Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2010, 12:52 AM   #1

Taking out first timers?

Curious what everyone does when they take a Porsche first timer
out for a ride? Anyone have a routine or things they do that make the
experience? Think this will be interesting.

ElementAI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 04:27 AM   #2

Highway on/off ramps are always fun. Drive under a bridge or through a tunnel to hear the ampified music is cool too.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 04:50 AM   #3

Garage
I usually drive as conservatively and smooth as possible. Like it was a honda accord. Make comments about what a fun car it is. Keep revs low and acceleration to "other" car standards. Take a few curves without speeding up or slowing down, just turn the wheel. Get the passenger comfortable almost bored.

On the return trip maintain driving style until you find the perfect lonely staight, turn the corner and then accellerate through first normally, get a bit more of second, kick third in the ass, hold fourth , hit fifth and then shift to sixth, there are a few high speed curves there I take at 85-90 after those I coast back down to the speed limit.

Drive like you are in Honda back to starting point.

It lets them get an idea of what is possible without being scared ****************less by the maniac driver. Nobody likes that feeling. Keep the thrill to a contained time space and if they don't like porsche after that they never will.
Old 04-27-2010, 08:45 AM   #4

I always let them drive. That's all it takes.
Old 04-27-2010, 08:48 AM   #5

usually taking a 30mph curve at 90 gets the blood flowing.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 09:24 AM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by insite
usually taking a 30mph curve at 90 gets the blood flowing.
+1 ! On a track obviously...........

Last edited by Christian H; 04-27-2010 at 10:21 AM.
Christian H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 02:23 PM   #7

Winding back country roads...just watch for the police. And if get stopped...tell the cop you were glad his was there. My damn foot got caught between the gas pedal and the side tunnel. I was scared s....less, thought I was going to die.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 05:30 PM   #8
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave S.
I always let them drive. That's all it takes.
Me too. I don't know why, but I love to share this toy.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 05:46 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2000s
Me too. I don't know why, but I love to share this toy.
+1

letting someone else drive it is the best way to let them reallly experience it...
2006 RL - My daily driver
2000 Boxster - Ocean Blue Base 5spd on Black Full leather. 18" wheels and M030.

Boxster mods I've added: Rear speaker kit, Painted Calipers, Painted Bumperettes, Painted Center Console, 987 Shifter Assembly, 3 Spoke Steering Wheel, Clear side markers, 03+ rear lights, de-snorkeled.
23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 06:49 PM   #10

Garage
Let someone else drive my car?... Ha ha ha...

No
Old 04-27-2010, 06:58 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by landrovered

No
hah. glad i'm not the only one. was starting to feel like maybe i have a problem...
Old 04-27-2010, 07:02 PM   #12
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by landrovered

No
It's like letting someone watch you play with your toy, what fun is there in that? Giving someone else the experience is a pretty good feeling.

I have friends who have never been in a Porsche, let alone driven one. I like to give them the opportunity. I'd (will) do the same thing if it were something exotic, like a Lamborghini or Ferrari.

Now I know how it felt for my uncle to let me drive his '77 Targa or my cousin with his '87 Targa when I was a kid. If it weren't for my mother-in-law's boyfriend, I wouldn't have been able to ever drive some really cool exotics. I wouldn't even know what a Bizzarini is, let along have driven one.

http://www.healeysix.net/images/bizzarini.jpg

Last edited by blue2000s; 04-28-2010 at 05:26 AM.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 02:43 AM   #13

I let them drive my car and just keep am eye out for them exceeding "their" limits. I have had some nice cars in my life and was never selfish about the driving experience. I loved the look that someone had when they got done driving my MGB. 289 Ford engine pushing over 350HP. It is never the same when someone else is driving. Ed
cvhs18472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 03:03 AM   #14

Unfortunately, NE Ohio doesn't have an abundance of challenging twisties---at least not right around here where I live. But there is ONE close by, a sort of cut-through "short cut" (it's actually longer) between two more heavily traveled roads. (My kids, back when they really were kids, used to call it "the fun road") That it is actually longer is, of course, a good thing---keeps traffic down to a large extent.

Anyway, when I take someone for a first-drive in a Pcar I go various different directions, BUT I always work it so I end up on "the fun road". Having taken it easy up to that point, that's where I push her. Took my older cousin on such a run a couple years ago. Despite his reaching for the "phantom" passenger side brake pedal a few times, he seemed to have a good time.
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 04:24 AM   #15

I like to go to my favorite on-ramp, ~65 MPH at the "apex". Sadly, N.J. isn't great for twisty roads either. I really need to move!

I actually enjoy letting family drive it ( wife,parents,brother-in-law ), I haven't trusted any friends with it yet.
stephen wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 05:24 AM   #16

Let my brother in law drive one of my 911s years back...he went through my neighborhood at 70mph and the folks thought it was me driving...never lived that one down. Needless to say, I always give caution about speed limits and try not to let their exuberance take over.

It is fun to look at their face as they experience the drive for the first time.
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 05:46 AM   #17
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
If I know they can properly drive a stick, I'll let them drive my car. Sitting in the passenger seat to go along for a ride is not the same. I personally hate to ride in the passenger seat because I feel like I have no control.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 06:47 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElementAI
Curious what everyone does when they take a Porsche first timer
out for a ride? Anyone have a routine or things they do that make the
experience? Think this will be interesting.

Hand them the key and see how long it takes them to figure out where the ignition is...
Old 04-28-2010, 11:30 AM   #19
Bry

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmike
Hand them the key and see how long it takes them to figure out where the ignition is...
+1 This is awesome. I won't do it for just anyone, but I have no problem tossing the keys to someone that has proven to be mature and responsible.
The "How's it start?" question is always a hoot. I usually demand that they get out of the car if they are so incompetent they can't even start it... but I usually can't keep a straight face for long!
Bry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 03:25 AM   #20

Great replies!!

I am really glad my brother took me out for a drive in his S when he came to visit.
We put the top down and got out on the road where we toodled along for a minute or two until suddenly he looked over and said "you ready"? Before I could answer.... The power came on and I was thrown back into the seat and we rocketed away faster than I have ever dared on that road. What a rush. After some demos of fast lane changes and 25 mph exit ramps at 3 times speed... He pulled over and said " Your turn"! I couldn't wipe the grin off for hours!!

ElementAI is offline   Reply With Quote