Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2009, 08:53 AM   #1

Alignment requirements

I did a search, and didn't find anything specifically related to this. If I missed something, just let me know.

What about the Boxster suspension design requires "specialized" alignment rack/tools/whatever? If there are any, what are these special tools? I ask because I planned on taking my '01 to a local PCA-member-endorsed alignment shop, but they said that they are unable to align Boxsters. I've had the same response from a couple of other shops as well. Is there something non-standard about the McStruts or is it something else?

Samson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 08:15 AM   #2

Any alignment shop that is competent should have no problem with your Boxster. Keep looking.

I see you are in Missouri, check with a Porsche Club in your State or area.

1997 E36 M3/4/5
http://i713.photobucket.com/albums/w...ygug/arial.jpg
gerrygug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 08:20 AM   #3

Samson, I came accross the same thing. I was going to have it aligned at this one place a lot of people recommended but they said something about special tools. I'm not sure what "special tools" that would be either. I took it to another shop and they had no issues doing it at all.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 11:26 AM   #4

Look at the alignment specs in the owner's manual

and you'll find they allow for a variance. The good shop will ask you if you want a racing setup or a maximum mileage for your tires setup and know what the settings will do...probably because they set up Porsches for racing and so they know their stuff. Any fool can set the Boxster within the specs...and a good guy will know what effect one end of the spec will have as opposed to the other.

I got mine set up by someone who knows..who asked me what I wanted. 16k later I still have maybe 5k more tire wear on the rears. I got the setup I wanted. Didn't cost me a bunch either. But saved me probably $500 in tires.

So you pays your money and takes your chances....

mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote