Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2010, 01:58 PM   #1

neighbor bought a speed yellow 996

The mrs. and i purchased our 1st home in a middle middle class neighborhood where you see more kias and ford taurus' than foreign cars and certainly no other porsches.
We for some unknown reason live below our means and sometimes live in these areas. It is decent and pretty clean in most parts of the development. Great 1st home for young people and great lifetime dream for trailer park or even older people who want a small house.

We have a 99 es300, 97 integra and 01 4runner that stand out and look a little out of place with the other minivans and such.

I bought my 02s last winter and have enjoyed it immensly. It more than the other cars sticks out like a sore thumb, not that i care, but i can almost hear the sneers and whatever.

A neighbor who has had a vette and a sweet sounding cobra that wasn't more than a few years old stopped by last year and was admiring the boxster.

He mentioned that he has always wanted to own a porsche, but hasn't yet.

fast forward to a couple weeks ago, i notice this yellow 996 with aero package with a droning loud exhaust passing through and go up to the end of his cul de sak. i didn't pay much attention but i do remember the neighborhood kids walking in that direction.

So i hear and see it this morning and my curiousity got the best of me. It was my neighbor.

I didn't find it too odd that he bought a porsche but a yellow porsche. I know there are people who really like yellow porsches but why another one in my neighborhood? Not jealous, but intrigued. I get along with him but we talk once or twice a year, at least we have something in common now.

dallison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 02:40 PM   #2

Same here...I bought our home back in 1967 in modest development built back in 1956. Nice homes, nice neighborhood, and I live on a park. I can see my backyard neighbors home of at about 150 yards away. Big lots too. Stayed here and paid it off. Debt free is the only way to go. Anyway, I'm the only guy who has a Porsche...like you, they have Kai's, mini-vans, or something that should never be on the road.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 05:59 PM   #3

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcb986
Same here...I bought our home back in 1967 in modest development built back in 1956. Nice homes, nice neighborhood, and I live on a park. I can see my backyard neighbors home of at about 150 yards away. Big lots too. Stayed here and paid it off. Debt free is the only way to go. Anyway, I'm the only guy who has a Porsche...like you, they have Kai's, mini-vans, or something that should never be on the road.
What do you have against KIA?
Honestly I sold my 2006 Cayenne bought brand new and got a brand new KIA Rondo with everything you can imagine, from leather to Navigation (and now got the Boxster S too). The KIA is for sure one of the BEST daily drivers, people hauler, that I have ever owned. Extremely quiet, good on gas and with all the amenities you usually find on much higher end cars. And the fit and finish, for this segment, is guaranteed WAY above average. Very impressed with the car for sure.
Neighborhood wise, well my next door neighbor has a 2007 Ferrari F430 60th anniversary, a limited edition Jaguar XK8 (Silverstone, only 250 made) and a nice 2007 Mercedes S600 V12 AMG (unbelievable sedan). So my poor Boxster, KIA, Jeep, etc are simply no match.
At least he stops by every weekend and we go to some cool places in Ottawa on the F430. Nice car for sure.
The next on my list is either the 456GTM or the 612 (but for this one I need to wait another 4-5 years until they drop below the 100k mark).

Cheers!
crod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 06:38 PM   #4

my my my aren't we special......living "below our means"....it's nice that you grace the little people with your presence and your fancy car....you give Porsche owners a bad name.....
fastorange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 08:47 PM   #5

FastOrange, I would advise you reword your comment. Posts like that are unnecessary and are not tolerated here.

If someone who is worth several million chooses to live in a 150k 3 or 4 bedroom house in a decent suburban neighborhood they are "living below their means" which means they can afford to live elsewhere at a higher cost of living.

He does not give Porsche owners a bad name, it is people that are ignorant, and you sir posted a very ignorant comment.

Back on topic,

I think your neighbor either got a great deal on the yellow 996, or he honestly likes the way they look.

Personally, I would choose a yellow 996 with a black interior over a black on black. Just my personal opinion.

http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/hprofile..._4015248_n.jpg

Last edited by PlayersExpress; 03-28-2010 at 08:54 PM.
PlayersExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 09:11 PM   #6

Dallison and PlayersExpress, could the pair of you be any more arrogant!

No one on this board cares how you choose to spend your money, or how much of it you have. And believe me, when I found out how cheap cars are in the US compared to Australia, owning a Boxster does not carry any bragging rights for you guys whatsoever.

We are all members of this board because we own and enjoy our Boxsters, we like to offer help and advice to each other, and of course share interesting stories.

Leave the bragging for the bar at the weekend, there is no one to impress here, after all, we are all Porsche owners.
Daniel R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 10:06 PM   #7

There is a difference between bragging and a statement of fact.

Please tell me where in my previous post I was being arrogant and where Dallison was in telling a statement of fact.

http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/hprofile..._4015248_n.jpg
PlayersExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 04:17 AM   #8

Where in the hell is Bismark, ND....isn't that cow country. I guess he uses his Boxster to herd cattle.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 06:01 AM   #9

Actually dallison started his post out by basically saying that he was slumming. And he assumes that the local peasants are sneering at his Porsche related excesses. That's his opinion and not a statement of fact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallison
I bought my 02s last winter and have enjoyed it immensly. It more than the other cars sticks out like a sore thumb, not that i care, but i can almost hear the sneers and whatever.
This really isn't an appropriate topic for these forums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayersExpress
I think your neighbor either got a great deal on the yellow 996, or he honestly likes the way they look.
Yellow Porsches are excellent. I'd pay extra for a boxster or 996/7 that matches my 901. Porsches should only come in Guards Red, Signal Yellow, Irish Green, Arctic Silver, and Dark Blue. No that's not my car in the picture but it's identical and I don't have a pic at work.
ARModen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 09:25 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastorange
my my my aren't we special......living "below our means"....it's nice that you grace the little people with your presence and your fancy car....you give Porsche owners a bad name.....
um no, i think it means i don't live paycheck to paycheck and don't desire to have monthly bills like most people. I am not any better tahn any of these people who live near me, they are like me and work for a living. They have kids and having a car like this is non-essential to them.
But you have to have an idea when you get looks, that is common sense.

I am glad he bought a porsche and he probably likes the yellow. i Just thought it was a little odd that he bought a yellow one also, kinda like i want one too, but i'm very sure that's not the case.
Old 03-29-2010, 09:26 AM   #11

i used to like the british racing greens but not anymore, other than that i agree with your color preferences, and also white.
Old 03-29-2010, 09:56 AM   #12
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
I find this thread odd. Why surprised that he bought a Pcar in yellow? To me, yellow's no different from buying a red one or an orange one. Some people just like those colors on a sports car. You can't judge someone from what neighborhood they live in or what they do. They might have saved up a long time to finally buy their dream car, or have other sources of income. One of my neighbor's is a policeman, but he drives a 997 Turbo Cab.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red

Last edited by Boxtaboy; 03-29-2010 at 10:27 AM.
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 09:58 AM   #13

well in defense of your other neighbohrs, how do you know that they aren't also living well below their means? My folks never bought a new car, ever. As a matter of fact growing up I think we were lucky to have a car from the same decade. Meanwhile I was helping them to pick out yet another income rental property and was sitting on the house visits from their financial planner by age 13.
They kept all information about the financial investments tightly under wraps.
They told me that too many people judge you by your car. They will either think you are a poor bastard that deserves your sympathy or they'll ask you for a loan.

Warren Buffett lives in the same plain vanilla house he bought in 1967. Paul Newman drove an old Ford Taurus too or maybe it was an old Maxima. I forget but it was old.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 12:27 PM   #14

Garage
Once you go yellow ... you can never go back !
Johnny Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 02:43 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap
well in defense of your other neighbohrs, how do you know that they aren't also living well below their means? My folks never bought a new car, ever. As a matter of fact growing up I think we were lucky to have a car from the same decade. Meanwhile I was helping them to pick out yet another income rental property and was sitting on the house visits from their financial planner by age 13.
They kept all information about the financial investments tightly under wraps.
They told me that too many people judge you by your car. They will either think you are a poor bastard that deserves your sympathy or they'll ask you for a loan.

Warren Buffett lives in the same plain vanilla house he bought in 1967. Paul Newman drove an old Ford Taurus too or maybe it was an old Maxima. I forget but it was old.

so true, i most def don't know. They are prob doing what we do also. It's a great way to save money.
Old 03-30-2010, 05:55 PM   #16

[QUOTE=PlayersExpress]FastOrange, I would advise you reword your comment. Posts like that are unnecessary and are not tolerated here.

If someone who is worth several million chooses to live in a 150k 3 or 4 bedroom house in a decent suburban neighborhood they are "living below their means" which means they can afford to live elsewhere at a higher cost of living.

He does not give Porsche owners a bad name, it is people that are ignorant, and you sir posted a very ignorant comment.

Players,

I choose not to reword anything....the more I read the original post, the more it smacks of arrogance. Do any of us give a crap if somenone worth supposed "several million" lives in a suburb that is obviously, by his description, below his class? He states that it would be a lifetime dream for a 1st time homebuyer, trailer owner, or older owner.... Do you not see the incredible arrogance of those statements?

If you think I am ignorant for saying so, so be it. I'd like to think that up here in cattle herding North Dakota, we don't judge people by what they drive. The guy in the beat up pickup could be a millionaire farmer or rancher, and the guy in the boxster is a wannabe rich guy....dallison appears by his post to be someone who likes. to have "look at me cars", and is upset because someone in his neighborhood one-upped him by buying a yellow 996....or I could be wrong
fastorange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 06:33 PM   #17

This thread ranks in the top 10 lamest. I guess he missed the memo about not owning same car /brands/same colours. I'm sure your e-pen is way bigger than his though.

Sputter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 06:44 PM   #18

I recently purchased a 1999 Boxster for $8,900. It has a lot of miles, but looks and runs great. It looks better than most 2-3 year old cars in the complex where I live.

People think I am high rolling until I tell them how much less I pay for it than the Chevrolet Cobalt SS I was driving.

On a side note, I got a good laugh tonight when I noticed "the club" on the late 90's Pontiac Grand Prix parked next to me.

I need more Cowbell!
Yoadrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 08:15 PM   #19

Specifically to get off topic. Johnny Danger i like, no, i love the fiberglass. Did you put them on, and what are they. You can Pm me if we do not fit in.
SStiebers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 04:50 AM   #20

is it me or has this thread gone all Jerry Springer?!?! Put your hands up who was cringeing whilst reading it....

Anywayz congrats on the yellow peril johnny danger, the yellow seems to pull the kit into a tighter package than i've seen this kit on different coloured cars before, very sharp indeed!!

Oh well, must get back to taking the milk churns back in my boxster! think i'll drop off the tin cans i collected and then head to the bank to get rid of that sack full of cash thats been sat in the passenger footwell for months! Damn! don't you just hate it when the hole in your shoe gets caught on your gemballa gas pedal
:ah: :ah: :ah:

jonnycool is offline   Reply With Quote