Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2010, 05:23 PM   #1

keyless remote wont work

Hello everyone, just got a 98 boxster, superb condition, the only thing is that the keyless remote doesnt work. It flashes when pressing the buttons, but that is pretty much it. The car had been sitting for months. How do I troubleshoot? thanks! I am loving this car already...

edbelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 05:59 PM   #2
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
If it still doesn't work after opening the drivers door with the key and starting the car, you most likely need a new remote which will need to be programmed.
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 11:58 PM   #3

Keyless remote

It is the sensor in the key ring. If a new battery for the key ring won't do it, it's the sensor and you will need a new one plus to have it programmed.
Kale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 09:39 AM   #4

As Paul alludes, the car, not the key goes into sleep mode after 120 Hrs. (5 days) to preserve the battery, it literally stops listening for the key.

Use the key manually and start the car. This 'wakes up' the receiver in the car's alarm system.

Also, be sure to install a fresh battery to the key to insure you have maximum range.

It is not the 'sensor' in the key. This is commonly referred to as the 'Pill', and you should see it once you have the key head apart for the battery swap - be sure to confirm it's existance. This 'Pill' is really a transponder. When you insert the key into the ignition, the car emits a radio signal of very short range (think 1 or 2 meters) in a frequency programmed into the 'Pill'. This radio energy excites the transponder which returns the energy signal in a slightly altered state. Once the car recognizes this frequency, it allows the starter/ignition system to energize and start the car. This 'Pill' doesn't have to be in the key, it is not powered by the battery - it's power comes from the small radio signal emitted by the car, it just needs to be close enough (given it's limited range) to return the signal to the car. This is why there are several cars now that only require you to have the key in your pocket to start the car. The transponder is set, it is not programmed to the car, rather it is the car which is programmed to the key (transponder).

Cheers!
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!

Last edited by Lil bastard; 04-16-2010 at 09:29 PM.
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 06:30 PM   #5

I read somewhere where you have to put the key in the ignition and turn the ignition on and off at least 3 times to reset a counter. It seems that each time you use the remote it is logged and only goes to a certain number. To reset the counter one has to do this and if I am not mistaken the drivers door has to be open.

2010 Ford F150 FX4 Luxury

Retired after 38 years with the same company.
Jaak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 06:50 PM   #6
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
The remote contains an RF section that uses the remote's battery for power to communicate with the alarm system (under the driver's seat) to open/lock the doors and trunk(s). The car will start even if the battery is removed from the remote.

The remote also contains a transponder whose operation is explained above.

Both the RF section and the transponder must be programmed into the car with a PST-2 or better.

Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.

Last edited by Paul; 04-17-2010 at 06:33 AM.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote