View Single Post
Old 06-26-2010, 03:40 PM   #1
ChrisZang

Cool Carbon performance brake pads

So, I am usually going to around 8 track days every year.
And as I tend yo be a very lazy person I prefer to reduce the number of steps I have to do to get the car ready for the track.
I used to have dedicated track pads (Pagid Orange) but as I had worn them up and needed new ones. And wouldn't it be great if there were pads which you could use in daily driving and on the track?
So why does this usually not work?
* Normal street pads usually are not good for the track as they tend to overheat and then they not only loose friction (and smell horrible) but due to the excessive heat they also boil the brake fluid.
* Race/track pads are not good for the street as they don't work too well if they're not up to temperature (and in normal commute driving there is no way to get them up to temperature) and they also have the tendency to make an earsplitting squeal.

So is there a pad which is good for the street and the track? Well, there was: The BHP XPS pad worked great on the track and also on the street for daily driving. Unfortunately the company which made the pad went out of business...

But it seems that there is now an alternative in form of the "Cool Carbon" brake pads. I put them in two weeks ago and first drove them on the street for one week (worked great and no squeal) and last Monday I had one track-day in Laguna-Seca and one Friday one track-day in Thunderhill (yes, it WAS a very good week
And based on the experience from these two days I can conform that these pads perform also very well on the track:
Good initial bite which does not fade at high temperatures, good to modulate.
The wear is about the same as the Pagid Oranges, but they cost less than the Pagids.

Conclusion: I am very happy with these pads.

Cheers & happy weekend everyone

And by the way: Please cheer for my home team (Germany) in the quarter-final game against England tomorrow
2015 FIAT 500e "Nikki" my commuter car
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote