Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2009, 07:32 AM   #1

High Temp Paint

Any recommendations for rotor hat paint? Prefer silver and I know that black grill paint is plentiful. Other colors recommended? Thanks in advance,

AKL

'02, Arctic Silver/Graphite Gray, 2.7, TIP, 2nd cat delete, Charlie Chan muffler,de-ambered, Braille Battery, clear tailights, painted bumperettes, clear third brake light, M030 sway bars, F shock tower braces, clear rear deck, '03 side vents. 15mm spacers fore & aft.
Allen K. Littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 08:09 AM   #2

I used the brake caliper paint to paint my rotor center (hat) and the ends of the rotor plates and the fins in between. I used just cheap, flat black, high-temp paint for the insides of the hat and the area between the rotor fins. Actually, I did the inside first, the sprayed the fins from the outside. It was a PITA, but it turned out great and still looks great. BTW, this was on my Firehawk, not the Boxster. Here's a pictures of the results (please ignore the dirty wheels) while the car was still on the jackstands.

That's the rear wheel where you can see the center of the rotor better. Here's the front wheel where you can see the edges of the rotor and the fins better.

A friend of mine did his on his 'vette in silver after he saw mine, and they turned out great. He wanted silver so they would just look brand new and clean. If you use the caliper paint, it will be high-gloss. Keeping them clean is a PITA though.

Last edited by Mike_Yi; 12-22-2009 at 08:14 AM.
Mike_Yi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 08:12 AM   #3

Don't buy aftermarket rotors. OEM rotors have painted hats.
Flavor 987S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 08:25 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavor 987S
Don't buy aftermarket rotors. OEM rotors have painted hats.
What would be the reason for that statement?
The Balo rotors I got at Pelican Parts work fine and made it through several DE days already w/o any fading etc.
2015 FIAT 500e "Nikki" my commuter car
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 08:28 AM   #5

Allen, I'd just to go local parts store and ask for their high temp spray paints and see what colors they have. I'd also lay down a primer designed for metal and high temps as well.

Mike, I like what you did with the hats, but I don't think paint on the internal vents is a great idea. It will inhibit the rotor from releasing heat as well. Not a problem for normal street driving, but I wouldn't recommend it if you use the brakes hard.

Last edited by Adam; 12-22-2009 at 09:00 AM.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 11:23 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam
Mike, I like what you did with the hats, but I don't think paint on the internal vents is a great idea. It will inhibit the rotor from releasing heat as well. Not a problem for normal street driving, but I wouldn't recommend it if you use the brakes hard.
Good point. I don't race that car at all, and my goal in painting them was rust inhibition.
Mike_Yi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 11:47 AM   #7

Vht

VHT makes rotor and caliper paint. Just replaced mine with Balo's. I soaked mine in a degreaser, then blew dry them using my air compressor, taped up the rotor surface and painted them. Hats and vanes. Try Auto Zone. Discount also carries it.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote