Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2010, 08:44 AM   #1

Starting Problem

My 01S is having a sporadic starting problem. From time to time (more frequent recently) I turn the key to start and nothing happens. No buzz, no click.....absolutely nothing! My first thought was I need to replace the ignition switch.....again, but I'm having second thoughts. The battery is fully charged. Interestingly I can get it to crank by just moving the car. Simply put it in neutral, open the door, push with my foot on the ground and move the car 6" - 12". It will then crank. I'm now thinking the starter has a dead spot on it but that doesn't make sense either because simply rolling the car won't rotate the starter motor to a new spot. Or does it? So far rolling the car a foot has worked every time.

Thoughts anyone?

cgeaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 09:09 AM   #2

ignition switch,battery,starter,clutch position switch etc....a test light and voltmeter will help find out which one maybe bad
extanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 11:58 PM   #3

Clutch sensor?

I am having the same problem lately, but it feels like it is a problem with the clutch. If it doesn't respond, I simply let the clutch out, hold it in harder, and it turns over.
Not sure why moving the car would affect anything in the starter sequence.

2001 S Speed Yellow, matching interior, German Plates!!
Iflylow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 04:42 AM   #4

Message deleted

Last edited by Circles; 10-05-2012 at 04:44 AM.
Circles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:07 AM   #5

Garage
If the instrument cluster lights up properly; everything turns on as it should and the car does not crank, I would be leaning more towards a clutch switch. However like extanker said, there are many factors that are playing into the starting of the vehicle...

(odd how rolling the car back a little will allow it to start ) Ill have to look into that.

-Ty

*Speed Yellow 986*
stephe57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:54 AM   #6

If all lights come on with key check to make sure your floor mat didn't slide up under the clutch pedal.
Uller God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 05:36 AM   #7

I have the same problem. However, I bypassed the clutch switch, Still no go. I guess I'll try a new ignition switch. I'm at a loss. Car will run if jumped from another car.
I spoke with one of the dealers and they said the cable from the starter to the terminal block goes bad sometimes...more common in 911's but they've seen it boxsters
'05 Sportster
Brockmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 07:16 AM   #8
Homeboy981

Garage
Solenoid? Sounds like what was happening on another vehicle I had…part was cheap $$$ wise. Do we have one?
Old 10-21-2012, 07:29 AM   #9
Ex Esso kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockmeister View Post
I have the same problem. However, I bypassed the clutch switch, Still no go. I guess I'll try a new ignition switch. I'm at a loss. Car will run if jumped from another car.
I spoke with one of the dealers and they said the cable from the starter to the terminal block goes bad sometimes...more common in 911's but they've seen it boxsters

Then clearly it's spark power loss. Pull the battery connectors and clean them. Double the cable with a jumper cable from starter to terminal block to check line. Could be the switch too as you already surmised.
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 05:29 PM   #10

I put the charger on it yesterday and left it 'till this afternoon. It started. As long as the battery has 12.6 volts or better, it starts. Once it dips to 12.4..forget it. I had to put the car back together and it about an hour. When I was done.....no turn over. I then jumped it with the beemer and rove to my GF's house. 1/2 drive. It's beem sitting about 2 hrs and I just went out to see if it started. It did. I'll check it later. Maybe it just need a 14.4 jolt.
Ghost. I've got the sandpaper in the car and will use it as the diagnostics unfold. What a CF!
'05 Sportster
Old 10-21-2012, 06:14 PM   #11

Get one of these and use it. Everyone who owns a car should have one in their tool box.
The first thing to check when you are having starter issues, are the battery terminal connections. They suffer from a lot of corrosion issues from the presence of the battery acid. When they get corroded, they will often pass just enough current to make the lights work, but not enough to turn over the starter. After you clean the connections and put it back together, put some battery terminal anti corrosion spray on the battery posts and the cable clamps.

3X Water Pump, Clear side markers, Crios Mod, Front engine mount, Flywheel, clutch, RMS, AOS, MAF, serpentine belt, power brake vacuum line, battery, 2X CV boots, Fuel filter, Oil filler tube, 3X ignition switch, 90K service, gas cap
Spinnaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 06:54 PM   #12
2001 Arctic Silver 2.7

Garage
Really, it's bad starter...
Old 10-21-2012, 06:56 PM   #13

After you clean the connections, a bad starter would be the next thing to look at.

Last edited by Spinnaker; 10-21-2012 at 07:01 PM.
Spinnaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 02:05 AM   #14

Garage
I had a similar problem with a piece of equipment recently (not my Porsche) it would start sometimes and other times it would not. I cleaned all the connections, replaced the battery cables and solenoid....and cussed a lot.

When I put it on the charger (start mode) or jumped it from one of the trucks it would fire up every time.... Tester was showing 12+ volts.

The problem was the battery- it had plenty of voltage but not enough amps to consistently crank the engine over.

I replaced my battery and have not had a problem since.

Take it to a battery shop and they will test it for you.
sweeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:34 AM   #15

Update: After jumping it Sunday afternoon and driving it about 20 miles, I parked it for the evening. It was off for 12 hrs. I woke this morning and got in. She fired right up. I drove back to my house and took my other car to work. When I get home I'll see if it's still good.
PS: The connections aren't even dirty. No corrosion.
'05 Sportster
Old 10-22-2012, 04:21 PM   #16

I checked it once I got home. No go. Battery read 12.5. Starter or cable next.
'05 Sportster
Old 10-24-2012, 05:35 PM   #17

Garage
I have the exact same issue occasionally ..... turn the key and nothing..not a sound or movement other than the sound of the key turning in the ignition...it NEVER happens on a cold start...only when the engine is warm.....I replaced the easy clutch and ignition switches with no change.....it's never left me ... always starts after a few tries ...never more than about 10

it will start right up as though I was making it up :
Old 10-25-2012, 01:18 PM   #18

I think it's the starter itself. I'ts not the battery..not the switch....what the hell else could it be?
'05 Sportster
Old 10-29-2012, 09:32 AM   #19

I replaced the starter. Still no go. Now I'm down to the switch. Should be here in a couple of days.
'05 Sportster
Old 10-29-2012, 04:51 PM   #20

Garage
I read on another thread that a faulty starter ground wire was the issue for someone ...I'm still searching ......haven't replaced the starter yet ...