Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2009, 02:06 PM   #1

Garage
flashing your lights at other porsches

"discussion on flashing headlights could be it's own discussion thread: Do you try it? Do you get a response? What areas seem to repond more (Country-City, West Coast -East Coast, USA-Europe)?"

this idea was originally from bmcuscgr94

so what do you think?

For me I do all the time... never gotten a response. I live just south of san fran.

Lobo1186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 02:30 PM   #2

"For me I do all the time... never gotten a response."

Probably because they think you're strange

Seriously, though, I can understand it if it was some ultra-rare collectors piece limited edition run, but it's a mass-produced automobile that are bought not just by enthusiasts, but by people who simply want the badge!
Gary H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 02:31 PM   #3

Garage
yes but i guess i should also throw in there it is kind of a tradition among the PCA faithful.
Old 12-18-2009, 02:58 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobo1186
"discussion on flashing headlights could be it's own discussion thread: Do you try it? Do you get a response? What areas seem to repond more (Country-City, West Coast -East Coast, USA-Europe)?"

this idea was originally from bmcuscgr94

so what do you think?

For me I do all the time... never gotten a response. I live just south of san fran.
Personally, if I see the other driver ahead of time, and its not a highway situation, I typically will wave to the other Porsche driver. Waving gets a better response, and doesn't confuse the other guy why you are flashing at him.

In some areas, flashing your headlights at another car can mean anything from "Your high beams are on" to "There's a cop just ahead, slow down". A wave is just about always going to be taken as "Hi! I have a car like yours, too! Isn't it awesome?!"

That, and the fact that I'm used to waving since I'm a motorcyclist, and I would have to say that about 85% of motorcyclists here in the US will wave back if waved to, just makes it second nature for me to wave at other Porsche drivers.

Oddly enough, I get about an 85% response rate to other Porsche drivers here in Colorado when I wave to them on just about any mountain road.

BC.

'98 Silver Boxster, '08 Ducati 848, '89 Honda Hawk GT, '89 Honda Pacific Coast
Bladecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 03:19 PM   #5

I've given and received waves back about half the time. When I had a Corvette (don't bash them until you try them) 95% plus waved back, same with motorcycles. To be blunt, many of the Porsche guys are far from the ones I'd prefer to have a beer with, a little too full of themselves. That'll rile things lol.
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 04:40 PM   #6

i do, there are a couple cars on my commute that don't. I think they are women who are driving whast was bought for them.
dallison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 05:39 PM   #7

Back before the boxsters/cayennes you'd always get a flash or a wave, or sometimes a guess at what year. Dealers need to discuss proper porsche etiquette before they let people drive off the lot in a shiny new toy!
ARModen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 05:42 PM   #8
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
At first I did a double flash every time I saw another Porsche, but I rarely got responses. Now I only bother on the weekends, on windy roads, or if their top is down.
Old 12-18-2009, 05:43 PM   #9

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreseller
When I had a Corvette (don't bash them until you try them) 95% plus waved back
"Save the Wave"
wanna986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 05:47 PM   #10

Garage
i think ill go for the daily double and do a wave and a light flash... may be tricky. HOWEVER, who knows maybe they will start to flash back knowing its just a porsche HI and not a cop or a hey turn your lights on dude.
Old 12-18-2009, 06:01 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallison
i do, there are a couple cars on my commute that don't. I think they are women who are driving whast was bought for them.

S'cuse me......I'm a woman......and I bought my OWN Boxster. In fact, I just purchased it a week ago and I'm trying to learn all etiquette. So far, I've had one wave and one flash of lights. I'm so excited when I get a response from another Boxster driver, that I just end up waving wildly and grinning from ear to ear. I need to calm down my excited response and do a slight wave of the left hand. Be cool! I will practice.

As an FYI.....I bought an '05 Guards Red Boxster with Sand Beige interior. It has chromed Cayman S wheels which I didn't like at first, but they are growing on me. Car is CPO'd for next 2 years.

Barbara
MeHappi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 06:40 PM   #12

Garage
well if im ever in the bay area (was yesterday) and i see a red box with a driver waving madly ill know who it is... and of course wave/flash (my double HI thing) back

Old 12-18-2009, 07:01 PM   #13

I've flashed the lights at a few Porsches, most enthusiastic response was from a guy in a 944!

Tried even flashing the lights at a few Cayenne’s, NEVER got a response.
941MXVET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 07:31 PM   #14
JTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 941MXVET
Tried even flashing the lights at a few Cayenne’s, NEVER got a response.
The worst tailgater I've ever had was a Canadian Cayenne. Going through Ohio on I-90 and all I could see in my rearview mirror was that fat bumper. It went on for hours. From my experience, many Cayenne drivers were very rude.

I've passed a few Porsches and rarely do they wave or flash their lights. I don't bother anymore.

When I'm on my motorcycle I always wave to other bikers and it's always enthusiastic, whether they are Harleys, sport bikes, or even dirt bikes. Seems like bikers are friendlier than Porsche drivers.
JTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 07:41 PM   #15
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I don't bother with Cayenne's, and rarely wave at 911 because they are mostly driven by people who bought a Porsche to be able to say they drive a Porsche and do not care about the driving experience.

However, I have had some good moments, like being waved at by a cute blonde, and exchanging a flash with a vintage 356 convertible.

Save the Flash!
Old 12-18-2009, 07:43 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTP
When I'm on my motorcycle I always wave to other bikers and it's always enthusiastic, whether they are Harleys, sport bikes, or even dirt bikes. Seems like bikers are friendlier than Porsche drivers.

Wont argue with this statment!
941MXVET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 04:47 PM   #17

Garage
waving always seems to work if the ohter driver can see you but even that sometimes results in a blank stare. flashing lights on two lane back roads works best for me.
bmcuscgr94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 05:54 PM   #18

Garage
yeah i flash!

there are very few porsche vehicles in our local except cayenne, i will falsh the Hi or wave to the cars, and have gotten the odd enthusiast's nod or wave back. .. your right it's much more common on the bike.

03-r1100s, 11-f800st, 09-987.2, Norton Commando
auf adlers fluegeln getragen
litteng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 05:35 AM   #19

Garage
Waving

I am 65 and have had one kind or other rag top since i was 18. I wave at all rag tops from cheap and old to new and expensive. I get very few wave backs. I also owened bikes and got waves from most, except racers. Don't know why people aren't more friendly. HAVE A NICE DAY
rivermanphillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 06:03 AM   #20

Garage
I always wave or flash my lights when I see women driving topless.

Johnny Danger is offline   Reply With Quote