, how's it going with the Paris Audio kit? Have you got it yet? If so, I'd like to hear what they use for the various drivers/speakers, etc. I'm more than willing to "leverage" their tweeter solution, if you like it.
Old 03-02-2003, 02:09 PM   #16

Wink Rear Speaker upgrade

Well, I just packed up the rear storage compartment and mailed them to Paris Audio. Expect it back in about two weeks. Paris Audio uses a 3.5 inch eclipse speaker on each side. Jamey says this speaker is much better in sound quality than the Porsche kit. Lets compare them when installed. Will you be at IRA on March 16th? Hope to see you there.
Old 03-02-2003, 05:58 PM   #17

"Sounds" like a great idea. Yes, I hope to make it on the 16th - however, my Boxster will still likely be in hibernation at that time... can't wait for snow's end and spring's road salt rinse-off.
Old 03-13-2003, 02:53 PM   #18

Smile Enhancement: Tweeters Selection

My tweeters are scheduled to arrive today.

Finally did a bit of research and reminded myself that what I wanted was Piezoelectric (not electrostatic, as I indicated in an earlier post) tweeters and was able to locate a good app note from CTS for some effective small tweeters, model #KSN1193A. These will not require cross-overs, only a small resistor to protect the amp from any possibility of damage at high power/high frequencies (the Porsche/Becker head unit shouldn't generate even close to enough power to cause this, but just to be safe...).

Hope to get these installed this weekend, will reply with the set up and results when I'm done.

Last edited by donv; 03-13-2003 at 03:02 PM.
Old 03-25-2003, 08:41 AM   #19

Unhappy

Finished the tweeter installation, sound is better than before but not as good as I had hoped. Basically, this issue may be the seat headrests and the amount of "highs" enhancement... the new tweeters add something, but the headrests are in the way of the direct path to the ear and there is little back there to act like a good reflector (note that the dash tweeters reflect off the windshield to get to your ears).

When I tried the piezo tweeters before install on my home stereo, they were easily overwhelmed by the better quality dome tweeters I used in my home speakers. So it is probably a tweeter selection issue more than a failing in the idea of adding the tweeters... the problem is the really small space you have to work with. I had to create a platform to mount these relatively tiny tweeters to just in order to clear the existing drivers and the storage compartment features.

William, have you received the Paris audio goodies package back yet?

Last edited by donv; 03-25-2003 at 08:46 AM.
Old 03-30-2003, 12:16 PM   #20

Our local Boxster group got together yesterday to work on cars. One of the things we did was to install the rear speaker kit in Ray's car. Raman had put in 2 kits b/f so it went very fast. And we video taped the entire install - including a cd changer install on the same car.

You can buy the individual parts that come with the kit. All you really need are the speaker grills - the rest you can make up yourself. In fact on Ray's car all we use from the kit was the wiring harnesses and grills. He did not like the 4 speakers that come with the kit so he bought a pair of high quality speakers with tweeters.

My pictures never seem to show up - so I hope this picture of the kit with the storage bins removed will show up. Jeff