Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2010, 05:44 PM   #1

Garage
Anyone in Des Moines, IA?

Hey guys!

As you probably read previously, I got my Boxster S Wednesday, in Santa Monica, CA and now driving it ALL the way back to Ottawa, Canada.
So far, close to 3,000km and now sitting and typing this email here in Des Moines, IA.
Before leaving CA, I got the MAF replaced and the car checked (I knew it had codes 1128/1130 previously). The original MAF was extremely dirty thanks to an oiled filter that is now very dry.
Car ran better and all codes cleared.
So today, after close to 3,000km the damn CEL came on again.
I am pretty confident it is something related to the previous 1128/1130 codes.
Since the light came on, I did not notice any changes whatsoever.
Driving the car in the highway the engine temperature stays where it should be at all times, gas mileage is very decent (28MPG), no oil drips/leaks, etc. All seems to be working perfectly.
As I only have another 1,700km (1,000 miles) to home, should I be worried?
If there is any helping hand in Des Moines, willing to take a quick look at it during Easter Sunday Morning, that would be awesome.
I am staying at the Embassy Suites on the river (101 E Locust St - Room 314) and as I said can go anywhere in Des Moines.
But again, anything to worry? As I said it drives great, sounds great, has new tires, PVC window, MAF, oil changed, etc!

Thanks guys, any comments REALLY appreciated.

Claudio R.

crod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 07:31 PM   #2
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
If the CEL is not blinking, drive on, but get the code read as soon as you can. If you going anywhere Milwaukee tomorrow, I can help.
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 06:01 AM   #3

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
If the CEL is not blinking, drive on, but get the code read as soon as you can. If you going anywhere Milwaukee tomorrow, I can help.
Thanks for the offer Paul, appreciated!
No, there is no blinking at all and as I said fuel/oil consumption are 100% normal, engine temperature, noises, vibrations, etc. No leaks anywhere, just perfect.
I am almost sure this is related to the air box that was replaced with a cone filter some years ago by the original owner. Thank Lord he had all the parts he took from the car (the original air box with the Porsche logo) so as soon as I am home, that is getting back into the car. No more "mods" on it.
For God's sake it is a Porsche, not a Honda Civic.
So no need for 'modding' like this guy was into. At least he did not do anything major, just simple things like that AND saved all the original parts.
I will PM you my details in case I have a major failure.

Cheers!

CR
Old 04-04-2010, 07:14 AM   #4

have you been sticking with the same gas ( octane rating )?

like paul said, if it's not blinking you're doing alright ( i hesitate to say okay but you know ).

many local parts shops ( autozone, advance auto, pep boys, etc. ) will read the code for you for free. might stop in there and see what the codes are.
Old 04-04-2010, 05:42 PM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonycarreon
have you been sticking with the same gas ( octane rating )?

like paul said, if it's not blinking you're doing alright ( i hesitate to say okay but you know ).

many local parts shops ( autozone, advance auto, pep boys, etc. ) will read the code for you for free. might stop in there and see what the codes are.
Well I guess I will have to check that tomorrow. Just got here in Port Huron, MI after another 10 hours! So my journey back to Canada is almost over! 3,900km so far and the car has been flawless. Even mileage is unbelievable (8.6L/100km or 28MPG).
I will definitely get that checked either tomorrow or Tuesday and fixed.
Will put the stock air box back with a genuine Porsche filter.
Awesome trip, incredible landscape and so on. But no way I will ever do it again. Next Porsche I will definitely ship or buy in the East Coast.

Cheers!

CR
Old 04-04-2010, 05:52 PM   #6
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
Glad to hear that you are closer to home.

I've made several such trips in my 01 (mainly to the last 9 Parades) and the one thing that got me twice was tire wear. I now make taking a look at the tires as part of the checklist before leaving each morning while doing such trips.
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Old 04-07-2010, 06:18 PM   #7
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
I assume you made it home by now......
Old 04-08-2010, 08:03 AM   #8

Garage
At home indeed!
Brought the car to the mechanic and the CEL were nothing to worry about. There was a 1601 (Voltage high apparently) and some for the O2 sensors. These are getting replaced on the 21st once I get back from Australia (off to Melbourne tomorrow).
The car will need a new clutch sometime in the next 10,000 miles I think so I just ordered one and will keep it at home until time comes. Same for the RMS seal.
Other than that, perfect vehicle.
Now need to put the center console back (the car has the 'Delete' factory option) and move the air conditioning controls to the console so I can install the Navi unit. Once it is done I will post pictures for sure.

Cheers!

CR