Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2010, 06:27 PM   #1

Newbie - Key fob remote not working

I just purchased a 03 Boxster S with 32K miles on it. The car drives and looks like new but I can't get the keyfob to unlock the doors or the trunks. I've replaced the battery but there's it still doesn't work and there's no red led light blinking from the remote. Any suggestions? I have 2 remotes and they both do the same thing, no blinking red led when I press the lock/unlock button.

choste11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 07:19 PM   #2

Seems obvious, but did you verify you got the batteries in right-side up? You didn't mention that you checked the polarity of the batteries in the case.

Key fobs, even if they've lost their programming (rare) and won't lock/unlock doors still flash the little red light. Why neither of yours are flashing is really odd.

You know, you could swing by a dealer and show them to the parts guy and he may be able to help you for free.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 04:05 PM   #3

THe battery only fits in one way right? I have the correct battery, CR2032. The previous owner said it was blinking before but stopped doing it. He didn't drive the car much so I'm not sure how much that affects it. Any other ideas?
choste11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 09:45 PM   #4

I used to throw my keys on the table till i had same problem. pry open you key. usually lock/unlock button comes unattached from board. just put a small point of soldering with a soldering iron. check both sides. hope this helps.
xtremecc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 09:43 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremecc
I used to throw my keys on the table till i had same problem. pry open you key. usually lock/unlock button comes unattached from board. just put a small point of soldering with a soldering iron. check both sides. hope this helps.
I had the same problem, sort of, except it was the button that was hooped, not just separated from the board. I replaced the button and all good.

However, the OP is saying he can't get the trunk buttons to work either, so he's got some other issue. It is odd that both of them don't work at all. A "receiver" problem?

To the OP, there are some ways of "rebooting" a key - search the forum (and RennTech). If that doesn't work and the battery is good and in properly, then you likely need new keys.

Last edited by clickman; 09-20-2010 at 09:45 AM.
clickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 11:26 AM   #6

One of two keys won't work

From the service manual:

The hand-held transmitter radio remote control function is unavailable under the following 5 circumstances:

1. Empty battery

2. Radio transmitter outside lock-in range: If the transmitter is operated more than 256 times without reaching the associated receiver (vehicle outside range or vehicle battery disconnected), the vehicle will not recognize the radio transmitter. If the number of operations is below 1,024, it is possible to re-synchronize:
Switch on ignition with key and valid transponder.
Switch off ignition.
Remove ignition key from steering lock.
Operate transmitter within 6 seconds after the key is removed.

3. Interference due to other users on same radio frequency: The key may be used to unlock the door manually, but this will not disarm the immobilizer (alarm). To disarm the alarm, insert the key in the ignition and turn.

4. Energy-saving mode: After 5 days of inactivity, the vehicle's radio receiver is switched off. The radio receiver will reactivate after the vehicle is started.

5. Fault in hand-held transmitter or vehicle: If the LED on the hand-held transmitter stays dark when the transmitter is operated, this means the battery is empty or the transmitter is faulty. If the LED on the hand-held transmitter flashes and the alarm readiness lamp on the dashboard flashes, then the transmitter and receiver are communicating. If the dashboard readiness lamp stays dark and conditions 1 to 4 above are ruled out, then there is a system fault with the vehicle.

I tried all these and no joy. One key works perfectly, the other's LED blinks when the buttons are pressed but does not cause the readiness lamp to light up. Any ideas before I take it to the dealer?

Last edited by hcj986s; 05-25-2011 at 11:27 AM. Reason: needs clarification
hcj986s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 04:59 PM   #7

When that happened with my remote, I just had to lock and unlock the door with the key and then the remote started working. I think I read something about having to use it every so many weeks or you have to reset it by using the key in the door.
Old 11-01-2014, 05:17 AM   #8

Digging up an old thread. Is it possible the car could just lose the remote programming? I have tried everything and mine simply won't work. The remote is operating, the car just doesn't see it.
Swhitcomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 05:39 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swhitcomb View Post
Digging up an old thread. Is it possible the car could just lose the remote programming? I have tried everything and mine simply won't work. The remote is operating, the car just doesn't see it.
What do you mean the remote is working but the car can't see it? What makes you think it's working?
First step for me would be to change the battery to a new one.
Does your other fob work?
Old 11-01-2014, 12:39 PM   #10

Battery is new. When you press any button, it lights up. However, the car doesn't respond. Unfortunately I only have one key fob.
Swhitcomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 05:00 AM   #11

I have no idea why this worked for me but it did. I put the battery in upside down, and then put it back together and pressed the buttons a few times. Then I removed the battery and put it in right side up, and it worked again. Worth a try.
Joe B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 02:23 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremecc View Post
I would recommend the above just had my keys repaired by this firm

car key remote keyfob repairs new key fob replacement cases supplied
After note :- "International repairs welcome." seen this in the information write up.

Mine were working intermittent, when I opened my fob you could feel movement in the top small micro presser switch, this was losing the connection on the circuit board at times I would not even get a red light on the fob.
Just got my Fob back from them and it works a 100% now, I didn’t realise how annoying it was until I had it fixed works perfect and even from a further distance now they have either put a new battery in (I had changed that as a first resort when not working tidy a month ago) or more than likely it is a better connection on the circuit board now.
Guvs.

Last edited by Guvs; 11-04-2014 at 07:06 AM.
Guvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 10:10 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcj986s View Post
From the service manual:

The hand-held transmitter radio remote control function is unavailable under the following 5 circumstances:

1. Empty battery

2. Radio transmitter outside lock-in range: If the transmitter is operated more than 256 times without reaching the associated receiver (vehicle outside range or vehicle battery disconnected), the vehicle will not recognize the radio transmitter. If the number of operations is below 1,024, it is possible to re-synchronize:
Switch on ignition with key and valid transponder.
Switch off ignition.
Remove ignition key from steering lock.
Operate transmitter within 6 seconds after the key is removed.

3. Interference due to other users on same radio frequency: The key may be used to unlock the door manually, but this will not disarm the immobilizer (alarm). To disarm the alarm, insert the key in the ignition and turn.

4. Energy-saving mode: After 5 days of inactivity, the vehicle's radio receiver is switched off. The radio receiver will reactivate after the vehicle is started.

5. Fault in hand-held transmitter or vehicle: If the LED on the hand-held transmitter stays dark when the transmitter is operated, this means the battery is empty or the transmitter is faulty. If the LED on the hand-held transmitter flashes and the alarm readiness lamp on the dashboard flashes, then the transmitter and receiver are communicating. If the dashboard readiness lamp stays dark and conditions 1 to 4 above are ruled out, then there is a system fault with the vehicle.

I tried all these and no joy. One key works perfectly, the other's LED blinks when the buttons are pressed but does not cause the readiness lamp to light up. Any ideas before I take it to the dealer?
Resurrect this old thread.
I have just the same problem as highlighted above.

I have 2 Keys and both flash when button is pressed (although the faulty one less quickly when button held down).

Faulty one retains code and will manually open doors and set alarm and start car but won't work remotely.

Did @hcj986s ever solve the problem please?
RichRobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 12:32 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by choste11 View Post
THe battery only fits in one way right? I have the correct battery, CR2032. The previous owner said it was blinking before but stopped doing it. He didn't drive the car much so I'm not sure how much that affects it. Any other ideas?
No, it will go in either way.
Tcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 01:00 AM   #15

Boxster key fob problems

Hi, on prising open the key fob gently, then removing the protective rubber cover, lifting out the circuit board, I noticed a small black plastic pin fall out onto the table. On closer inspection, this holds the circuit board in position inside the fob. So my board was slightly twisted inside fob, changed the battery anyway and reassembled fob, taking care to position board without pin. Tested and working, but I won't be throwing my keys onto the table anymore, as this could move board and make the connectors inside fob not touch respective switch..
vandorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 07:54 AM   #16

Wow... talk about raising the dead... Lot's of that going around the board lately. Zombie threads! Orig post was 2010!
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 05:26 PM   #17

Thumbs up It works!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe B View Post
I have no idea why this worked for me but it did. I put the battery in upside down, and then put it back together and pressed the buttons a few times. Then I removed the battery and put it in right side up, and it worked again. Worth a try.
That's one of the craziest fixes I've ever heard, but 'IT WORKS'. Tried everything else to get dead key to work, and after putting in battery upside down and back to right side up, the key came back to life. Amazing, thank you!!
denny992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 10:21 AM   #18

Whatever works!!

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

alansdavid is offline   Reply With Quote