Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2010, 10:33 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipola
There is 18inch lobseter for the boxster?!?!? I tought it was only offered in 19..
Yeah. A guy at my office has the 18" lobster forks on his Boxster S.

CaptainObvious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 11:31 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_T
...BUT, as the fluid absorbs water it gets darker in color, so if your fluid is still completely clear then you don't need to flush it, regardless of how long it may have been in there. (the part we likely don't all agree on, but I think changing things that are still good just because the service manual says so is a crock) If the fluid is starting to darken then, by all means, change it.

Secondly, the top. I just don't get why everyone is so hot to get the glass window "upgrade". It is smaller than the plastic window (less rear visiblilty), more expensive, and I really, really hate the orange defroster lines. I don't think that just replacing the window is a good idea - looks like crap no matter how well it is done. Replace the whole top with a good quality one. If you do have your heart set on the glass window you can buy a glass window top upgrade that will fit your existing frame...Good luck with your project!

Mark
Well, we agree and disagree.

You absolutely CANNOT determine the moisture content in brake fluid by simply looking at it.

The ONLY way to accurately check it visually is with a refractometer.

An SAE study of 5000 3-yr. old cars found an avg. brake fluid moisture content of 8%. At 10% moisture content, you may as well be running pure water through the system. So changing the fluid every two years is not only prudent, but proven to be necessary.

Brake fluid is indeed hygroscopic and this means that not only will it hold moisture, but it will actually absorb moisture from the air. All brake hydraulic systems are 'open' in that they have a vent (usually in the cap) to prevent a vacuum from being created and every brake application causes this vent to pull in outside air. Not only is this a safety issue with potential fluid boil causing inefficient braking, but the moisture trapped by the fluid will lead to corrosion of the hard lines and brake internals.

I totally agree with you on the aftermarket glass window tops and would add that these also prevent you from putting the top into the 'Service' position making filter and fluid replacement difficult to impossible.

Cheers!
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 11:42 AM   #23

Quote:
Congrats on your great deal! Here's a couple of differing opinions for you (the great thing about forums!):

Firstly, the brake fluid. The reason for changing brake fluid is that it is a hygroscopic fluid (absorbs water over time) and this will of course affect the efficiency of the brakes. (so far we probably all agree). BUT, as the fluid absorbs water it gets darker in color, so if your fluid is still completely clear then you don't need to flush it, regardless of how long it may have been in there. (the part we likely don't all agree on, but I think changing things that are still good just because the service manual says so is a crock) If the fluid is starting to darken then, by all means, change it.

Secondly, the top. I just don't get why everyone is so hot to get the glass window "upgrade". It is smaller than the plastic window (less rear visiblilty), more expensive, and I really, really hate the orange defroster lines. I don't think that just replacing the window is a good idea - looks like crap no matter how well it is done. Replace the whole top with a good quality one. If you do have your heart set on the glass window you can buy a glass window top upgrade that will fit your existing frame.

I got my replacement top (plastic window) for my '99 from Prestige out of England for about 2/3 the price of GAHH and I am very happy with the fit and quality. Prestige is one of the few that can "weld" in the plastic window, unlike many aftermarket suppliers who just stich it in. You can do the replacement yourself if you are careful and slightly mechanicall inclined.

Good luck with your project!

Mark
Mark
Thanks so much for the input. The boxster community is great. I will check out the color of the brake fluid and make a decision to flush or not. I really don't think it is going to be that bad. I have known the woman I bought the car from for over five years. It sounds cliche but the only thing she ever really used the car for was to go to church on sundays and a few trips up north. The rest of the time it was in her garage. Thats really the reason I bought the car. I wasn't looking for a boxster but now that I have one I love it! I'm not sure what I will do about the back window yet. The weather is nice in Phoenix so most of my driving will be with the top down anyway.
lowmiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 12:38 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowmiler
Mark
Thanks so much for the input. The boxster community is great. I will check out the color of the brake fluid and make a decision to flush or not. I really don't think it is going to be that bad. I have known the woman I bought the car from for over five years. It sounds cliche but the only thing she ever really used the car for was to go to church on sundays and a few trips up north. The rest of the time it was in her garage. Thats really the reason I bought the car. I wasn't looking for a boxster but now that I have one I love it! I'm not sure what I will do about the back window yet. The weather is nice in Phoenix so most of my driving will be with the top down anyway.
Don't bother checking the color of the brake fluid... it will not tell you a thing, except maybe that it's REALLY bad as opposed to just bad.

If you don't know when it was last changed, or if it was 2 or more years ago... change it!

Cheers!
1999 Porsche Boxster

Old 02-22-2010, 01:38 PM   #25

I will gladly defer to Lil B's obviously better knowledge on the topic of brake fluid (and just about everything else Porsche, for that matter). A classic case of fact vs. folklore. And I guess I'll change my brake fluid when I pull 'er out in the spring...sigh*
Mark_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 01:54 PM   #26

Sounds like I will be doing the brake/clutch fluid in addition to all the other things. I don't want to cut corners on maintenance.
Old 02-22-2010, 01:57 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowmiler
So I researched offset for the Carrera lobster claws. Found a car on this site with them. et57 for the front and et46 for the back. Wheel size is 19x8 front and 19x9.5 back. Are the ones that came factory for the boxster different? BTW, I love your car! Did you paint the wheels black or did the come that way?
The numbers you quote are correct for a 987. I'm not an authority on whether they will work on a 986 (19s were never a factory option on a 986). Others will need to chime in. The thing you have to watch are offsets listed for rear wheels. 997 / 996 rear wheel offsets are generally et65. Wheel stores say these wheels will fit a Box, which is correct if you want to slap a big spacer on. But it sounds like you're looking at a set of wheels that are designed for a Box. Offset determines how far in and out a wheel sits on the hub. You want to be sure there's enough room to miss suspension pieces, e-brake cables, and fender wells. Buy a set of wheels with the wrong offset and you've made an expensive mistake.

I previously had an 01S and bought a set of 18" Carrera S wheels from Wheel Dynamics. I see they currently don't offer them in 18", so maybe they're no longer available.

Thx for the compliment. Limited Editions came with the wheels in black from the factory. I'm generally not a fan of black wheels but think they work well in this situation.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 05:08 PM   #28

Quote:
I will gladly defer to Lil B's obviously better knowledge on the topic of brake fluid (and just about everything else Porsche, for that matter). A classic case of fact vs. folklore. And I guess I'll change my brake fluid when I pull 'er out in the spring...sigh*
Thanks, but there are many more here who know more about these cars than I.

But, I guess if you've been around long enough for 1700 posts, you do pick up the odd tidbit now and then.

Cheers!
1999 Porsche Boxster

Old 03-03-2010, 01:21 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scbrindley
Congrats on the purchase and welcome. Now, lets see some pictures of your new car!

SB
Here are the pics

Another great day in sunny Scottsdale AZ.
Old 03-03-2010, 08:25 PM   #30

Congrats on your new ride! My Boxster's certainly kept a smile on my face, despite all the repair work I've had to do on it.

If anyone has not mentioned this, I'd get a full inspection done on the car. Usually people do a Pre-Purchase one, but since you already bought it that won't be happening. My dad got a 2004 S500 last friday and got a free inspection from the Mercedes-Benz dealer, it's very cheap insurance (he just needs to replace some wear and tear suspension stuff, he tells me).

Lordblood is offline   Reply With Quote