Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2010, 03:40 PM   #1

Cool Carbon performance brake pads

So, I am usually going to around 8 track days every year.
And as I tend yo be a very lazy person I prefer to reduce the number of steps I have to do to get the car ready for the track.
I used to have dedicated track pads (Pagid Orange) but as I had worn them up and needed new ones. And wouldn't it be great if there were pads which you could use in daily driving and on the track?
So why does this usually not work?
* Normal street pads usually are not good for the track as they tend to overheat and then they not only loose friction (and smell horrible) but due to the excessive heat they also boil the brake fluid.
* Race/track pads are not good for the street as they don't work too well if they're not up to temperature (and in normal commute driving there is no way to get them up to temperature) and they also have the tendency to make an earsplitting squeal.

So is there a pad which is good for the street and the track? Well, there was: The BHP XPS pad worked great on the track and also on the street for daily driving. Unfortunately the company which made the pad went out of business...

But it seems that there is now an alternative in form of the "Cool Carbon" brake pads. I put them in two weeks ago and first drove them on the street for one week (worked great and no squeal) and last Monday I had one track-day in Laguna-Seca and one Friday one track-day in Thunderhill (yes, it WAS a very good week
And based on the experience from these two days I can conform that these pads perform also very well on the track:
Good initial bite which does not fade at high temperatures, good to modulate.
The wear is about the same as the Pagid Oranges, but they cost less than the Pagids.

Conclusion: I am very happy with these pads.

Cheers & happy weekend everyone

And by the way: Please cheer for my home team (Germany) in the quarter-final game against England tomorrow

2015 FIAT 500e "Nikki" my commuter car
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 11:15 PM   #2

Very cool! Please tell us more about the pads.. Where are these pads sold? Which model did you use?

Some stuff for sale: M030 S 24mm front sway bar, M030 base 19.6mm rear sway bar, 996 GT3 OEM Porsche Motorsport front strut mounts monoball "camber plates"

WTB: looking for some 5-7mm spacers with extended bolts
chaudanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 05:27 AM   #3
Porscheectomy

How is the dust? Is there much of it and what color? How hard is it to wash off? How is the wear on the rotors? What do they feel like? Grabby like a street pad or does it take some pressure like a track pad?
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 09:38 AM   #4

The pads sell at Pelican Parts:
http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/shopcart/986M/POR_986M_BRKpad_pg2.htm#item5

About part numbers: for the rears there's only one type
For the fronts I bough the ones which are currently on sale, model # CC-7643-D776

I will report about the dust the produce when I've driven them enough to make a sound report it

Oh btw: Thanks for crossing fingers for my team: We crushed England 4:1
Old 07-13-2010, 08:08 PM   #5

UPDATE:

So I had another track day today with these pads and my initial excitement has worn out:
I had started with about 7~8 mm remaining on the pads in the morning and by mid-afternoon I was down to less than 1 mm
These pads wear at least twice as fast as Pagids. Also it seems that as soon as you're down to 50% the pads have lost their initial bite.
I noticed that when I switched to Pagids with about 5 mm left (after the Cool Carbon were worn out) that the Pagids have much more bite with 5 mm than the Cool Carbon had with 7 mm

However on the brake dust front I can report that they're very low on brake dust and that the dust is grayish
Old 07-14-2010, 05:44 AM   #6
Pat

Chris~
Thanks for the update. I had the same questions as blue200s. I'm not surprised to hear this updated, but am sorry to hear you were let down. Unfortunately it looks like there's just no free lunch in this situation.