Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2010, 11:36 AM   #1

Trunk mounted fire extinguisher

Been meaning to post this for a while now. Maybe others have figured this out also, but just FYI the hole size/spacing for the boxster rear trunk latch attachment is exactly the same as for the small kiddie auto fire extinguishers mounting bracket. This makes mounting a fire extinguisher in the trunk as simple unscrewing/screwing two screws. I got my silver one at Walmart and it fits perfectly.

2001 Ducati 748S

Last edited by Roadsaw; 01-16-2010 at 11:42 AM. Reason: Added pictures
Roadsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 12:12 PM   #2
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
It looks good, but I would use caution with that Kiddie fire extinguisher. I had the exact same one in my front trunk by my amp. I lifted it out one day and the head came off the tank, shooting white powder all over my trunk.
It's a great idea, but I would use caution especially in that location, if you drop a golf bag or suitcase while loading it into the trunk you could be in trouble.
Old 01-16-2010, 01:04 PM   #3

Surely you'd want to be able to get to the Extinguisher as quickly as possible?
Different if you're at the scene of an accident and want to help someone else, but if it was your own car I'd think again:

If it was an engine-fire, the last thing I'd want to be doing is opening the rear trunk and if it was electrical and originating in the battery area...how are you going to open the trunk to get to the extinguisher? (assuming you have electrical switches!)
Either plumb in a auto-system or keep one close to hand.
Gary H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 01:20 PM   #4
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
That's what I was going to say...wouldn't you want it in the cabin?

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 01:21 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadsaw
Been meaning to post this for a while now. Maybe others have figured this out also, but just FYI the hole size/spacing for the boxster rear trunk latch attachment is exactly the same as for the small kiddie auto fire extinguishers mounting bracket. This makes mounting a fire extinguisher in the trunk as simple unscrewing/screwing two screws. I got my silver one at Walmart and it fits perfectly.

That location is useless..................needs to be where you can get at it in seconds. With an electical fire, and a trunk that opens electically, you are toast.

Put it inside the car.........
Old 01-16-2010, 01:30 PM   #6
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
After my extinguisher exploded, I found a BK mount and halon extinguisher on eBay for $100. It was well worth the money, but hope and doubt I will ever use it, but it does look great under the passenger seat. If anyone is interested I saw this BK mount on eBay today, it's a fairly good price considering what the mounts sell for new: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150405542010&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT#ht_500wt_1035
Old 01-16-2010, 02:33 PM   #7

Hmmm...good points actually, it probably should be in the cabin (the one I have in my pickup is). Got all excited about it looking like a safe/trick/easy place to mount it. Maybe I'll move it when I take the car out of hibernation in a couple of months.
2001 Ducati 748S
Roadsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 03:52 PM   #8

I also have the BK mount and Halon II extinguisher mounted on the p-side seat.

The powder extinguishers are less effective and it'll take you months to get all the powder out - could actually create more issues than a small fire would.

Cheers!
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 12:28 PM   #9

Fire supression

I am just curious as to how everyone is able to get to the fuel rails on top of the engine. I guess everyone practices getting to engine and are ten times faster than I am....?

I came across an extinguisher which has a heat sense hose on the end of if.
Apparently it ruptures when fire is present. Anyone have any practical experience with these? I thought I would remember the product name but it escapes me now. I would think one could mount this in the trunk and run the hose under the engine cover to give instant action. It looked like it could be viable diy fire suppression system.....

I think I may have seen this advertised in Excellence (a Porsche mag up here)

Last edited by jaykay; 05-13-2011 at 12:37 PM.
jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote