Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2005, 12:31 PM   #41

Send a message via AIM to wombat7
I just got done driving an 01 Box... and wow... I loved everything about it... the handling, the responsiveness, and most of all the sound!! Wow it was incredible... now I just have to get my roomie to let me drive his S2K and see how it compares :-D

1984 944 NA

"Live Fast, Live Young, Leave a good skid mark" - James Dean
wombat7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 02:42 PM   #42

Who's was it? I've never driven a standard boxster, so when you drive mine let me know what you think.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 04:46 PM   #43

you'll find the S2000 faster than a standard boxster.

The Boxster S and the S2000 seem to have similar power to weight ratios.
with a heavy advantage in torque to the boxsterS(unless its a newer S2000).

for my local Non-SCCA Autocross club, the class for the Boxster S is
above the S2000. THe boxsterS big class competitor is the 4WD Subaru WRX STI at nearly 300hp. THe standard boxster would stand no chance against that STI monster.

go S.
go Manual.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 05:19 PM   #44

A good boxster driver could easily beat an average STI driver in Auto-X. Handling>power in auto-x.
Old 03-30-2005, 05:29 PM   #45

It is at a dealer here in town... maroon on gray 01 w/34K mi...

they are asking 33K but would give it to me for 26900... i thought that was a little outragous...

It was a little different than what I expected. The interior was a lot nicer, but the ergonomics bothered me a little. I couldn't help but feel like I was reaching down for the shifter. The handling was incredible. I gave the salesman one hell of a ride He didn't let me drive it very far so when he asked me to make the last corner I kicked it sideways a little. I was impressed at how easily it just snapped back behind me. The acceleration was incredible compared to my 944... I stepped on it and before I knew it I was doing 85...

Adam... How close are you to Peoria??

1984 944 NA

Old 03-30-2005, 06:14 PM   #46

Chad,
I just joined the site and just bought a 2005 Boxster S, triple black. I will post pics soon. I noticed that you are asking about the differences between the s2000 and the Boxster. I just traded a 2003 triple black S2000 on my new Boxster. I can't say the differences between the 986 and the S2000, but I can tell you a thing or two about the S2000. The Honda is reliable and it fun to drive. It lacks torque and low end power, but if you have the room to wind it out, above 6500rpms, the car is a blast. It does have some little annoying issues that I think you should be aware of. The ride quality is terrible compared to a European Car. (I had a 1993 VR6 Corrado before the S2000, very happy to be back in a German Car) My new Boxster has 19" Carrera S rims with 35 Series tires and it still rides so much better than the S2000. The car is very loud even with the top up. Forget trying to answer your cell phone while driving. Also, it has a poor stereo and the roof makes little quirky noises while driving. It lacks features. The dash is very plain and their aren't many options to choose from. Another annoying thing is every civic in town will try and race you. The positives of the S2000 are they are relatively cheap. You can get a nice used one for around $20k. The car takes corners like its on rails and even thought it is a convertible, it has very little body flex under hard cornering. If I had to do it all over again.... I can't say I regret owning the S2000, but I wouldn't buy another one. I hope this was helpful.
BoxsterMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 06:23 PM   #47

BoxsterMD,

Thanks a lot for your input. I definately noticed the same things after driving the Box today. I definately like the ride quality of the Box better than that of the S2K. Maybe that is something they changed in the new S2Ks though. I have a test drive scheduled tomorrow at the local honda dealer. Everything in the S2K seems cheap where as in the Boxster it seems well thought out and well made. This is somethign that I like. Another thing is the fact the German car engineering never ceases to amaze me. Every time I look at my 944, or at the boxster, there is something else that sticks out. The way a part is made, the way something is placed... Sorry that was the engineering nerd in me coming out

1984 944 NA

Old 03-31-2005, 06:16 AM   #48

Peoria is about an hour and a half away. What's in Peoria?
Old 03-31-2005, 10:12 AM   #49

I will be in Peoria the weekend of the 16th which I now realize you said you were busy. I have the weekend of the 23-24 free if you wanted to come then... just let me know when you are available and we will work something out...

1984 944 NA

Old 03-31-2005, 03:33 PM   #50

I am in Cancun from the 18th to the 23rd. I'll just drive to terrra haute..peroria is too far. The drive to Terra Haute is nice though and it gives me an excuse to drive more. How bout last weekend in April or early May?
Old 03-31-2005, 04:03 PM   #51

the last weekend in april would be good. I'm free then. Saturday would be the best day for me. If this is ok i can PM you or something with where to meet and we can work out what time.

1984 944 NA