Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2010, 10:35 AM   #1

2001 Boxster S Grinding sound

I'm having an issue with rear end grinding noise coming from the driver's side rear driver side wheel. It's a very low pitched grinding sound when your coasting at 20-30 mph. When I drove by a large concrete wall it reverberated quite loudly. You can hear it better driving with hte door open. I also had a friend open the passenger side door when I was drivign and the sound is not there.

background: I just bought this 2001 Boxster S with 56k on it. Brand new brakes, just had all the boots done last week including the driver side wheel bearing.

I brought it back to the indy who did it (they specialize in porsche racing) and he said he never heard the sound on a boxster before, he did test drive it. He wants me to bring it back in so he can tear it down. After 1700 for the boots, 4 wheel alignment, wheel bearing, brake flush, and 60k maintenance i'm afraid he is going to come back with something new. Maybe he messed the job up by accident and wants a chance to fix it and charge me?

Does the IMS/RMS problems affect the Boxster S's?

Last edited by 2001boxsters; 07-08-2010 at 12:30 PM.
2001boxsters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 12:35 PM   #2
kpm

If he replaced the boots he may have overlooked the CV bearings themselves. It could explain why you have noise on one side and not the other.
kpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 04:33 PM   #3

CV joints usually make a clicking sound when they begin to fail, so I think it is more likely - given your description - a wheel bearing. Could also be a piece of gravel stuck between the brake rotate and heat shield. You should jack up the rear end (both wheels in the air) and attempt to localize the sound by hand turning the wheels. Good luck.
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 04:32 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2001boxsters
I'm having an issue with rear end grinding noise coming from the driver's side rear driver side wheel. It's a very low pitched grinding sound when your coasting at 20-30 mph. When I drove by a large concrete wall it reverberated quite loudly. You can hear it better driving with hte door open. I also had a friend open the passenger side door when I was drivign and the sound is not there.

background: I just bought this 2001 Boxster S with 56k on it. Brand new brakes, just had all the boots done last week including the driver side wheel bearing.

I brought it back to the indy who did it (they specialize in porsche racing) and he said he never heard the sound on a boxster before, he did test drive it. He wants me to bring it back in so he can tear it down. After 1700 for the boots, 4 wheel alignment, wheel bearing, brake flush, and 60k maintenance i'm afraid he is going to come back with something new. Maybe he messed the job up by accident and wants a chance to fix it and charge me?

Does the IMS/RMS problems affect the Boxster S's?

If you just had it fixed and had very low miles on the repair...say 50...I would bet he created the problem. Tell him how you feel about the issue...he wants your business and should address your concerns. It was not there before they did the repair, so, what can you do to make me happy.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 06:58 AM   #5

Do they seem credible or shady? If they have a good reputation it may not cost you anything. Alot of good companies value their reputation.
Ken
SoCalKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 05:36 PM   #6

Garage
I'm from Massachusetts also. Who's the "indy" mechanic ? I know most of them . If you want the "low down" send me a pm or simply post it. Either way I'll give you the skinny.

Last edited by Johnny Danger; 07-12-2010 at 05:39 PM.
Johnny Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 06:17 PM   #7

-- or it could be a worn axle. it's not that unusual and it might sound like that.
Old 07-14-2010, 08:01 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danger
I'm from Massachusetts also. Who's the "indy" mechanic ? I know most of them . If you want the "low down" send me a pm or simply post it. Either way I'll give you the skinny.
"Porsche Exclusive" Auto Sport Engineering in Stow MA

I think if the axle was bad they would have wanted me to fork over the cash to pay for a new one when they were doing the CV boots.

Update: There was grease coming out of where the boot where it slides into the knuckle. The owner tried saying it wasn't from the boot it was from the knuckle and the knuckle has grease and it is going bad...Last time I checked there wasn't any grease that should be inside of a knuckle?
Old 07-14-2010, 08:16 AM   #9

Garage
[QUOTE=2001boxsters]"Porsche Exclusive" Auto Sport Engineering in Stow MA

Not a place that I would have recommended.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:22 AM   #10

Why is that Jonny?
Old 07-14-2010, 11:06 AM   #11

UPDATE: I went back and I guess the sound was a brake line rubbing against my rim! The sound came after the job so I know he didn't put the zip tie back on when he put everything back together. There was a leak of grease right next to the boot where the CV axle slides into the wheel bearing. He is trying to tell me the grease that leaked all over the inside of my rim wasn't from the CV boot he just did it was from the "Wheel bearing" or knuckle....

I can't think of any reason for there to be grease inside of the knuckle...
Old 07-14-2010, 12:08 PM   #12

the noise is the exact same thing that happened to me last month..

Help Please - Brakes or IMS?

Porsche actually makes a clip that holds the line away from the wheel...
part # 999.651.230.02

http://www.ppbb.com/phorum/read.php?6,1454979

$2.85 at the stealership