Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2010, 12:52 PM   #1

Radio up-grade time?

I've been looking at up-date / up-grading the CDR220. There are too many choices, so it time for opinions.

One thing I view as a "must have" is Bluetooth capable... stereo Bluetooth. With the streaming internet radios stations (Pandora, etc) Cassettes and 8 tracks will soon be outdated. And I don't want to have to plug the Blackberry into the dash. I want all wireless.
The second must have is HD Radio.

Anyone done this yet? This is more than plugging in the Ipod.... with wires.

thanks

Old 01-30-2010, 04:09 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by vath2001
Cassettes and 8 tracks will soon be outdated.
Geez, where are we, 1983?
Old 01-30-2010, 09:04 PM   #3

For $180 from Crutchfield I got a JVC in-dash CD w/HD Radio, Bluetooth, and USB/iPod ports on the front. Plugged it into my factory Bose system and changed out the dash speakers. The HD Radio is great. Very good bang for the buck. I'm happy.

If you want HD radio built-in as opposed to an added cost add-on module, there are surprisingly few choices, though the selection is getting better. I think Sony just came out with one. One particularly nice feature about my radio is the option to set the LED color to match the rest of your dash to make it fit in a little better.
gschotland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 02:56 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by clickman
Geez, where are we, 1983?
Well I never heard of anyone playing their 33 albums in a car? And its too much work to keep changing 45's.

gschotland: Have you tried streaming music from a cell phone to your radio using bluetooth? Which JVC model did you get? I was looking at Crutchfield for ideas and I liked the JVC models. I may stop at a Best Buy and see if I can link with my phone to a display unit.
Old 01-31-2010, 08:05 AM   #5

I recently also threw out all of my 78 RPM records, and finally replaced the Gramophone in my car with something slightly better, which seems to be the answer to all of your questions:
AVIC F700BT installed

to the question of music streaming via bluetooth:
I am not sure if there are any receivers out there with support A2DP bluetooth

Edit:
But then again: Google is your friend
A search for "a2dp car stereo" brought me to this which seems to be what you are looking for: http://www.dualav.com/mobileaudio/xhd7714.php
2015 FIAT 500e "Nikki" my commuter car

Last edited by ChrisZang; 01-31-2010 at 08:15 AM.
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 05:00 PM   #6

Thanks. I did look at that forum, but it didn't answer my Bluetooth question. Your info about the A2DP streaming is very helpful. Now I know what to search for. I was afraid of getting stuck with a radio that just answers my phone.
Old 01-31-2010, 05:15 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by vath2001
gschotland: Have you tried streaming music from a cell phone to your radio using bluetooth? Which JVC model did you get? I was looking at Crutchfield for ideas and I liked the JVC models. I may stop at a Best Buy and see if I can link with my phone to a display unit.
Nope, never tried streaming. Rather than streaming, why not simply plug into the aux input? I mostly listen to the radio and old fashion CDs, you know those little silver discs people used to use. The JVC KD-HDR60 is a slightly newer version of what I have. Does the job quite nicely.

Looks like you'll need the JVC KS-BTA200 bluetooth adapter for $129 if you want to stream. I don't think Crutchfield has any receivers with this feature built in. Sony' coming out with some new HD head units that might work.
gschotland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 02:41 AM   #8

Why not simply plug into the aux input? I want to do this with my Blackberry... while streaming music off the internet. If the Blackberry is plugged in, it won't let me access the web. It may let me play the music off the mem card in the phone, but probably not off the web.

And I don't want wires all over the car. As it is I will have the phone plugged into the dash to charge it.

I am looking at the JVC KD-HDR20 with the Bluetooth adapter. The only difference I see with the 60 is color display changes... for an extra $69.

As for CDs, I thought those were silver coasters? I miss AOL sending me new coasters every couple of months.

Last edited by vath2001; 02-01-2010 at 02:46 AM.
vath2001 is offline   Reply With Quote