Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2009, 04:05 PM   #1

Best aftermarket warranty?

I'm planning on buying a '05-'07 987 Boxster in the near, or somewhat near, future. My preference is to buy a moderate mileage, well-maintained, CPO car. But I don't want to rule out non-CPO cars entirely. So here's my question: Who has had good experience with after market warranty companies? Primarily I'm interested in coverage extending for the dreaded RMS and IMS issues. Thanks!

jrp911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 02:52 AM   #2

The best AMW is to put the money in the bank and use it to fix what happens. You have to read the fine print very carefully in the warantee contracts because the vast majoriy will not cover RMS or IMS failure, or if they do they make it almost impossible to get it paid for. Ed
cvhs18472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 07:34 AM   #3

Thoughts

RMS is not a big deal...just a oil leak. Lots of cars have em. It is something that can get put off. IMS is another level of problem entirely.

I know of no Extended Warranty company that can reliably be depended to to be happily accepted by almost all mechanics, dealers and/or shops and which will pay an honest amount without fail for the major failures you might have. A CPO is the only one even close to that and you have to make sure you have no over-revs lest even that be questionable and limit yourself to dealer service.

More thoughts on extended warranties .
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 10:27 AM   #4

Having worked for many years with warranty companies the best sceniro is to have the dealer's warranty and take it to that dealer if you have a claim.
This is, if you will be getting any warranty at all.
Old 12-12-2009, 11:56 AM   #5

Thanks everyone! Guess I'll stick to CPO cars or become comfortable with the "money in the bank" option.
jrp911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 09:31 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvhs18472
The best AMW is to put the money in the bank and use it to fix what happens. You have to read the fine print very carefully in the warantee contracts because the vast majoriy will not cover RMS or IMS failure, or if they do they make it almost impossible to get it paid for. Ed

I do this one as well. Makes sense that you'd come out ahead this way. No overhead.

Not for everyone. I do the same with collision coverage. Lots of liability coverage, bank the rest.
roadracer311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 10:08 AM   #7
JTP

I bought my 2000 S from a dealer and managed to negotiate a better price and an extended warranty and a 30k service into the buying price. I'm still planning to have the IMS upgraded along with the necessary items 'while I'm in there'. But if the engine goes before I get to it, I'll have some peace of mind. I can only hope they will pay for it. I'll deal with that if/when the time comes.
JTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 01:21 PM   #8

Stay away from AA Autowarranty.com

Based on my experience they will say anything (accurate or not) to sell you a warranty.
Old 12-22-2009, 08:19 AM   #9

+1 on self insurance.
Put it in the Bank and forget about it.

1997 E36 M3/4/5
http://i713.photobucket.com/albums/w...ygug/arial.jpg
gerrygug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 03:02 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrygug
+1 on self insurance.
Put it in the Bank and forget about it.
Same with my health insurance
now it seems I will be fined each year.
Old 12-27-2009, 06:09 AM   #11

I for one am not a fan of self insurance, engine failure and RMS is too common and too expensive, ask me how I know, to date I have had over $12k in repair costs, $10k covered by AMW. The odds of you having repair costs that equal or exceed the cost of the AMW are probably better than 50/50, with those kind of odds the AMW is well worth the risk.

It also depends on how much and how hard you plan on driving your box. If it is going to be a low mileage garage queen then I would skip the AMW and bank a slush fund for repairs. If you are going to drive it like you stole it, then get the warranty.

Just my $.02
Old 12-27-2009, 06:18 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingnut2u
I for one am not a fan of self insurance,

It also depends on how much and how hard you plan on driving your box. If it is going to be a low mileage garage queen then I would skip the AMW and bank a slush fund for repairs. If you are going to drive it like you stole it, then get the warranty.

Just my $.02
A warranty is okay if you drive the car as if mom was with you.

If you have a failure due to abuse then it is not covered.

There are many ways to determine the car is abused.
Warranty companies pay someone to determine this after inspecting the vehicle while it is torn apart at the repair facility. They document everything with pictures.
Old 12-27-2009, 08:06 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank M
A warranty is okay if you drive the car as if mom was with you.

If you have a failure due to abuse then it is not covered.

There are many ways to determine the car is abused.
Warranty companies pay someone to determine this after inspecting the vehicle while it is torn apart at the repair facility. They document everything with pictures.
Frank a Porsche is meant to be driven, it is a performance sports car. Please define abuse and then tell me what it looks like when they take pictures. If you do the proper maintenance and as long as you are not redlining the engine the car is not being abused nor will there be anything to document other than normal wear and tear.

Yes a non-dealership warranty's first line of defense is to try and find a way to deny the claim but if you take care of your car then they will have to live up to their end of the bargain. I know because my warranty just replaced my engine and they took pictures and tried to find a loophole but in the end they honored the warranty

As a matter of fact the people who drive their cars like mom or as if mom was with them are actually more likely to have engine failure.

BTW I do not drive like my mom
Old 12-27-2009, 08:22 AM   #14

Garage
In my experience, I have found that most of these after market warranty companies are comprised of a bunch unscrupulous individuals, who once they have your money, will refute and deny any responsibility when it comes to a major repair cost. I have a heavily mod'd 2002 S (garage princess) with only 17k original miles. I would rather face any problem that I may have head-on, rather than deal with some unprincipled underwriter who will look for any opportunity to obfuscate their responsibility. Hopefully, with proper maintenance and care, I will experience many years of problem free enjoyment.
Johnny Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 11:59 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingnut2u
Frank a Porsche is meant to be driven, it is a performance sports car. Please define abuse and then tell me what it looks like when they take pictures. If you do the proper maintenance and as long as you are not redlining the engine the car is not being abused nor will there be anything to document other than normal wear and tear.
wear and tear is usually not covered.
check your own particular policy

if a part broke, say a synro in the transmission (they never break unless abused), the clutch may be blued, teeth on the gear and slider would be ground down indicating continuous mashing of the grinding gear.
rear tires can show scoring from wheel spin, etc.
this is just an example there are lots more.

in short, break a part abusing the vehicle and more than likely there will be abuse evidence.
it all photographs nicely too.