Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2011, 10:58 AM   #1

Looking for help in choosing the right Boxster

Hi!

I've been looking for a porsche 993 but am now considering a boxster instead.

I'm going to see a 2004 anniversary edition next week. Admittedly, I love the cocoa brown interior, and appreciate that the anniversary edition helps it stand out and may possible help it retain value.

Would it be wiser, however to go with a 987? And how much truth is there to the rumors of engine failure on the 986s?

Thank you!
Christine

barkerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 12:16 PM   #2

Garage
Before you go shopping, decide how much you are willing to spend. Then do yourself a favor and don't drive anything above that limit Also think hard about what kind of options/colors you would like and focus on those cars. There are plenty on the market, so you can afford to be picky.

There are so many used 986/987 out there, that trying to find one that will hold it's value is not too likely. They will all depreciate, even the special editions.

And spend some time reading the info at:
http://sites.google.com/site/mikefocke2/mikesporscheboxsterwebpages
Old 07-14-2011, 12:37 PM   #3
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
+1 on VitaminC. I didn't spend enough time researching but got lucky and got a great car. If I were buying again, I'd probably buy from another member and pay extra for it...though it is strange most members ask less hoping for their car to get a good home. In the end no matter where you buy like all the guys say...get a PPI. Regarding the engine failures...spend a few nights searching and reading and come to your own conclusions...only you can decide what is best.
Goot luck with your search! I know along with my Red 2000 'S' I would also like a Red 2009 'S' in my garage .
WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 01:04 PM   #4
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
First off, good luck in your search, and whatever decision you make I'm sure you'll be satisfied.

My 2 cents on the matter: Heed the advice you've already received on here, and as far as engine failures go, doing your homework and reading what's on LN Engineering and Jake Raby's Flat 6 Innovations websites will be great education for you. Mikefocke and RandallNeighbour also have excellent sites with plenty of pre-purchase advice and wisdom (Randall's site is www.iwantaporsche.net, something I wish I'd found prior to my purchase, make sure you read it). Anything mechanical is capable of failing, we all know this, but it helps immensely when you know where the trouble spots are, and plenty of people have gone out of their way to provide that info to us all. So long as you know what to look for, what to expect, and take the necessary steps (particularly preventative maintenance) to alleviate or eliminate these trouble spots, you can drive your car without worry.

Whatever you do, don't baby the car when you get it, and don't go around driving it in fear of a failure at any moment. It's honestly worse for the car to baby it and run the engine at low RPMS than better. Keep the RPMs under 4,000 til the car's warmed up, and keep them anywhere over 3,000 after that while you're driving and cruising.

To go along with what was mentioned before about deciding how much you're willing to spend, also ensure that you're able to budget a few thousand dollars a year for any possible repairs. It won't come as such a heavy blow to you when something does need fixing if you do this.

1997 Arctic Silver Boxster, 5-spd
IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 09:08 AM   #5
Certified Boxster Addict

My advice:
  • Do as much research as you can. Know what you're getting into. You'll have to make your own decision about the risk of an engine failure.
  • Have a Pre-Purchase Inspection done by a qualified mechanic or a dealer. A car might run great but have $1,500 of needed maintanence. Again, know what you're getting into.
  • Decide on a budget for the purchase and stick to it
  • Decide if you want a daily driver and won't freak if you get a paint chip or if you're lookging for a weekend garage queen, or something in between. Consider autocross or track days if you might be inclined. Just know what you want.
  • Newer is usually better (987 vs 986) but be sure and drive both so you can decide for yourself
  • Don't be in a hurry. Tons of Boxsters for sale and they aren't going up in price. There is no need to overpay because you can probably find 3 cheaper cars exactly like whatever you're looking at.
  • IMS replacement is a nice to have but there are still 20 other ways the engine can fail. Don't overpay for this (or any other) upgrade.
  • Keep $2,000 in reserve for unplanned repairs (clutch, brakes, tires, MAF, O2 sensors, etc)
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 07-15-2011 at 09:31 AM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 10:01 AM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by barkerc
Hi!

I've been looking for a porsche 993 but am now considering a boxster instead.

I'm going to see a 2004 anniversary edition next week. Admittedly, I love the cocoa brown interior, and appreciate that the anniversary edition helps it stand out and may possible help it retain value.

Would it be wiser, however to go with a 987? And how much truth is there to the rumors of engine failure on the 986s?

Thank you!
Christine
I say drive both & deceide which you want as they are very different, not the least of which is 993 resale value is at all-time high & Boxster's are at all-time low. Engine failures in Boxsters is not a rumor nor is it limited to 986's, it seems to inflict about 10% of 97-07 models about the same as 993's with premature valve guide failure. So a PPI is mandatory for any of these cars. If you are going for looks & don't care about power go for a perfect 1999 Boxster with lots of service records.
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 12:58 PM   #7

For peace of mind check out your local (or not so local) CPO inventory at a Porsche dealership. I had the same reservations regarding engine failure and in the end buying a CPO car put my mind to rest. Keep in mind that a finding a 986 that is certified will be pertty hard if not impossible. I looked at and drove a lot of cars (both 98/ and 987). To me, the cars drive pretty much the same, I just liked the interior and headlights in the 987 more than the 986. That being said I had to expect to pay a little more for a newer car. Bottom line... Not to many cars can put a smile on your face every time you fire it up.
curtc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 08:01 AM   #8

I recently went through what you are asking about. I looked at everything in the price range I was willing to pay. I checked out every dealer that had a used 986. I wasn't worried about the color and, in fact, ended up with what would have been my least favorite color - Seal Gray Metallic (I love it). Check out the maintenance log. Mine was completely and meticulously kept up to date by the previous owner - and authenticated (stamped) by the dealers that did the work. I would add, from my perspective, that I would stay away from anything that's been modified unless you're looking for a modified "track" car exclusively. Stay stock and properly maintained and you'll be fine. DO NOT think "I'll get it and fix this, and that" because parts (even trim and accessories) are extremely expensive. I would stay with a car that is complete, maintained and in great shape. Happy motoring.