Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2010, 05:26 PM   #1

Mr. Dodge Magnum

There is a very good ale house near me that I like to take the Porsche to after work Friday. One of the staff has a son who hangs out there with a dodge magnum. He's twenty something so he always wants to race. Tonight when he asked, I gave him the 986 forum company line, " racing in the streets is dangerous, never know when people might die and you do the long sit in the iron house and for what"?

I said, " I'll concede the stoplight race to you straight up, no need for a test". Then he says, "That's not a racing Porsche, how fast can you comfortably drive at speed".

I just wanted to laugh, I felt like saying, "buddy, my old 944 would dust that POS in a corner, it's a ****************ing station wagon, how you living"????

But because I'm old, I just said, "you might want to educate yourself about Porsches, you're a computer kid, check the Dodge racing win record against Porsche and get back to me next week"..

Last edited by eightsandaces; 05-21-2010 at 05:29 PM.
eightsandaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 05:21 AM   #2

That's hysterical!!! I wish I could've seen he face...

Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 06:18 AM   #3

It's not just a station wagon, it's a Dodge station wagon. It's amazing what people will buy if you black out the back windows and name it after an extra-large condom/bullet/insert favorite phallic reference here.

WTF were people who drive those things thinking? "Wow, that's one gangsta hearse, I gotta have it?"

(For the record, I don't think Dodge's market segment knows that a magnum is a 1.5 liter wine bottle, though Busch would probably sell more Natural Light Ice if they offered it in a magnum...)
Old 05-22-2010, 06:36 AM   #4

i get a laugh when the owners look you straight in your face and say "ya know it has a hemi in it"
extanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 07:31 AM   #5

I had to run into the auto parts store yesterday to pick up some car soap, and the counter kid says to me as I'm walking out "Yo maaan, nice Porsche (of course, pronounced in one syllable), you do burnouts in that thing?" I just gave him that "you've got to be kidding me look" and said "umm no, I like a few things on my car, like the clutch, halfshafts, gearbox and I'm not real fond of buying rear tires any more often than I have to." He says back "oh ok maaan.... yea.... that's cool" as I walked out.
Old 05-22-2010, 07:32 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd_boxster
It's not just a station wagon, it's a Dodge station wagon. It's amazing what people will buy if you black out the back windows and name it after an extra-large condom/bullet/insert favorite phallic reference here.

WTF were people who drive those things thinking? "Wow, that's one gangsta hearse, I gotta have it?"

(For the record, I don't think Dodge's market segment knows that a magnum is a 1.5 liter wine bottle, though Busch would probably sell more Natural Light Ice if they offered it in a magnum...)
Nicely said
Old 05-22-2010, 01:25 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by extanker
i get a laugh when the owners look you straight in your face and say "ya know it has a hemi in it"
Oh do tell, educate me for the next inevitable exchange, is that false? He proclaims it loudly.

I was telling my buddy I'm going to burn this and leave it on his windshield..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukunx21UHCA
eightsandaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 01:53 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightsandaces
Oh do tell, educate me for the next inevitable exchange, is that false? He proclaims it loudly.

I was telling my buddy I'm going to burn this and leave it on his windshield..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukunx21UHCA
on the other side of the coin a 10 year old corvette will shame a new cs
extanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 03:52 AM   #9

Garage
Kotto,

Methinks you are a spambot.

Back to the thead,

I tell people that when they start to turn left and right, then I will race them. No one has ever come back to me to say they are ready now...
Old 04-28-2012, 05:06 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightsandaces View Post
I just wanted to laugh, I felt like saying, "buddy, my old 944 would dust that POS in a corner, it's a ****************ing station wagon, how you living"????

I have a Hemi Charger for my own company car, and and a Hemi Magnum that we use as a pass around company car for business trips. These are the same vehicle designs below the skin.

Let me tell you, these cars are very fast and capable, even in cornering situations despite there very high weight. These cars were designed during the Mercedes ownership phase of Chrysler, and the suspension design is straight off a Mercedes.

I hate to admit it, but the suspension geometry design used in the Magnum / Charger is much more sophisticated than the McPherson /Chapman strut design used in the 986.

On a somewhat tight road course, there is no doubt that a capable driver would be faster in a 986S due entirely to the vehicle weight, but it would be much closer than you think.

You should really think twice before laughing at these cars...

986S
991S
Van Diemen RF97

Last edited by LAP1DOUG; 04-28-2012 at 05:09 AM.
LAP1DOUG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 06:03 AM   #11

I think that the magnum looks weird but i have never diven one so I wont hate, but the charger on the other hand is very nice. It drives very good and has an awesome pull. I felt like it was an suv but with the ability to not flip over. Comparable to how it felt to drive a cayenne. Not in luxury but the driving experience. Defiantly different. Then again I that would not be my first choice for a car but i have respect for it.

Very intimidated by the new cop chargers. They make me feel like I should pull over and even though I didn't do anything wrong. "Officer I am so sorry I was thinking about having a spirited drive today." Would not like to get chased by one.
Got it from:2012 Dodge Charger Pursuit Sets New Speed Record as Police Vehicle
Bmod986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 07:54 AM   #12
recycledsixtie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by eightsandaces View Post
There is a very good ale house near me that I like to take the Porsche to after work Friday. One of the staff has a son who hangs out there with a dodge magnum. He's twenty something so he always wants to race. Tonight when he asked, I gave him the 986 forum company line, " racing in the streets is dangerous, never know when people might die and you do the long sit in the iron house and for what"?

I said, " I'll concede the stoplight race to you straight up, no need for a test". Then he says, "That's not a racing Porsche, how fast can you comfortably drive at speed".

But because I'm old, I just said, "you might want to educate yourself about Porsches, you're a computer kid, check the Dodge racing win record against Porsche and get back to me next week"..
Reminds me about 10 years ago a Corvette in our city in the downtown did a hi power start at a green lite. Something broke and the car went sideways and killed a pedestrian on the sidewalk. Steet racing can be deadly. Keep your antics on the track - certainly not in the city. Sage advice above.
recycledsixtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 11:43 AM   #13

"As an all-around performer, the 2006 Dodge Charger SRT8 is capable of awe-inspiring numbers unheard-of in a muscle sedan: 0-60 mph in around 5 seconds, quarter-mile time in the 13-second range"

So an all-out American muscle car with an 6.1 liter hemi engine goes just as fast - but no faster - than my 2006 987S (for sissy, I guess) with a 3.2 liter engine - half the size.

Boxters can be fast.

Rapid motion through space elates one; so does notoriety; so does the possession of money.
pierre shags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 01:11 PM   #14
Track rat

Garage
The Magnum with a hemi is surprisingly capable for a land yacht. We used to have a paraplegic guy come out to Willow Springs with one, mount a set of fatty Hoosiers by himself, and put down some very respectable laps. I don't recall specific lap times but he was not far behind a pair of Base Boxsters who were moving pretty well.

When some pimply-faced kid feels the need to challenge my ride, (usually it is a Honda or Nissan with way too much $$ invested in his muffler and rear wing) I just calmly suggest they go out to a real race track (Willow Springs, Watkins Glen, Fontana Roval) on an open track day, post their best lap time and get back to me. We'll compare notes.
Old 04-28-2012, 01:36 PM   #15
l3m

I worked for Chrysler for 17 years and had a Magnum R/T, Charger R/T, Durango Hemi, Grand Cherokee Hemi, and a Challenger SRT-8 on different occasions. Those Hemi engines are very powerful but the cars weighed 4200 lbs. Great for the drag strip and not on the track. The best 0-60 time I did on the Charger was 5.3 seconds.

Here's the pic I took just before I left Chrysler. That was in Dec. 2008 just before Fiat bought it. That's the Chrysler headquarters tower in the background.

Old 04-28-2012, 03:21 PM   #16
Custom User Title Here

Garage
It's a Dodge.

You can polish a turd, too.

No offense, just havin some fun. My daily driver is a dodge...but I would never compare it to a Porsche.

Last edited by particlewave; 04-28-2012 at 03:25 PM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 03:51 PM   #17
l3m

Probably the closest DaimlerChrysler car I can compare to a Boxster was a Crossfire SRT-6. It had a Mercedes supercharged V-6 engine that had 330hp and 310 lb-ft torque. I was able to drive one and it was a blast.
Old 04-29-2012, 05:00 AM   #18

Garage
This post reminds me of this magnum commercial

Dodge Magnum Commercial - YouTube

grtc68 is offline   Reply With Quote