Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2010, 05:17 AM   #1

Cool Strange Question For A Monday

As a new boxster owner, I am curious on what music do you guys (and gals,or course like to play with the top down and the sun shining?? As a drummer this question to me just begs to be asked

I'll go first....

red room jazz group or anything 80's hair bands...I know,I know...weird combo!!

Thanks for playing along!!!

J'sboxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 06:45 AM   #2

Garage
I listen to rock, mostly grunge (90's) but love the older stuff too like aerosmith, scorpions etc.

and modern rock such as alternative and some hardcore.
Lobo1186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 06:55 AM   #3

Lots of stuff, just no country.

I have my nightime drivers, drive it like I stole it, and everyday cruising songs.
Highlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 07:30 AM   #4

Garage
I very seldom have the radio on when driving the Boxster. I like the sound of the engine etc. I like all music. I'm from the late 70s and early 80s punk/new-wave generation... Lots of New Order, Blonde, Sex Pistols etc. but I was raised in a classical music environment. I do like most anything from the Baroque period. One of my most memorable early 80s concerts was when I saw Wendy-O-Williams and the Plasmatics play in a bar in Wichita, KS in about '82 or so. I said something offensive to her, can't remember what... but anyway, she dumped a pitcher of beer on my head. I felt honored. My brother is a music producer at NPR in DC. He decides who gets airplay and who doesn't. At one time he was getting nearly 400 CDs a week from different bands from all over the world.

sean
SeanZ4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 08:02 AM   #5

WideSpread Panic.....
02box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 08:20 AM   #6

"And I'll tell you something else right now. I have the solution to the drug problem in this country. Nobody wants to hear it, but I have it. Not less drugs, more drugs. Get more drugs, and give 'em to the right ******* people. Mmm mm, 'cause every time you hear about some famous guy overdosing on drugs, it's always some really talented guy. It's always like Len Bias or Janis Joplin or Jimi Hendrix or John Belushi. You know what I mean!? The people you wanna have overdose on drugs never would! Like Mötley Crüe would never ******* overdose man, never! You could put them in a room with two tons of crack. They come out a half an hour later, "Rock on man!" "****************, they're still alive. ****! They're probably gonna make another double-live album now, goddammit!"

I take music pretty seriously. You see that scar on my wrist? You see that? You know where that's from? I heard the Bee Gees were getting back together again. I couldn't take it, okay! That was the only good thing about the 1980's. We got rid of one of the Bee Gees. One down, three to go. That's what I say, folks. Yeah! Here's ten bucks; bring me the head of Barry Manilow, alright? I wanna drink beer out of his empty head! I wanna have a Barry Manilow skull keg party at my apartment, OK?! You write the songs; we'll drink the beer out of your head.

We live in a country where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest; Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one ******* bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God! I want it! (pounds floor) God! Jesus! Now we've got twenty-five more years of AYAYAYAYAYAYAY! Yeah, I'm real ******* happy now, God. I'm wearing a huge happy hat. Jesus Christ! I mean Stevie Ray Vaughan is dead and we can't get Jon Bon Jovi in a helicopter. Come on, folks. "Get on that helicopter, Jon. Shut the **** up and get on that helicopter! There's a hairdresser in there. Yeah, go ahead in there, yeah, yeah."

I don't get it. You know, I just don't get it. I missed the ******* point some place. The boat left and I wasn't on the boat. Explain it to me. Heavy metal bands are on trial because kids commit suicide? What's that about? Judas Priest on trial because "My kid bought the record, and listened to the lyrics, ....." Well that's great! That sets a legal precedent. Does that mean I can sue Dan Fogelberg for making me into a ***** in the mid-70's. Is that possible, huh? Huh?! "Your honor, between him and James Taylor, I didn't get a ******* 'till I was 27 years old. I was in Colorado wearing hiking boots eating granola. I want some ******* money right now!"

Let me make sure I'm crystal clear on this issue, OK? Heavy metal fans are buying heavy metal records, taking the records home, listening to the records and then blowing their heads off with shotguns? Where's the problem? That's an unemployment solution right there, folks! It's called natural selection. It's the bottom of the food chain, OK? I say we put more messages on the records. "Kill the band, kill your parents, then yourself, OK!? Make sure you get your whole head in front of the shotgun. Thank you for calling! Thank you for calling!"

I'll tell you something else I don't get, OK? This whole thing, these bands going backwards, you know what I'm talking about? This whole nostalgia for the late 60's, early 70's that's happening right now. The Black Crowes wearing bell bottoms again? I don't ******* think so, OK! I wore them once, they sucked, I didn't get laid, I'm not wearing them again! Let me tell you something. We need a two and a half hour movie about the Doors? Folks, no we don't. I can sum it up for you in five seconds, OK? "I'm drunk. I'm nobody. I'm drunk. I'm famous. I'm drunk. I'm ******* dead." There's the whole movie, OK!? Big fat dead guy in a bathtub, there's your title for you.

And I also don't go for this other thing now, with MTV being so big where you get a band that gets a hit video, and all of a sudden they think that they're like icons and they can tell us how to feel about environmental issues and how to vote and stuff. You know what I'm talking about? Like R.E.M. "Shiny Happy People" "Hey Hey Hey Hey Hey! Pull that bus over to the side of the pretentiousness turnpike, alright!? I want everybody off the bus. I want the shiny people over here, and the happy people over here, OK! I represent angry, gun-toting, meat-eating ******* people, alright!" Sit down and shut the **** up, Michael! Don Henley's gonna tell me how to vote. I don't ******* think so, OK? I got two words for Don Henley, Joe ******* Walsh, OK!? Thanks for calling, Don! How long's your pony tail now? OK!

All these rock stars should've been killed, man. Every single goddamned one of them. Right after John Lennon died, we should've gotten the Partridge Family bus and driven around and killed them all one by one, you know? Elvis Presley should have been shot in the head back in 1957. Somebody should've walked up behind Elvis in '57 with a .44 Magnum, put the barrel of the gun right up to his brain stem and just pulled the trigger, so you can remember Elvis in a nice way. Wouldn't it be nice to remember Elvis thin, with a big head of hair? Maybe that gold lame suit. Wouldn't that be nice? Because how do you remember Elvis? You know how you remember Elvis. He was found in the toilet with his pants around his ankles and his big fat hairy sweaty king of rock and roll *** exposed to the world and his final piece of kingly evidence floating in the toilet behind him! Creepy! One of his aides had to walk in and go, "Damn, Elvis is dead. I'd better flush the toilet. Oh, man, I should've saved that! I coulda made some money off of that! Damn, man! A ding dang do!"

That's why I'm glad Jesus died when he did. Oh yeah. Because if he lived to be 40, he woulda ended up like Elvis, come on! Oh yeah, he had that big entourage. Twelve guys willing to do whatever he wanted to do. He was famous already at that point. If he lived to be 40, he'd be walking around Jerusalem with a big fat beer gut and black sideburns going, "Damn, I'm the son of God. Give me a cheeseburger and french fries right now. Where's Mary Magdalene, I want a ******* now. Come on now! **** you, I'll turn you into a leper. Give me a cheeseburger now, goddammit. Love me tender, love me true, empty my colostomy bag! Hoo Ah! Hoo Ah! Oh, I think I **** my pants on that last 'Hoo Ah'! Change my diaper now!"

I'm going to hell for that bit. And you're all coming with me! And don't try to get out of it, "We didn't laugh at that bit, Jesus, please!" "Shut up! Get on the bus with Leary and Scorsese. You're going right to ******* hell!" And you know what hell is folks. It's Andy Gibb, singing Shadow Dancing for eons and eons. And you have to wear orange plaid bell bottoms and sit next to the Bay City Rollers. "How you guys doing? This is gonna suck!"

I was reading an interview with Keith Richards in a magazine and in the interview Keith Richards intimated that kids should not do drugs. Keith Richards says that kids should not do drugs! Keith, we can't do any more drugs because you already ******* did them all, alright! There's none left! We have to wait 'till you die and smoke your ashes! Jesus Christ! Talk about the pot and the ******' kettle."
-Dennis Leary

Last edited by Stroked & Blown; 09-27-2010 at 08:22 AM.
Stroked & Blown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 08:22 AM   #7

Garage
small world

My brother I was just writing about used to live in Athens GA. I think your band is from there?? I used to love going to that town when he lived there. Actually the 40-Watt club is the only bar that I ever got "cut off" in! I think the band playing that night was Elf Power.

sean
SeanZ4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 04:13 PM   #8

+1 on that sweet sound of the boxer engine.
Old 09-27-2010, 05:22 PM   #9

Wink Go Athens!!!!

I used to play some small bars there years ago!! I bought some cymbals from the late drummer for REM. I miss playing in college towns!!! Ahhh marriage college and kids kinda put that on hold. Weird... I have a brother named Sean spelled like your same.
Anyone else here play any instruments?
J'sboxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 08:18 PM   #10
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
I play the tenor sax.

As for music listening during drives, I tend to not do it in the Boxster often, or in any other car, really...I'm with the others who enjoy the sound of the car, and it cuts down on potential distractions. I do listen to music while driving occasionally, though. I'm not very genre specific, I listen to anything that I like the sound of, but I do listen to a lot of alternative rock and other forms of rock, along with plenty of music that's a good number of decades older than I am that falls into all sorts of categories.

1997 Arctic Silver Boxster, 5-spd
IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 08:38 PM   #11

Here's my playlist "Top Down Music". Pretty weird eh?
Old 09-28-2010, 02:52 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by J'sboxie
I used to play some small bars there years ago!! I bought some cymbals from the late drummer for REM. I miss playing in college towns!!! Ahhh marriage college and kids kinda put that on hold. Weird... I have a brother named Sean spelled like your same.
Anyone else here play any instruments?
Santana

I don't play guitars ,I just build them.Seems funny but its the working of the wood and not the strings that I enjoy. Ed
cvhs18472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 03:28 AM   #13

Anything by springsteen...The Eagles, with a bit of Fleetwood Mac...for summer time roof down cruising
and Guns N Roses for when I feel the need for speed!
dalerafferty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 05:07 AM   #14

Whoa Stroked & Blown !

Me, I haven't turned the radio on in the boxster for over four years now.

Orlando - 99 BMW M Coupe (autocross toy), '11 Mazdaspeed 3 (dog hauler), '99 10AE Miata (the new daily driver)
kabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 10:36 AM   #15

Garage
Paul Weller - Wild Wood (Album)

i challenge anyone with a boxster to listen to fleetwood mac's the chain and not put your toe down just a little bit more..

2x Range Rover Classic & CSK

Last edited by Bruce Wayne; 09-29-2010 at 10:38 AM.
Bruce Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote