View Single Post
Old 02-22-2010, 11:31 AM   #22
Lil bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_T
...BUT, as the fluid absorbs water it gets darker in color, so if your fluid is still completely clear then you don't need to flush it, regardless of how long it may have been in there. (the part we likely don't all agree on, but I think changing things that are still good just because the service manual says so is a crock) If the fluid is starting to darken then, by all means, change it.

Secondly, the top. I just don't get why everyone is so hot to get the glass window "upgrade". It is smaller than the plastic window (less rear visiblilty), more expensive, and I really, really hate the orange defroster lines. I don't think that just replacing the window is a good idea - looks like crap no matter how well it is done. Replace the whole top with a good quality one. If you do have your heart set on the glass window you can buy a glass window top upgrade that will fit your existing frame...Good luck with your project!

Mark
Well, we agree and disagree.

You absolutely CANNOT determine the moisture content in brake fluid by simply looking at it.

The ONLY way to accurately check it visually is with a refractometer.

An SAE study of 5000 3-yr. old cars found an avg. brake fluid moisture content of 8%. At 10% moisture content, you may as well be running pure water through the system. So changing the fluid every two years is not only prudent, but proven to be necessary.

Brake fluid is indeed hygroscopic and this means that not only will it hold moisture, but it will actually absorb moisture from the air. All brake hydraulic systems are 'open' in that they have a vent (usually in the cap) to prevent a vacuum from being created and every brake application causes this vent to pull in outside air. Not only is this a safety issue with potential fluid boil causing inefficient braking, but the moisture trapped by the fluid will lead to corrosion of the hard lines and brake internals.

I totally agree with you on the aftermarket glass window tops and would add that these also prevent you from putting the top into the 'Service' position making filter and fluid replacement difficult to impossible.

Cheers!
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote