Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2005, 12:27 PM   #1
jwc

Another Newb...

Hi,

I test drove the new '05 911 and Boxster on Saturday and am picking up a new S (Seal Grey) tomorrow (I did like it better than the 911). Just thought I would say hi. It will join my Viper GTS - talk about two completely different cars!

I was thoroughly impressed with the Boxster, it has to be one of the funnest cars I have ever driven.

Jim

jwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 12:32 PM   #2

Awesome, great choice! Hopefully you can post a picture of both of your babies when you pick it up. Welcome to the forum!
But what is so important about driving faster than anyone else?
Lots of people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well.
When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.
Porschekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 12:33 PM   #3

Welcome to the Porsche family and to our forum.

Best of luck!
Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 02:10 PM   #4

It's good to see another boxster owner. Congrats on your purchase. Another individual on here had a viper recently and switched to the boxster. You are a lucky individual to have two great cars in your collection. I would never fathom viper owners would be interested in a boxster but I guess I am wrong again. Could you perhaps give us some subjective comparisons? I've never driven a viper.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 02:38 PM   #5
jwc

Comparison with a Viper...

I'm sure the experience is different for everyone, but here is my take. The Viper is a monster. You hit the gas and all hell breaks loose. Be very careful with the throttle in a corner or you WILL lose it. It has amazing grip "right up until it kills you" (rough quote from Top Gear but very appropriate). The torque is amazing, you always win impromptu "roll-ons". I would liken it to a roller-coaster ride; it is fun, but you always come away shaky. The attention it draws is just crazy. The rear tires are often sliding or smoking. Basically it is a cartoon car with cartoon effect. Insane.

I have much more limited experience in the Boxster - It seems a lot more refined, smoother, funner going the speed limit. It seems to draw less attention. All the controls are much lighter. The interior is more refined and friendly. Way easier to jump in and out of. I can actually relax in a Boxster. I won't ever have to pop the hood to show the engine. Sane.

I guess I would summarize thus: if I want to go out and have an outrageous over the top testosterone laced driving experience I would drive the Viper; if I want to have a sublime tactile 'sheer joy of driving' experience I would drive the Boxster.
jwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 03:58 PM   #6

Thankyou for the feedback. I always wondered about the Viper and what it would feel like. Your description was pretty much how I imagined it. I maybe could've gotten a slighty used Viper instead of my current sled but I'm young and was even younger when I got my car at 23 so I try to think I made the more responsible decision. I have a feeling I wouldv'e wrapped a Viper around a tree by now trying to impress someone.....or at least had my license taken away for awhile.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 04:15 PM   #7

Talking

I drove a base Box today at the auction. Sweet car, I had forgotten how sweet (been dealing in 911s of late).

Good stuff!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote