Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2005, 02:18 PM   #1

Another Problem...

Today I pulled my car out the garage at about 10 am. Then I try to put it back at 3 pm the same day, the electronics and windows worked but the engine would not start. There was not a sound, not even that clicking noise. So I had it towed, cant wait to find out what the problem is. The guy thought it maybe the battery, but the car has 3,300 miles. I'll keep posting on it.

Old 04-18-2005, 02:48 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to YellowJacket
Battery life is actually not correlated with mileage. It's correlated with age. In fact, it's inversely correlated with mileage to some extent -- a car that is never driven will have a dead battery faster time-wise than one that's driven every day.

So that's very possible. And I hope that's all it is!
YellowJacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 04:44 PM   #3

If it is a factory Porsche battery, they are notorious for going bad if the car is not driven frequently. In fact, Porsche will NOT replace on under warranty unless the car is driven at least 12K miles per year.

Go figure.

Costco has a new battery for $47.00.

Works like a charm.

PS-if the battery is stone dead, you will get nothing at all when you try the car.
Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 04:47 PM   #4

Thats what the guy told me. But since I have only had the car for 10 months they cannot deny me of a free battery. But I have got to get driving!
Old 04-25-2005, 02:42 PM   #5

The problem was with the key, I used my second key to start the car and drive it away. Rockville Porsche never even looked at my car, it sat there for a week! There is some sort of transponder inside it that does not work.

I took it to another dealership (HBL) the people were very nice and informative. It turns out when they took the key apart someone at Rockville broke one of the clips inside the key that holds the two sides together. Then to fix it they used some sort of superglue! I cant get in touch with the Service Manager, but I will.
Old 04-26-2005, 10:33 AM   #6

Send a message via AIM to Shortbus Send a message via MSN to Shortbus Send a message via Yahoo to Shortbus
I will not take my car anywhere else but HBL. They are kind of pricey but the service is always top notch. Glad it was only a key problem
Shortbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 11:26 AM   #7

Key problems ain't cheap either. Hope they replace it for free. New key heads are $200 plus programming. Please don't ask me how I know this.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 11:56 AM   #8

OMG that sounds like a nightmare of inattentive and incompetent service managers. Your car just sat there and it was your key?

That's the sort of thing I'm notorious for making a scene over.
People should value your time.

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote