Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2009, 08:38 AM   #1

AOS and Warranty

Quick question... I was just told my my auto repair that the crancase ventilation value and breather hose needed to be replaced after i towed 02 Boxster in. After looking at the forum this seems to be the AOS issue. They called in my warranty and was told by Intercontiental warranty that these items are not covered. my question is does this sound reasonable?

thanks for help....

Travelmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 09:13 AM   #2

a warranty company not covering something... I have never heard of that. That is outlandish.

2013 Lexus IS350awd
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2004 Porsche Boxster S
tnoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 09:26 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelmind
Quick question... I was just told my my auto repair that the crancase ventilation value and breather hose needed to be replaced after i towed 02 Boxster in. After looking at the forum this seems to be the AOS issue. They called in my warranty and was told by Intercontiental warranty that these items are not covered. my question is does this sound reasonable?

thanks for help....
No, it does not sound at all reasonable; but it does sound like most aftermarket warranty companies................
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 12:10 PM   #4

Why not read your warranty and find out?
Old 12-16-2009, 07:45 PM   #5

Reading your warranty is like trying to find out if your covered for certain health items... It vague...it says no deductible amd it mentions vaccum pump but I dont really know what AOS even is.
Old 12-17-2009, 06:54 AM   #6

not sure on the warranty issue, but a quick way to know if your AOS is in need of replacement is LOTS of smoke on cold starts

they said those parts need to be replaced, but what symptoms are you suffering and what was the cause for the tow?
stateofidleness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 06:58 AM   #7

I had been seeing some white smoke at some cold start ups. Then one morning last week I started it and felt very rough engine idle and it died.. Started it again backed out of garage and still very rough just new something was not right. Had it towed for that reason. Auto Shop said they need to replace something like the Crankcase ventilation value and breather hoses. Coming back to this fourm it apears thats the same as the AOS issue. Repair place called into warranty and I guess those items where not covered. So its costing me about $800 repair at the shop. I'm not a DIY kind of guy...

Charlie
Old 12-17-2009, 07:03 AM   #8

some smoke is normal on cold starts (nature of the flat 6 engine) but if the AOS is failing/failed, you will see a LOT of smoke for a good 4-5 minutes (think 80's metal show before the band comes out )

their diagnosis sounds accurate from your description, but I can't comment on the price they're charging as I'm not too sure what's involved with replacing said items

maybe someone else can chime in on that, but hoses (even P-car hoses) can't be THAT expensive. sounds like a hefty labor cost. hoses shouldn't be too hard to replace to be honest, even for a non-DIYer
Old 12-17-2009, 09:07 AM   #9

The AOS is quite a bit more complicated than just a hose.

More info:

http://sites.google.com/site/mikefocke2/airoilseparatorreplacement

-james

'01 Boxster S, 51k miles
'05 Mazda 6 Grand Touring Wagon
yimmy149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 09:09 AM   #10

the AOS is more involved, yes.. but it doesn't sound like an AOS issue