Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2010, 01:27 PM   #1

What are the symptoms of a bad flywheel?

Now that my wheels have been road force balanced the vibrations at 3200 RPM are really noticeable now. Is this a sure sign of a bad flywheel? The clutch is only a couple years old and grips nicely. I can feel the vibrations with or without the clutch engaged too. It is also more noticeable under deceleration.

Thanks
Chris

Old 07-07-2010, 02:48 PM   #2

Your car stops flying?

I'm not sure if this is a continuation of a prior thread, apologies if already discussed - but 3000rpm is where I (and some other members here) get very noticeable vibration from Pedro's "enthusiast" engine mount. I've also read that other people with failing mounts get more vibration if they go metal-metal.

And I do notice the vibration more during deceleration, especially if the engine stumbles a bit.

-james

'01 Boxster S, 51k miles
'05 Mazda 6 Grand Touring Wagon
yimmy149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 03:03 PM   #3

The front motor mount is good but yea I do know what you mean. I have a stock mount now but tried the Pedro one and had a lot of vibration.
Chris
Old 07-07-2010, 03:05 PM   #4

i have the same vibration, same symptoms (3200 rpm, clutch in/out, accel/decel). some say engine mounts, some say flywheel, some say exhaust. other shops have advised that it is just resonance and can't be fixed. do a search here - there is one guy who changed both flywheel and engine mounts and the vibration remained. i've got a sneaky feeling that it is exhaust related, as it appears to happen at the same rpm that guys with loud mufflers tend to get resonance.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 03:13 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radium King
i have the same vibration, same symptoms (3200 rpm, clutch in/out, accel/decel). some say engine mounts, some say flywheel, some say exhaust. other shops have advised that it is just resonance and can't be fixed. do a search here - there is one guy who changed both flywheel and engine mounts and the vibration remained. i've got a sneaky feeling that it is exhaust related, as it appears to happen at the same rpm that guys with loud mufflers tend to get resonance.

If it's exhaust related wouldn't there be far more instances reported?
eightsandaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 04:52 PM   #6

The loud muffler stuff is usually around 2500 rpm. I'm curious is a bad DMFW would have other issues or noises? It didn't used to do this.
Chris
Old 07-08-2010, 05:19 AM   #7

Transmission mounts?

What about the transmission mounts? Would I be getting similar symptoms if these are shot? As an example beyond the vibration I also get a little jerk in the shifter in certain gears from the engine torque. This is why at first I thought it was front mount again but it was good.

Chris