Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2010, 06:50 PM   #1

Broken Litronic Internals

Hiya Gents, I recently purchased a pair of used '99 996 litronic assemblies and while they look perfect outside there is something wrong with the internals on both. The main projector is somewhat loose and bounces around inside when the whole headlight is given a shake and I could hear something loose inside. Pulling the rear covers off a small piece of plastic rolled out of each headlight. Can these be taken apart from the back to access the main projector unit and have the offending broken pieces glued back on or is it the end of these lights? Thanks!

Roy_Josef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 02:48 AM   #2

Roy, Don't mean to be the pee on the cornflakes but successful surgery on those units is going to be an exceptional challenge. Afterwords if the adjusters don't work perfect , you will never be able to get them right.

Since you likely can't take them back you might as well do deep surgery, the best advantage you have is that most of the unit is hidden, you might be able to pull it off if you only need to breech the outer plastic, you are careful not to upset anything that will show through the lens cosmetically and you catch a break in respect to figuring out where those pieces need to be, I've never seen an exploded view of the internals of a headlamp unit, good luck. Let us know if you end up with really unique work bench lights, you could power them off of an old telephone plug in wall unit.

Last edited by eightsandaces; 10-21-2010 at 02:52 AM.
eightsandaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 02:03 AM   #3

http://www.********************************************.com/porsche-parts/986-97-04/905-01.php

I think this might be the correct exploded view.
Spinnaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 01:15 PM   #4

Thanks for the help fellas. Turned out to be an extremely simple fix. Looks like I got lucky! Cheers.

Roy_Josef is offline   Reply With Quote