Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2009, 07:09 PM   #1

Front Trunk Light

Searched but couldn't locate in prior threads. What trips the front trunk light? I assume the locking mechanism Also read in an earlier thread that the light will turn itself off if trunk is left open for more that 2 hours, true? I'm working on my son's '99. Thanks

02LapisBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 05:26 AM   #2

Correct - the light switch for the trunk is in the hood latch mechanism

Correct - the light is supposed to turn off automatically if left open for more than 2 hours.

What you also should know is the frunk and trunk lights both turn on when either switch is activated...

You can try some compressed air to clean out the switch and some lubricant if they are sticky. Otherwise if you need, the bulb housing easily pries out from the trunk liner so you can remove the festoon bulb...
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 06:47 PM   #3

Unhappy Trunk Light issues

Thanks Burg, we are having issues with both front and rear trunk release, the '99 has mechanical release, the rear will not work at all, it will not budge. We have ordered a new cable, the front is difficult but will open. What's really bad is that the rear emergency release is gone or at least retracked into the casing behind the wheel well. My son loves the car and we kinda have had some enjoyment doing a few things to bring it along. this rear cable issue has been a pain though.
02LapisBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 07:00 AM   #4

Garage
I'm glad you posted this as....

I had the frunk open the other day to hook up a battery tender. I went nutso trying to figure out where the trip switch was so I could leave it open a little. I gave up and just took the bulb out. I did not know for sure if it activated the rear trunk as well. Now I know. I see you're in KS like me. My Boxster has sat for over 3 weeks now....bummer. Good luck.

SeanZ4 is offline   Reply With Quote