Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2010, 06:59 PM   #1

Exclamation Transmission Problem - Help!

So there I was, minding my own business driving home from class in my 1997 986 when not even 1/4 mile away from home I drive over a speed bump at typical speed-bump-speed when I go to shift my car and I hear a loud CLICK!

...and now my shifter doesn't have any kind of pattern. I can spin it in a circle if I want.

Side story:
Earlier this evening a raccoon decided he needed to end it all, and he succeeded. Cracked front bumper and a horrible, HORRIBLE rattle now present while driving emanating from the rear driver's side. Think it's related? Either way I'm not a happy camper.

What's the diagnosis?

Bateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 07:10 PM   #2

The first and easiest thing I'd check is the plastic shift linkage. Perhaps it broke. You may be able to see by pulling up the shift boot and look below the assembly with a flashlight and inspection mirror. So you hit the raccoon first and then the shift problems second? With a 97 you can also check where the shift cables attach to the transmission. If you have the Bentley book it's page 34-5.
Old 02-02-2010, 07:11 PM   #3

I am going to say not to worry. Jack up the passanger rear side of the car. The rear passanger side of he transmission is a aluminum access plate Helsinki on with 2 ten millimeter bolts. Undo those and look up in there at where the cables connect to the tranny. Aka the linkage. If It is loose there is your issue. Simple re Aling the 10mm bolt that connects the two. Here is a small hole on the input shaft that you align it to set into. 10mm bolt is a set screw. I hope this helps and there is nothing major wrong. Let me know If you need more help.
Ebay Headers, Fabspeed high flow cats, JIC Cross, IPD Plenum, H&R Coilovers, B&M Short Shifter, AEM Uego Gauge Type Analog, Apexi S-AFC Select, 987 air box, Litronics, 2000 Tails and side markers, painted center console, 18" 987 S-Wheels, GT3 Front bumper with splitter.
JAAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 07:12 PM   #4

Yeah raccoon first, shift problems about an hour later. Thanks for the advice - I'll take a look in the morning. Right now, though, it's time for a drink.
Old 02-02-2010, 10:13 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bateman
Yeah raccoon first, shift problems about an hour later. Thanks for the advice - I'll take a look in the morning. Right now, though, it's time for a drink.

Bateman:

Here is a photo of the shift linkage at the right rear of the transmission from a 1997 986.

The red arrow is the 10mm set screw/bolt that Jaay is referring to.

Make sure to check the two couplings that are circled in green to make sure nothing has come loose or off there.

The blue arrow is pointing at the right side of the large aluminum cross-member, to give you a point of reference as to which area you are looking at.

The second photo is to further orient you as to the overall area, with the aluminum crossbar in the foreground, on the left.

Regards, Maurice.

Last edited by schoir; 02-02-2010 at 10:25 PM.
schoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 07:21 AM   #6

Turns out it's the shift linkage, which is a relief.

Called Progressive and they'll fix it all ($100 deductible) AND let me use my mechanic AND I'm not at fault. Dropping it off tomorrow

Last edited by Bateman; 02-03-2010 at 11:16 AM. Reason: Wrong part