Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2010, 08:06 AM   #1

Cool Boxster with Cayenne Suspension & Big Brakes Upgrade Swap Help!

Working on my 99 Boxster and I would like to know any available upgrade swaps for suspensions and big brakes. Can the Cayenne brakes/ suspension parts work?

Any suggestions? Thanks

Last edited by alipendier; 08-20-2010 at 04:14 PM.
alipendier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 07:20 AM   #2
Doc

How much power is your engine putting out, to necessitate these changes?
Fluellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 07:25 AM   #3

Seems like Boxster S big reds would be an easier conversion, I'd be surprised if Cayenne rotors fit the Boxster. I don't understand the track change either, what is your ultimate goal?
eightsandaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 08:19 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by alipendier
Any suggestions? Thanks
Yeah: Forget about it. First, you already have all the brakes you will ever need; and as far as moving the wheels out 4 inches on each side, besides looking ridiculous, you will be encountering all kinds of interference and evil suspension loading issues...........

Rather than “bling” spend your money on some DE driving lessons……..

Last edited by JFP in PA; 08-20-2010 at 08:50 AM.
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 01:06 PM   #5
Track rat

Garage
The sure thing front brake deal is to simply bolt on Box S rotors and calipers. It is a direct replacement and will improve your front brake heat capacity. Stopping distance is more a matter of weight and tire grip. No shortage of clamping power with stock Boxster brakes.

The rears are tougher. If you want Cayenne rotors on the rear and a wide track, what about using the whole Cayenne, rotor/caliper/hub/axle/ assy and cutting to fit your desired track width? You may need that heavier axle assy anyways due to the other "stuff" you've got going on with your car. I am afraid getting all the rear suspension geometry right with such an increase in track width is above my pay grade. Good luck and when you are finished, pics are mandatory

For those who don't remember, Ali is the guy who is doing a cut and stretch on a Boxster, dropping in a monster high displacement motor and then fitting some mystery (Bugatti???) kit car body around it. I am not this projects #1 fan but I appreciate his determination and hey... whatever floats your boat. The results are guaranteed to be interesting to say the least.

Last edited by Topless; 08-20-2010 at 01:10 PM.
Topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 01:28 PM   #6

Now I remember, the "if you have enough welding rod and duct tape, anything is possible" project...............
Old 08-20-2010, 04:21 PM   #7

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluellen
How much power is your engine putting out, to necessitate these changes?
I anticipate about 420 - 450 HP, thanks for all the replies...
Old 08-20-2010, 06:42 PM   #8
Doc

Have you considered 996TT brakes?
Fluellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 04:48 AM   #9

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluellen
Have you considered 996TT brakes?
Not yet but I can research it now, are they direct bolt-ons? Thanks for your input
Old 08-21-2010, 07:29 AM   #10

Garrera GT Kit?

I just stumbled on this thread. I did some looking around on the net. Are you turning you Boxster into a Carrera GT look alike? That would explain putting in a V12....

www.kitanautobodyexperience.com/stretchyourboxster.htm

Last edited by backman_z; 08-21-2010 at 01:16 PM.
backman_z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 01:07 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by backman_z
I just stumbled on this thread. I did some looking around on the net. Are you turning you Boxster into a Carrera GT look alike? That would explain putting in a V12....

The link is incomplete, that is not what I am using even though I am familiar with that kit...
Old 08-21-2010, 01:26 PM   #12

I tried to change the link, but it is not letting me. For the others in the forum who are interested, I'll try again. Let's see if this works this way...

http://www.kitanautobodyexperience.com

then click: Stretch Your Boxster Gallery

If this is not what you are going to do, is it something like this? Can you show us what you are going to do?
backman_z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 03:41 PM   #13

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by backman_z
I tried to change the link, but it is not letting me. For the others in the forum who are interested, I'll try again. Let's see if this works this way...

http://www.kitanautobodyexperience.com

then click: Stretch Your Boxster Gallery

If this is not what you are going to do, is it something like this? Can you show us what you are going to do?
No problem, I will post pics once most basics are covered and the build continues...
Old 08-22-2010, 01:32 PM   #14

About the kit, doesn't the stretch worry you regarding performance after the surgery?
Old 08-22-2010, 03:46 PM   #15

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by eightsandaces
About the kit, doesn't the stretch worry you regarding performance after the surgery?
the OP is using an 89 BMW v12 id dont think hes too concerned with actual functionality. more individuality.
Lobo1186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 02:59 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobo1186
the OP is using an 89 BMW v12 id dont think hes too concerned with actual functionality. more individuality.

I like the front end of the kit and I'm all for individuality but at the end of the day how the car rides, feels and performs is more important to me. Especially if I was dropping big cash.

It's like the Ferrariaro (Ferrari bodied Fiero) kit, I never saw the logic. My GF had a Fiero, total POS. For what it cost to build the Ferrariaro you could buy a used 944 and have a religious conversion.

Last edited by eightsandaces; 08-23-2010 at 03:02 AM.