Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2002, 07:56 AM   #1

Question Floor Jack - How and where to Jack?

I have a flat tire and want to use my floor jack ... any suggestions!!

sturgedm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2002, 10:10 AM   #2

I think the jacking points are covered in the owner's manual pretty well. If I remember correctly, they are oval-shaped openings that mate with the OEM jack and are located at either end of the rocker panels inboard of the wheels.

Some aftermarket suppliers offer an adaptor for a standard floor jack that allows you to take advantage of the openings for alignment/retention and to avoid the jack cradle (or cup) from crimping bodywork under the car. If you need to do the work right away you might want to either use the jack supplied with the car until you can get the adaptor or figure out a suitable replacement/spacer block to do the same with the floor jack.

If you cook something up for the floor jack, let us know what you did!

Last edited by donv; 12-19-2002 at 10:12 AM.
donv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2002, 11:20 AM   #3

Jacked up with factory jack, the darn thing is too low to fit the floor jack under it at the proper jack point.

I used to jack cars up on the rear axle, transfer case, or differential, but I was too chicken to do it on the Boxster.

By the way, what's the deal with the foam encasement around the jack!!?

I had to use a hammer to bang the foam protecter off .....

I was really surprised to see how much tread wear goes on, on the inside edge of the tires. Pretty impressive difference to outside.
sturgedm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2003, 06:40 AM   #4

Thumbs up AJ USA adaptor highly recommended

Since I change from summer to winter tires, with different wheels, I regularly use a floor jack. I recommend the adaptor from AJ USA as this allows a very positive and observable engagement of the jacking points.
William Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 10:35 AM   #5

Most amateur use floor jacks have a minimum height of 5 1/2", but Sears has a 3 1/2" min. which is on sale this weekend. Got mine this AM for around $40. A true deal. Now to find (or fabricate) indicated adaptor.
2003 GMC Sierra 1/2 ton, White/ Black
2006 Mini Cooper S Silver Grey/Black
1972 Chance HOP ROD, red /w Yellow handlebar
wifesmainwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 12:39 PM   #6

Surprisingly I haven't seen anyone mention my jacking method. I've got the Sears jack and it just barely won't fit under my Boxster, which is lowered on Gemballa springs. I can't imagine how bad it will be once I get my side skirts!

What I do is put two pieces of 2X4 wood about 10" long under each wheel and then drive the car up onto these blocks. That gives me enough clearance to get the jack under the car. When I'm done with my work I just make sure to lower the wheels back onto these blocks, take the jack out, and just roll the car off the blocks. I learned to do this on my lowered Honduh. Just maybe $2 in materials and a little hassle.
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 12:42 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk
Surprisingly I haven't seen anyone mention my jacking method. I've got the Sears jack and it just barely won't fit under my Boxster, which is lowered on Gemballa springs. I can't imagine how bad it will be once I get my side skirts!

What I do is put two pieces of 2X4 wood about 10" long under each wheel and then drive the car up onto these blocks. That gives me enough clearance to get the jack under the car. When I'm done with my work I just make sure to lower the wheels back onto these blocks, take the jack out, and just roll the car off the blocks. I learned to do this on my lowered Honduh. Just maybe $2 in materials and a little hassle.
i do the same, drive on the blocks and then i can slide the jack under there
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 06:03 PM   #8
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
You can use a hockey puck as a jack pad, instead of spending $80 for one. I don't remember where I saw it but I know someone used one and it seemed to work fine.
Old 12-23-2007, 08:33 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick3000
You can use a hockey puck as a jack pad, instead of spending $80 for one. I don't remember where I saw it but I know someone used one and it seemed to work fine.
This seems to be the standard answer for Corvette guys.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s..._kill/Siga.jpg
Dr. Kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 05:37 AM   #10
FTD

http://boxsters.addr.com/jacking.htm
FTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 09:53 AM   #11

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
there was a thread just 2 days ago on ppbb.com, where a guy was showing step by step how to modify a hockey puck to fit on the jack.
look it up
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 11:26 AM   #12

Jack and Jack Stand Mods

I found a mod for lifting a Boxster with a hydraulic jack on-line. I bought a hockey puck and modified mine. I use an alternate lifting point just forward of the rear jacking point. The photos below are my completed mod on my jack and the url link at the end of this post gives additional details and credits.

For jack stands, I created a jig, screwed the hockey pucks to the jig and then ran the sled through the table saw. The rubber hockey pucks cut really well with a Dado blade and I made several passses until just the right amount was removed. The photo below shows one hockey puck in the jig. The jig was designed to place 2 pucks in it. Speeds up the process and makes all 4 pucks exactly identical.

I also made the cut deep enough so that it straddled the jack stand a sufficient amount. A nice snug fit.

Check this link for more info:

http://boxsters.addr.com/jacking.htm

Last edited by kbrandsma; 01-10-2008 at 10:48 AM. Reason: updated photos
kbrandsma is offline   Reply With Quote