Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2009, 07:34 AM   #21

I have a 2000S and had an opportunity to drive a friends 08 Caymen with the 2.7 recently. After the 70 mile drive we both felt the difference in torque produced by these engines. We both felt we needed to run the Caymen in a lower gear to produce the acceleration delivered by the S. Keep in mind that I spent a lot of time driving a 1967S and the 3.2 seems to deliver the driving experience I was used to. The 2.7 not so much. I too prefer the early Boxter interior / styling...again more of a tribute to the early 911 cars in my opinion.

Just my take.

Keith Newby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 01:43 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefocke
in the '05 model year? I follow about 8 Boxster forums in several countries and am not aware of any significant differences between an '05 and an '06 in terms of reliability.

And I don't believe the small self-selecting sample that creates the CR ratings on reliability for a car like a Porsche. Consider that not only are you asked to return a complex form but also to contribute to the cost of processing. If that doesn't influence the sample characteristics, I don't know what does.

Mike didn't they switch back to a double row IMS bearing sometime in '06? Other than that I haven't heard or read of any first year problems with the '05s.

Keith, if I were in your situation, I'd go for the 05, even though I prefer the looks, both inside and out of the earlier cars.

Good luck, you'll enjoy either one you end up with.
Old 11-18-2009, 06:59 AM   #23

Northern986, I recently bought an 06 base, and drove a lot of 986's originally thinking that's what I'd buy. In summary, the differences are subtle, but here is what I noticed in cross shopping, that address yor question, I hope they help:

The interior upgrades were night and day, the exterior is much more subtle. The seating position feels lower, with a slightly higher beltline in the 987, your preference may vary. Some like the older car's styling, and I was on the fence early, but over time came to prefer the more updated aggressive styling of the 987. Three things jumped out at me here: 1) Headlights, no question better on 987! 2) 987 looks and feels overall slightly bigger 3) 987 has more of a coke bottle shape, making the wheel arches and track seem more aggressive.

Performance wise, the glaring thing I noticed was that I wouldn't be happy with a 987 with the base 17" wheels. The front tires are only 205's and that's just not enpough rubber on the road. I could make the front tires complain way too easliy.

986 3.2's have a little more torque, but the difference is not night and day. If you want to drag race, buy another kind of car. The 987 has plenty of power to be fun. I actually like the 5 speed inthe 987 better than the 5 or 6 speed in the 986. The 986 5 speed has LONG throws, and the 6 speed is notchy. The 987 5 speed throws are shorter and the feel is improved. It's geared pretty tall, which makes it slower off the line, but in daily driving the taller gearing is more comfortable and I appreciate having to shift less.

There are lots of little things slightly improved on 987's, think about the normal evolutional improvements, and think about the level of the competition by about 2003-2004 when the 987 was being designed, lots of little things, like bigger wheel bearings for example, that are just better, combine to make the car feel more solid.
jimdturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 07:24 AM   #24

I'd avoid 05s since they're the first year of 987s. It's too early to tell what fails prematurely on those yet. On the early 986s you got coolant tank leak, radiator cap update, etc etc.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 07:37 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimdturner
I actually like the 5 speed inthe 987 better than the 5 or 6 speed in the 986. The 986 5 speed has LONG throws, and the 6 speed is notchy. The 987 5 speed throws are shorter and the feel is improved.
You can easily retrofit the 987 shifter into a 986, for not much $. Many have done that and really liked it. I installed the 987 SHORT shifter into my 986 5-spd this summer, and, although more $ than the standard 987 shifter, it's been great.
Old 11-18-2009, 10:57 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekam
I'd avoid 05s since they're the first year of 987s. It's too early to tell what fails prematurely on those yet. On the early 986s you got coolant tank leak, radiator cap update, etc etc.
Not sure I concur...

Time flies when you're having fun. 05's are now 5 yrs old and there are plenty out there with 40-60K mi. That's plenty of time for items to surface that cause problems. It seems the 987 owners have much fewer complaints about niggling problems. Haven't run across anyone complaining about 987 window regulators, rear wheel bearings, front bushings, AOSs, etc along with the items you list. Or the biggies RMS or IMS. Just my casual observation.

My 08 is almost 2 yrs old and it's been one of the most trouble-free new cars I've ever owned. That doesn't mean it will remain trouble-free, and it doesn't mean 05's are perfect. Just haven't seen the complaints from 987 owners. Even it the problem was covered under warranty, wouldn't somebody complain about it? Either they're not prone to writing about their issues or they aren't experiencing big time problems.

Feel free to call me a homer, but I don't think the 05 should be painted with a broad brush.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)

Last edited by husker boxster; 11-18-2009 at 11:02 AM.
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 08:40 AM   #27

Northern986 -

Here's a nicely optioned 987 that should get you drooling:

05 w/ 24K mi, CPO, 6spd w/ PASM, 18" wheels, Bi-Xenon headlites, heated seats, Sport Chrono, Sport Steering Wheel, white gauges, roll-bar, and console

http://omaha.porschedealer.com/2005/Porsche/+Boxster/Omaha/NE/Carrara+White/white/508385/info.php
Old 11-23-2009, 11:11 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by husker boxster
Northern986 -

Here's a nicely optioned 987 that should get you drooling:

05 w/ 24K mi, CPO, 6spd w/ PASM, 18" wheels, Bi-Xenon headlites, heated seats, Sport Chrono, Sport Steering Wheel, white gauges, roll-bar, and console

http://omaha.porschedealer.com/2005/Porsche/+Boxster/Omaha/NE/Carrara+White/white/508385/info.php
Wow ! Thanks! This is the most optioned 987 base I've seen, plus CPO to boot. This definitely makes me drool a lot more than the steak n' pasta lunch I just microwaved Thank God that their photos totally do not do justice
for this beauty, or I will not be sitting here eating my lunch , and will be booking the flight to Omaha
It's too bad the $ tag (although very reasonable considering the mileage, CPO, and some desirable and rare options) is $5K over my max budget. I guess I will just do my share of drooling...
northern986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 02:40 PM   #29

Woodhouse will deal. I'm sure there's some $$$ that could be trimmed.
Old 11-24-2009, 08:52 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefocke
in the '05 model year? I follow about 8 Boxster forums in several countries and am not aware of any significant differences between an '05 and an '06 in terms of reliability.

And I don't believe the small self-selecting sample that creates the CR ratings on reliability for a car like a Porsche. Consider that not only are you asked to return a complex form but also to contribute to the cost of processing. If that doesn't influence the sample characteristics, I don't know what does.
It is what it is, take a look:

03' 986 Midnight Blue Metallic
Light Weight Flywheel | Tinted Windows and Windscreen
Painted Bumperettes | 550 Spyder Grille Kit

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_9sTq_sN1KDw/Si...2009%20055.jpg
crios is offline   Reply With Quote