Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2009, 03:57 PM   #1

Horn beeps twice when unlocking

Hi folks.

I recently bought a 1999 Boxster without an alarm or keyless entry but with central locking. I have observed a strange behaviour when I unlock my car using the key:
-If I turn the key left, both doors open fine.
-If I turn the key right then left, then both doors open fine but the car beeps twice.

I wonder if the car is confused about not having an alarm, or could something else be causing this? The manual says that two beeps may be due to a fault when locking the car, not unlocking.

By the way, locking my car produces no beeps.

vkostakos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 04:12 PM   #2
bmussatti

Strange. Do you have an OEM radio or aftermarket?
Old 02-24-2009, 04:23 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
Strange. Do you have an OEM radio or aftermarket?
OEM radio / cassette player.
vkostakos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 06:13 PM   #4
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkostakos
Hi folks.

I recently bought a 1999 Boxster without an alarm or keyless entry but with central locking. I have observed a strange behaviour when I unlock my car using the key:
-If I turn the key left, both doors open fine.
-If I turn the key right then left, then both doors open fine but the car beeps twice.

I wonder if the car is confused about not having an alarm, or could something else be causing this? The manual says that two beeps may be due to a fault when locking the car, not unlocking.

By the way, locking my car produces no beeps.
I thought all Boxsters had keyless entry, anyone know for sure?
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 07:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
I thought all Boxsters had keyless entry, anyone know for sure?
I think the cars imported to the U.S. have keyless entry. He's in Portugal so his may be equipped differently

I noticed that U.S. Boxsters also seem to have auto climate control and leather seats, but I saw a picture of one (from the UK) with manual climate controls and cloth seats.

For a while, my car would beep when I locked it. I found that the hinge on the center console lid (Porsche calls it the oddments tray) was starting to break and it wasn't closing properly. Vkostakos may want to check if he has a similar problem.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console

Last edited by KevinH1990; 02-24-2009 at 07:57 PM.
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 07:07 AM   #6
fab

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH1990
I
For a while, my car would beep when I locked it. I found that the hinge on the center console lid (Porsche calls it the oddments tray) was starting to break and it wasn't closing properly. Vkostakos may want to check if he has a similar problem.
Diddo...has happen to me when I did not close the center console completely
painted bumperettes
autoband paint protection
wheel caps & colored crests
door sills
Valentine One
fab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 08:59 AM   #7
FTD

The horn is telling you to stop doing that right left thing and just unlock it properly.
FTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 09:01 AM   #8
FTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by fab
Diddo...has happen to me when I did not close the center console completely
That is about locking the car. His situation is about unlocking the car. If your horn beeps when you lock the car, it means something in the 'security areas' isn't secure, ie: the lid on your oddments tray. I read a posting here that explained it is telling you the motion detector will not be activated due to the insecure area issue.
FTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 11:55 AM   #9

Unhappy Possible central locking/Sensor issue.

Hi,

I have a 2001 model 2.7 Boxster. In the last few days the central locking seems to activate itself while I'm driving, when I try to switch it off, it comes straight back on and the car beeps twice . Also, when I switch the car off and open the door, the window on the drivers side does not lower. The strange thing is, when I activate the roof down lever (Apologies for not knowing the technical name), both windows lower. They also both raise when I put the roof back up.. The speed dial and mileage lights are also staying on, even when the key is out of the ignition.
I believe that this points to a sensor issue as I read in the manual and other threads on here that when the horn sounds twice, it means there is a security issue. Before I take it in to the garage I wanted to know if there was anything I can do myself.

Thanks in advance
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 12:34 PM   #10

from the manual:

"A double horn sound during locking indicates a defect in the central locking or alarm system. Have the defect remedied at an authorized Porsche stealership."

There are 4 types of central locking, programmable by your local stealership:

Type 1: Doors lock automatically when the ignition is switched on.
Type 2: Doors lock automatically when a speed of 3-6mph is exceeded.
Type 3: Doors lock automatically when the ignition is switched on. If doors are opened with the engine running, they lock again automatically when a speed of 3-6mph is exceeded.
Type 4: The doors do not lock automatically.
tonycarreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 03:01 PM   #11

Have you removed your radio for any reason or have you done any work with your central dash area? I know you said you had the original radio, but after installing my new jvc, my car now beeps when i lock it(not unlock it). The sensor in your radio(or even arm rest) may be defective or may have been dislodged.

SO, GROW A PAIR NANCY AND DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!!
http://i826.photobucket.com/albums/z...Main/MyBox.jpg
mptoledo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 07:01 PM   #12

The car in question is a UK model and their alrm systems are different than US market ones with motion sensors and alarm sirens w/ backup battery.

It may be that the battery backup has failed.

I'm also suspecting a bad ignition switch - no end to the gremlins that this issue can cause.

1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 06:44 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil bastard View Post
The car in question is a UK model and their alrm systems are different than US market ones with motion sensors and alarm sirens w/ backup battery.

It may be that the battery backup has failed.

I'm also suspecting a bad ignition switch - no end to the gremlins that this issue can cause.

On a UK model, if you unlock the car using the key in the lock barrel, only the driver's door unlocks (the front & rear trunk releases, fuel flap & passenger door remain locked but these can be unlocked using the button on the dash) also the horn beeps twice, and the alarm will sound if you don't turn the ignition on quickly enough, but the car will fully lock using the key. The car will only fully unlock by using the fob.

stonedagain is offline   Reply With Quote