Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2010, 07:39 AM   #21

Where they tossing the energizers or the Kodak Ultralife batteries?

Both made from the same lithium, granted it's less a problem than if all batteries were LiF but someone is processing them somewhere. Either that or they are at the ocean bottom or some third world country in a pile...

eightsandaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 08:27 AM   #22

Actually, small lithium batteries are a lot different than a flooded style SLI lithium unit; but if you read small lithium battery packaging, they state that, like compact fluorescent lights, they should not be discarded into residential trash, but "disposed of at appropriate recycling center"; only problem is finding one............
Old 12-26-2010, 08:39 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2000s
Some need a longer cable, some not. All the same part number, correct?
No, depending upon the cable source, there seem to be multiple part numbers, some cover 97 to 03, then another number from 04 to 05, others list a separate 99 to 05, plus another for the Tip equipped cars, and so on. But even the same part number OEM cables seem to have been shortened somewhat, probably in a cost cutting move (copper is getting expensive)............. If we are replacing a factory cable, we pull and measure it, then order by length. If the car is being switched over to an Optima, and the factory cable is too short, again we measure it and then order up one with a couple extra inches of length. Most parts stores stock a ton of cables is various lengths.
Old 12-26-2010, 10:03 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightsandaces
The lithium units are reported to last ten years, if I can keep and drive my car into the future my plan includes a vigorous weight reduction program with the 10 pound battery as a start. I think lighter wheels than stock would be helpful too in reducing un-sprung weight. Things are pretty bad though, it's just as likely I'll have to sell for a giant loss and give the Fiat to my brother who has better working legs.
Lithium batteries suffer from reduced capacity in the cold especially below freezing point. Even the $2000 lithium battery available from Porsche is highly recommended for race use only.

http://www.****************************************************.com/product/LITHIUM.html?Category_Code=2010gt3_electronics

"The lightweight battery offers a very high standard of everyday driving qualities but its starting capacity is limited at temperatures below 32 degrees F or 0 degrees C, due to its specific features.

With its nominal capacity of 18 Ah, the lithium-ion battery offers a level of practical output and performance not only comparable to that of a 60 Ah lead battery, but better in many cases. As with all Porsche batteries, a genuine Porsche Battery Maintainer is recommended for vehicles which are stored for over two weeks."
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 04:56 PM   #25
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by eightsandaces
The lithium units are reported to last ten years, if I can keep and drive my car into the future my plan includes a vigorous weight reduction program with the 10 pound battery as a start. I think lighter wheels than stock would be helpful too in reducing un-sprung weight. Things are pretty bad though, it's just as likely I'll have to sell for a giant loss and give the Fiat to my brother who has better working legs.
You could also get a lightweight (16lb) AGM motorsport battery now from Odyssey or Braille for less than $200. Mine has been flawless for 18 months but I probably wouldn't depend on such a small batt through New York winters.