Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2010, 08:07 PM   #1
Run

Interior painting ?

I am considering doing a complete repaint of all my interior plastic parts. My idea is to buy some cheap interior parts of ebay paint them and see how they turn out.
I have all the gear to paint with but I dont have a clue when it comes to automotive paints. My interior is black so I will keep the current scheme except use a glossier paint with clear coat.

Has anyone done this and if so what type of paints and primer did you use. Anyone know of a DIY on this subject?

Thanks

Will

Run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 11:41 PM   #2

interior paint

Hi,

you get an aerosol plastic primer which will work perfectly on the plastic parts. In my experience I have sanded the parts with 600 grid sand paper, sprayed the primer and then you can use either an aerosol gloss black or 2k paint on top of the primer.

after sanding, wash the parts in water with some soap using a scotchbrite. Then dry and apply plastic primer. Only apply one coat of plastic primer-thin.

do not use anything solvent based before painting.

Rob.
sickbananas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 12:08 AM   #3

When I bought my car this had already been done. The centre console and the piece behind the dials had been painted silver to match the arctic silver exterior. It is a nice look. If you are painting these pieces it might be an option to match it to the car colour. On mine it looks good.

Daniel R is offline   Reply With Quote