Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2005, 01:11 PM   #1

Got curb rash on your wheels?

I will attempt this repair on some curb rash after an icy road incident last week.
The paint is available at autogeek.net and properautocare.com
Apparently Wurth Paint uses the same paint code as all silver German alloys.
you can buy a can for $17

http://www.audiworld.com/tech/ext43.shtml

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 03-15-2005 at 01:14 PM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 02:55 PM   #2

Hey Dude, Good luck with the repair.

I can't wait to see/hear about the outcome (how easy/hard). The guys wheel on the website you linked to looks good, although he never said how the clear coat went.

I have a bit of rash on 2 of my wheels and some mobile dent repair guy quoted me $125 per a wheel to fix it/refinish it.

$17 + some elbow grease sounds a lot better to me.

Good Luck,
Larez2
larez2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 05:39 AM   #3
pez

Send a message via AIM to pez Send a message via Yahoo to pez
Hey any luck with this? I’m itching to find out, I have a mark about the same size from an auto detailing shop they must have ran it through a car wash that has tracks that grabs the wheel and pulls it through the wash..

Thanks!
pez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 09:18 AM   #4

I just did it this weekend. You can't even tell there was curb rash on the wheel now. Here are a few tips in no particular order. This is the first time I have ever attempted something like this so I probably could have done some things better with practice.

Here is what i used:
Wurth Wheel Paint kit ($42)
included cleaner, metallic paint, clear coat/laquer, and brush
Bondo Spot Putty ($3.50)
1000 Gritt sand paper ($3.79)

Remove the wheel from the car if possible. I thought about doing it on the car at first, but decided against. It will be a lot easier to work on removed from the car. I realized that my floor jack doesn't fit under the car! The Box is just too low, so i had to use the scissor jack that came with the car.

The Bondo spot putty i used was a lot easier to work with than i thought. I thought if i put on too much, it would be very hard to sand down, but it was actually very easy to sand down, I ended up applying the bondo twice, the second time i globbed on more and just sanded down to the desired level. I used 1000grit wet/dry to do the paint prep and spot putty sanding.

The wurth paint is too metalic in my opinion. The wheel looks good, you can't even tell there was any curb rash or damage on it now, but it looks more metallic than my other wheels. The edges are a bit tricky just because there is not much room to work with. I just used a peice of paper to create an edge with the spot putty - if that makes sense.

I needed more clear coat. I used the whole can of clear coat and that wasn't enough. I only used maybe 1/8 of the actualy metalic paint. BTW, i painted the entire wheel.

From the pictures you can see that my wheel was pretty messed up before. Overall, I'd say I am happy with the results. If there is a next time, it will definitely be easier, but if I could find a reputable place that would refinish a wheel for $100 or less, I think i would take it to them.

It took several hours because i gave each coat of paints 20 minutes or so to dry. 2 coats of metallic and 2 coats of clear. The cleaning, the bondo, the taking the wheel off and putting it back on.

Good Luck,
Larez2
Old 06-01-2005, 09:28 AM   #5
pez

Send a message via AIM to pez Send a message via Yahoo to pez
Looks good, thanks for the write up and the pics!
Did you have the wheels re-balanced?
I wonder if the filler will affect the balance at all.

Ya I’ve seen the ads for places that recond wheels but I just have a scratch so wanted to see if the color was a close match or not.

Thanks!
Pez
pez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 10:15 AM   #6

Hey Pez,
No i didn't rebalance the wheel. I didn't notice any wheel inbalance or vibrations, the filler and paint are minimal wieght.

The paint is close - just more metallic IMO. I'd say for smaller sections of rash, it would work okay, but will be noticiable after if you look close. I painted my whole wheel, and you can tell it looks a little bit different paintwise, but it's not bad at all, but i am pretty easy going/non-anal about those things to begin with. I think if you repair a small scratch, you will still know where the scratch is upon close inspection. A refinishing place would probably be able to make it look better than us home users....

HTH,
Larez2
Old 06-01-2005, 10:57 AM   #7

Talking

I have heard tell that the filler will crack and pull away.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote