Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2010, 08:24 AM   #1

Radio Woes

I just purchased a 2003 Boxster S, I have an issue with the radio, The front speakers break up when I increase the volume, and the door speakers almost don't work at all, it does not matter whether the car is moving or not, and it happens with both the cd and radio. ( No cd changer). When I turn the fader to the door speakers they are very low and you can't tell whats coming out of them. Any ideas?

shore1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 08:42 AM   #2

You can check all the connections, including the faceplate, if you don't find a lose connection my next guess would be the output transistors on the unit.
eightsandaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 09:39 AM   #3

Those factory radios are Trouble. When mine started giving me problems (common faceplate issues), I looked into a remanufactured replacement or good used one. Both were pricey. I ended up dumping it for a $180 JVC CD head unit with HD radio from Crutchfield. Installation was easy, it mated perfectly with the factory Bose system, and the sound and functionality are a vast improvement over the factory Becker. Love the HD radio.

I know there were changes to the stereo in 2003 that might complicate a head unit replacement if you want to stick with the factory amp (if that's what you have & want to do), but it certainly can be done. Lots of good stereo upgrade posts on this site for you to read through.

Let us know how it works out.
gschotland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 03:35 PM   #4
Run

I just replaced my becker with the JVC in a 03. The install is simple only difficulty will be finding a switched lead. The telephone plug in the center console is the only switched lead close to the stereo. With the 03 there is not a switched lead in the factory harness. Once you know what to look for you can put the unit in in less than an hour.
Run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 07:52 PM   #5

Garage
Hey, try going to the dealer and have him re-introduce the head unit to the car with the computer (PST2). When I added a CD-Changer to my car, they had to "introduce" it to the car. When they did, I had the same issues come up with my head unit and they had to do it 3 more times to get it to act normally. Just a thought, shouldn't cost much at all to try.
Pirate50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 08:37 AM   #6

Becker CDR23

After looking atthe radio a little more, it is a Becker CDR23, no faceplate. Do I have any alternatives other than sending it back to Becker for repair. What kind of soaking can I expect there? Can I replace this radio with another one, does this radio have a way to hook up an Ipod? My first Porsche, lots of questions.

Thanks Dave
Old 01-08-2010, 05:02 PM   #7
Run

I think you will find Becker to be more than you want to spend. I have the one I took out of my car was going to put on ebay unit works fine.

You will have to reintroduce unit to the car dealership can do it or someone with the right computer can also do it. No radio codes on these car has to be told its not stolen.
Run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 07:54 AM   #8

Is yours a cdr23 ? How much do you want for it?