Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2010, 05:16 AM   #1

new windshield?

I took a rock off a big truck this morning on my usual commute. left me with a nasty spider crack. any problem getting new glass for these cars? I'm just beginning the glass search.

thanks, Pat

2002 boxster

02box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 05:54 AM   #2

They are not cheap...does your insurance cover it. Here in Florida, auto insurance most cover replacement in full.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 06:23 AM   #3

Guys...my windshield on my 03 looks like it has very small air pockets in the glass. The entire surface area has areas distributed throughout the windshield. Just a cosmetic problem not structural. I have never seen this before.... has anyone else experienced this with porsche or other mfg's?
Thanks,
Bob
bonefx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 07:58 AM   #4

Garage
On my way home from buying my Boxster S, I noticed in the overcast lighting, a big crack by the rear view mirror. I bought the Boxster from a Porsche dealer, paid too much, but got it all back in incredible service and a zero deductible year wtty. In Kansas it is the dealer's responsibility to fix cracked windshields before the car is sold. I took it back to them. They put a factory (porsche) one in. The cost to me would have been a little over $800. I don't know if that is in line with other members experience?? This was a few years ago, so today you may have more options....

sean
SeanZ4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 08:24 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02box
I took a rock off a big truck this morning on my usual commute. left me with a nasty spider crack. any problem getting new glass for these cars? I'm just beginning the glass search.

thanks, Pat

2002 boxster
This was me a month ago. I was heartbroken. 1/4 mile behind the next vehicle which was two lanes over. A rock flew from the dumptruck's direction and miraculously finds me.

My insurance offers free windshield repair service, the replacement service would get into the deductible. I went with the free option to see how it would look. They did a great job, it looks like a small pinpoint water mark on the windshield. Still bugs me, but considering the crack and the result, I'm very happy with the service. The repair service offered a replacement for $350 if I was ever unhappy with the repair for any reason, no questions asked.

Oh just be sure to keep the glass cool before getting it repaired. I had to garage mine overnight and get it done in the morning. The tools they use put a lot of stress on glass and the hot glass is more proned to break.
Old 08-04-2010, 11:21 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonefx
Guys...my windshield on my 03 looks like it has very small air pockets in the glass. The entire surface area has areas distributed throughout the windshield. Just a cosmetic problem not structural. I have never seen this before.... has anyone else experienced this with porsche or other mfg's?
Thanks,
Bob
Safety glass is two pieces glass laminated together with a mylar film between the two. Sounds like a manufacturing issue. My 2000 S is in fine shape with no visuable problems.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 02:16 PM   #7

just had mine replaced for my $100 deductible plus reissuing the inspection stickers.

dallison is offline   Reply With Quote