Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2007, 10:49 AM   #1

Attention Would-be Jackers

The 3 1/2 " minimum height floor jack, necessary to clear Boxter bodywork is on sale this weekend at Sears. Got mine this AM for around $40. A true deal. Now, to find (or fabricate) an adaptor to fit the jack to the holes. Anybody got a Pic of said item?

2003 GMC Sierra 1/2 ton, White/ Black
2006 Mini Cooper S Silver Grey/Black
1972 Chance HOP ROD, red /w Yellow handlebar
wifesmainwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 11:22 AM   #2

Cheap Jack

Do you trust a jack that cost only $40? If so, Sears also has one for about $17, but I don't know if it will fit under a Boxster.

Ken
Ken Corsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 12:38 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
i would trust it to get the car up in the air, but i also always put jack stands under the car so its all good.
after lowering my car i have a problem jacking up the car as its too low for it to get under the car, so i have to roll it on a piece of wood and then i get some clearance.

do you have a part number or model number or anything for this particular jack?

thx
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 06:38 AM   #4

DJOLMAS: The Sears jack is the "2.5 ton Low Profile Service Jack, Model 50165." I just gave it a little tryout and it seems pretty steady, given it's size. As I used to work on race and street cars for a living, I know just to use the jack to get up to jack-stand level.
My bro (a Triumph TR 3 guy) had a nice aluminium competition low profile model which he let go w/ his race car, dammit. This Sears jack is, however free from pretension. Occasional use is the target, here. Otherwise I'da bought another Morgan.

PS DJOLMAS I like what you've done w/ your car and would like to thank you for sharing your experiences w/ us. Also your photos are pretty good, too. (This from a pro. photographer, for whatever that's worth.) Merry Christmas.
2003 GMC Sierra 1/2 ton, White/ Black
2006 Mini Cooper S Silver Grey/Black
1972 Chance HOP ROD, red /w Yellow handlebar
wifesmainwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 09:13 AM   #5
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Thanks for this tip. I just picked on up myself, for $40 it seems like a good deal for the occasional radiator cleaning and seasonal tire change.
Old 12-24-2007, 09:52 AM   #6

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
Quote:
Originally Posted by wifesmainwrench
DJOLMAS: The Sears jack is the "2.5 ton Low Profile Service Jack, Model 50165." I just gave it a little tryout and it seems pretty steady, given it's size. As I used to work on race and street cars for a living, I know just to use the jack to get up to jack-stand level.
My bro (a Triumph TR 3 guy) had a nice aluminium competition low profile model which he let go w/ his race car, dammit. This Sears jack is, however free from pretension. Occasional use is the target, here. Otherwise I'da bought another Morgan.

PS DJOLMAS I like what you've done w/ your car and would like to thank you for sharing your experiences w/ us. Also your photos are pretty good, too. (This from a pro. photographer, for whatever that's worth.) Merry Christmas.

thx a lot man, i really do appreciate it.
thats just how i am, i share everything w my buddies, good or bad, so people can take it for what its worth...
i love cars and photography, and it all just kinda ties together.
i finally got my lazy ass to order some smoked triangles for the litronics that i had installed for over a month now, so ill be taking some new pics soon (i think Jeff will be the happiest person to see them on my car)

marry xmass

exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote