Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2010, 12:54 AM   #1

Windows came down on their own??

I was pulling out of a junction this morning, and both windows went down about 3-4 inches, on their own, without me touching the controls.

As I have an issue with the roof not working (electrically), I'm now guessing that this is linked.

Previously, I had the void to the right of the battery fill up with water due to a blocked drain hole a while back, and water got into *lots* of places.

I'm wondering if there is a control unit for the windows somewhere - may well need drying out or replacing.....or is it all done via the ECU?

Where actually is the ECU anyway, haven't managed to find it yet

willd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 07:29 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by willd
I was pulling out of a junction this morning, and both windows went down about 3-4 inches, on their own, without me touching the controls.

As I have an issue with the roof not working (electrically), I'm now guessing that this is linked.

Previously, I had the void to the right of the battery fill up with water due to a blocked drain hole a while back, and water got into *lots* of places.

I'm wondering if there is a control unit for the windows somewhere - may well need drying out or replacing.....or is it all done via the ECU?

Where actually is the ECU anyway, haven't managed to find it yet
The ECU is mounted on the left side of the firewall in the rear trunk.

What probably got affected if you got water everywhere is the central alarm control unit. In U.S. cars it's under the driver's seat (left side). Not sure whether in your car it would be under the right side seat (probably not).

The central alarm control unit does control some of the functions of the windows. It can be saved if you catch it early enough and dry it out.

The other possibility for your windows dropping those 4 inches, if your central alarm unit is okay, would be one of the two microswitches that are located inside the convertible top latch receptacle.

Regards, Maurice.
schoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 08:00 AM   #3

I'd check that microswitch in the center of the windshield. The window's lowering means the car thinks you are putting the top down. Your roof not going down would be the same issue.

The Alarm control module is located under the passenger seat on a UK model. Your weird idle and the rest sounds like an electrical problem. I'd check battery terminals for good contact and see if your ignition switch got wet/corroded in the process.
ARModen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 10:20 AM   #4

Thanks, that's this weekend accounted for, the missus will love me

I almost want to shy off work and do it tomorrow....sad huh.
Old 03-13-2010, 10:54 AM   #5

Thought I'd post an update.

I stripped the centre windscreen roof-latch-assembly down this morning, and ran a multimeter across the switches - I was dissappointed to find them both working 100%. I put it back together and carried on with my (growing) list of things to do on the car. I fitted a new MAF sensor (another thread regarding that).

Anyhow, on the test drive, I go over a bump.....and...the windows drop, like the roof is ready to come down. I undid the roof lever/catch/handle, then pop it back into place, and i could then put the windows back up. It happened again on the way home.

So the lesson from this is, you can test the switches and they may appear fine, but they can swtill be faulty.

At least now I know I have to order a new microswitch unit!
Old 03-18-2010, 11:03 AM   #6

Update...

Decided to replace the microswitch unit. Ordered and fitted the new unit from a porsche dealer (£25 inc delivery) - and this has fixed the problem!

It's also fixed the problem of me not being able to lock the car, and has now enabled the roof motors to engage! Still got problems with the roof, I think when taking it apart I've moved the mechanism out of alignment but overall, I'm happier than before
Old 03-24-2010, 06:55 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by willd
Update...

Decided to replace the microswitch unit. Ordered and fitted the new unit from a porsche dealer (£25 inc delivery) - and this has fixed the problem!

It's also fixed the problem of me not being able to lock the car, and has now enabled the roof motors to engage! Still got problems with the roof, I think when taking it apart I've moved the mechanism out of alignment but overall, I'm happier than before
Which part of the mechanism is now out of alignment?

Regards, Maurice.

schoir is offline   Reply With Quote