Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2010, 05:15 PM   #1

Ignition Won't Turn Off

I'm new to the forum but have owned my 02 Boxster S four years. Overall it has been a great car to drive with only minor repairs. My current problem that I'd like some help on concerns the ignition. A few weeks ago my AC started acting funny, the fan would come on but vary in speed indication, no snow flake, no cool air, etc. Shortly, there after my alternator light came on. I suspected my original problem was the ignition switch since turning it had become progressly harder in recent weeks prior. I also thought that the switch going open with the car running could have crashed the alternator regulator. So I order the replacement switch and a new alternator.
The switch that I pulled out did not match the one sent. It did match the 2004 part so I guessed that my switch assembly have perhaps been changed out during warranty before I owned the car. I bought the 2004 switch installed it and the new alternator.
My biggest mistake was deciding to take my wife to lunch in my now purring red Boxster. Everything worked as it should other than the airbag light from removing the passenger seat (has to be reset). After driving 40 minutes or so, I pull in and turn off the key. I also let the clutch out after pulling the key, not noticing that I was holding the key out of ignition and the motor was still running. Does it sound to you like the actual key assembly is busted? The key turns free like nothing is moving but the key tumbler. It does not make that mechanical chunk when the key is removed. Any ideas are appreciated. Fortunately, my other foot was on the brake and the engine died. Then all the lights in the light bar are lit up like the key is on. The steering wheel is not locked.

E9project is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 02:00 AM   #2

Shorter question. When changing out the ignition assembly in a 02 Boxster is it best to go with the 2004 assembly? Does anyone have a link to what is involved in this conversion, like how to get your old keys to work? Thanks
Old 09-08-2010, 05:29 AM   #3

Just replace the switch with one of these. Pretty easy to do. When mine failed, all kinds of stuff goes crazy with the car.

Buy this:

http://www.****************************************************.com/product/AUDI4A0905849B.html?Category_Code=986Keys

'01 S - Guards Red / Beige - Surrendered - 04.18.12
jwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 06:22 AM   #4

Here are the instructions and...

Quote:
Originally Posted by E9project
Shorter question. When changing out the ignition assembly in a 02 Boxster is it best to go with the 2004 assembly? Does anyone have a link to what is involved in this conversion, like how to get your old keys to work? Thanks
... parts that you'll need.

http://www.pedrosgarage.com/Site_3/Replace_Ignition_Switch.html

It's a pretty common issue.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro
Old 09-08-2010, 01:27 PM   #5

Is it the mechanical assembly?

Thanks Jwade and ppbon. BTW, I had visited Pedro's garage on-line when I changed the plastic VW/Audi part. Your site is really well done.

Maybe I just bought a defective part, but it sure seems like something broke in the main key assembly-the metal part. I'm traveling this week, but when I get home I pull the plastic part off and see if the key will turn the tang. The odd thing is that I first bought part 4AO 905 849B that ******************************** listed for a 2002, but it did not seems to fit right. The old part was the ABO 905 849 that is mentioned in Pedro's Garage as being for the 2004 car. So I bought one of these and put it in. I started and stop the car maybe six times before the incident mentioned in my first note. Now the key turns freely left or right like it's not hooked to anything and it does not make that solid chunk when the key is removed. I removed the key and the car kept running. When I killed the engine by letting out the clutch the dash light lite up like the key was on while the key is off and out of the keyhole.

Thanks again.
Old 09-08-2010, 01:36 PM   #6

I think your symptoms lead to a bad switch. Just change that portion the way Pedro's site shows and I think all will be good.

I was amazed to see what happened when my switch went out. Key moved all over the place, lights went crazy..The final straw was when I was at a gas station a couple miles from home with the top down, and rain was coming and I couldn't get the car to do jack.

Finally after some serious playing with the switch mechanicsm, it worked one last time and I was able to get the car home.

When the ignition switch in these cars fails, it completely imobilizes the vehicle and you might as well have a blow engine...Amazing that a sub 30 dollar part can affect the car that much.

Leave the mechanical portion alone and just replace the electronic portion I put in my last post from Suncoast. You might find it cheaper, but that's where I bought mine.

Old 09-08-2010, 04:30 PM   #7

Thanks, I change it this weekend.
Old 09-09-2010, 09:42 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by E9project
Thanks, I change it this weekend.

This seems like its tough to get at. I have purchased the part but getting at that seems like removal of a lot of stuff. Am I wrong? I have the Bentley Manual as well.
97 Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 03:21 PM   #9

Changing the plastic switch takes some flexibility to get under the steering wheel and you have to blind remove a couple of small screws. Use a good light and follow the instructions in the link below from Pedro's Garage.
Old 09-10-2010, 06:51 AM   #10

You have to remove the plastic ductwork to get at the switch. It's easy, just slide it out. The pain in the ass is getting your body upside down in there just right to remove it, but you do not have to remove a seat or anything to do this.

Just get a small step stool and place it by the door once you open it. I set a blanket over the stool to keep the stool from hitting the paint. By placing the stool, it allowed my body to stay at the angle of the door swing.

Get you a couple flashlights too. One small one for your hand and one larger one that can sit close to the accellerator pedal and angle up into the area where you will be working.

To remove the set screws for the ignition switch, you need a flat head micro screwdriver.

Old 09-10-2010, 02:43 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwade
The pain in the ass is getting your body upside down in there just right to remove it, but you do not have to remove a seat or anything to do this.
The good thing about having replaced a few dozen is that I can do it just kneeling outside the car (on a soft rubber mat).
I can feel my way and don't have to crawl into the footwell.

Hope no one has to replace that many in their own cars.

Happy Boxstering,
Pedro
Old 09-11-2010, 05:41 AM   #12

E9,
My 00 did the same thing a few months ago. The instructions were very good on Pedros site and the only thing that would have helped get it done on the first attempt would have been to have small screw driver with a larger diameter handle that's still short and compact. My biggest difficulty was that I couldn't see clearly because the close distance and akward angle my glasses didn't work and without glasses I'm lost. ironically after I finished Pedro sent a photo of some other people having done the same thing I eventually did (add something to the handle to get better grip). It didn't seem logical that all the problems were from that little plastic piece but they were. AC quit working, car would run with key out, all kinds of funny stuff.
ken

SoCalKen is offline   Reply With Quote