Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2009, 04:50 PM   #1
Run

2003 Boxster cant decide

I am looking at buying a 03 boxster with a tip trany and 50 k miles on it. I have read all the stories on the IMS and RMS problems. Now I am not so sure I want to look at another one.
With that said if I do take the plunge what can I expect with this car going in. I know they used the single line bearings on this car so and IMS problem seems more likely. Is getting an extended warranty a good choice and if so any recommendations.

Or should I take it and have the retrofit done. I have never had to think so hard when buying a toy as this will only be for fun but on the other hand a blown up engine is not what I consider fun.

Will

Run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 04:56 PM   #2

They are fun cars, you will not be disappointed. The cost of the IMS Retrofit is pretty close to an extended warranty from what I recall. Jake Raby is not too far from you and being the pioneer in IMS related issues would take care of you. Or, you could buy the car, drive it and enjoy.

Last edited by coreseller; 12-01-2009 at 05:03 PM.
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 05:25 PM   #3

Garage
if i remember correctly (which i do)

for this:

new clutch, IMS retrofit, RMS update, upgraded lifters, new vario cam timing chains and tensioner pads also.

was about (or exactly) 6,000 dollars

and that would put to sleep many a nightmare. (this was for 60K service and some of jake's innovative upgrades as you can tell from the list)

and when i bought my box a couple months ago the going rate for an extended warranty was just shy of 7 grand... so coreseller is right on.
Lobo1186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 07:04 PM   #4

I bought my 03 Base Boxster tip in late June with 65k miles on it. I have already put over 6k miles on it without any problems and no oil stains on the garage floor when I pull it out. From what I have read on the forum here, the tips do not appear to have as many problems with the IMS issue as the manuals. On the plus side, you do not have to replace the clutch so that would save you some money on the upgrades if you choose to do them. I just drive my car and try not to worry about what could go wrong, it takes some of the pleasure out of the experience IMO.
Old 12-02-2009, 12:55 PM   #5

First Welcome!

The Jake Raby solutions look great. Google Flat6Innovations and LN Engineering.

I think an 03 is less likely to have either problem. The RMS is not that hard tp repair and a bit of a drip can come from several places.

The IMS can obviously be explosive. I'm going to Jake's upgrade for about $1k when I can afford it after end of year property taxes are paid.

Tips have fewer RMS issues, cuz of the lower weight at that end. Not sure about IMS? Never saw that before.

Use high quality oil/filters and change at about 5-6k miles.
PCA since 1970
70Sixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 01:45 PM   #6

Just to clear things up, cars with the Tip trans are less prone to RMS leaks. However, the transmission has no impact on IMS failures or the rate at which they occur.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 02:08 PM   #7
Run

I called the Porsche dealer and they had no major service on the car.
The original owner had the service done before it was necessary. The service guys said no leaks of any kind. Once IMS was mentioned he said he had no idea why it happened on these cars and proceeded to tell me he mostly saw the problem in low mileage cars. It seems after this weekend I may be the new owner of a Porsche boxster Fulfilling a desire to own a pcar since i was a kid. Now to decide if I drive it long before I get the upgrades done.
Old 12-02-2009, 03:30 PM   #8

Buy the car, take the money you would spend on a warranty, invest it wisely, and the odds are in your favor that you will have the down payment on your next Porsche when you get tired of this one.

1997 E36 M3/4/5
http://i713.photobucket.com/albums/w...ygug/arial.jpg
gerrygug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 03:59 PM   #9

I bought my 03 4months ago for 21000 it had 29000 miles on it and I've had nothing but fun
ocoeeboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 05:33 PM   #10

I meant to say RMS, not IMS. Sorry for the confusion but I agree, buy it and enjoy driving it.
Old 12-06-2009, 04:57 PM   #11
Run

Well I bought it and drove 400 miles home down I 95 hit triple digits on the speed and I now have I have a perma smile on my face. To bad it is cold now
Old 12-06-2009, 05:09 PM   #12
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
Congrats, you will want a Porsche for the rest of your life.....

Boxsters are fine in the winter if you get some real snow tires.

Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote