Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2009, 01:00 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
I'm retiring for awhile....

All this engine failure talk on here and Rennlist has gotten annoying and blown way out of proportion. In my opinion it seems like it's plagued the boards to the point where it's the same discussion everyday and people assume their engine will explode at one point unless they get an custom IMS from Mr.Raby. Which hell even if you get that installed the 3.2+ sized engines have cracking head problems. And then if that's not enough I bet I'll have 20 stuck lifters. I'm going to retire from the boards for awhile. Peace.

gl-g100rcd@sbcglobal.net if you need me.

Old 10-27-2009, 01:40 PM   #2
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I completely agree. That's why my presence on this forum (and Renntech) has toned down in the last few months.
Old 10-27-2009, 02:36 PM   #3
FTD

Yes, my enthusiasm to learn and to meet was quite wild and fantastic, but the topics soon wore me out and I quit reading most stuff. I learned a lot. And I quenched my enthusiasm.
FTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 03:22 PM   #4

Yea but....

Ebay depresses me more. Seeing MY2003s being sold as "rollers" or parted out with less than 25,000 miles.
urban_legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 04:14 PM   #5
onshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkwatt
All this engine failure talk on here and Rennlist has gotten annoying and blown way out of proportion. In my opinion it seems like it's plagued the boards to the point where it's the same discussion everyday and people assume their engine will explode at one point unless they get an custom IMS from Mr.Raby. Which hell even if you get that installed the 3.2+ sized engines have cracking head problems. And then if that's not enough I bet I'll have 20 stuck lifters. I'm going to retire from the boards for awhile. Peace.

gl-g100rcd@sbcglobal.net if you need me.
Agreed. After reading all the doom and gloom I go out put the top down and take a drive through the back country twisties in my 77K mi. '99 Box and don't even think about RMS, IMS or PMS. There's something about the sound of a 986 and the wind in your hair that blows away the memories of this forum. Have fun!
Old 10-27-2009, 05:22 PM   #6
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
My 01 has 82000 miles, has 30000 range 1 revs, and is floored regularly every time I drive it. All original drive train. Mobil 1 once a year.

If and when it blows, I hope to install a 3.8 crate motor.

Some of you guys remind me of old guys that are worried sex will kill them.
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 06:43 PM   #7
onshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
My 01 has 82000 miles, has 30000 range 1 revs, and is floored regularly every time I drive it. All original drive train. Mobil 1 once a year.

If and when it blows, I hope to install a 3.8 crate motor.

Some of you guys remind me of old guys that are worried sex will kill them.
You mean....it doesn't? :dance:
Old 10-27-2009, 06:53 PM   #8
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
Wink

So far.....
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 07:34 PM   #9

Hi Robert,

I can understand that after 3200+ posts you want to take a breather.
For me, well when I bought my box I founds tons of good advise here.
I think that this forums and the babblers are second to none (I recently got a used X3 and the BMW forums are not even close in quality to our forums).
Now with 400+ posts I feel that I give more advise than I get but there's still a bit of new information here.
And yes then there are the recurring themes (which seem to be the same every year): which tire to choose, which performance enhancements and recently added RMS/IMS discussions.

So take a good vacation and see you sometime soon.

Cheers
2015 FIAT 500e "Nikki" my commuter car
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 09:07 PM   #10

I found this forum shortly before I bought my Boxster S. I went through with the purchase even after reading all of the stories about blown engines on here. Most Porsche owners must be ignorant because they don't even know what the IMS is. A few I have spoken to have had RMS issues but that doesn't always seem to be such a problem. I think scaring guys into getting their engines fixed preemptively or after the fact is perfectly legitimate in our capitalistic society, it makes for good business. According to what I have read I no doubt have 20 or more stuck lifters, a leaky RMS, and an IMS bearing that will fail at some point. But when I get behind the wheel and the car goes vroom I have a big smile on my face. I can deal with some stuck lifters for now...

Next up H1N1 shots for the pandemic swine flu, assault rifles since Obama is going to take my guns away, gold ingots because the dollar is worthless, and most importantly fair trade coffee so I don't murder any kids in Africa.

Last edited by ridetheworld; 10-27-2009 at 09:10 PM.
ridetheworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 04:56 AM   #11

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
Rob,
yeah man take a breather, thts a lot of posts you have, not like some of us with 200 or so
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 05:16 AM   #12

I can understand this "bad engine fatigue." Certainly, it can be like staring at an accident as you drive by. You know you shouldn't, but you do it anyway.

If it were me, I would simply pass those threads and play in others. Or, start you own about the joys of driving a Box.

In fact, I am going to start a thread about that and stick it, right now!

Thanks for posting.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 05:30 AM   #13

I agree with this thread, my car runs better than any other sports car I ever owned, if "she blows" then she blows. This is no different than thinking never smoking a cigar or taking a drink means you will live longer, trust me, it doesn't. Life is too random to be outwitted, best to take it as it's dished and be happy to own a Porsche, god knows I never thought I would..
eightsandaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 07:10 AM   #14

IMS:

ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 08:33 AM   #15

Haha, Dickson.

Priceless!
9eighty6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 08:59 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightsandaces
if "she blows" then she blows

I agree with this attitude. An old co-worker of mine used to have an older 911. Driving along one day he dropped a valve and crunched the engine. The car sat for 6 months at an independent shop before they could even get to the rebuild. When it was done it sat for months more as the owner lacked the funds to pay for it! Finally he lost the car and ended up selling it cheap to a friend. A couple years later I saw him again and he was driving another 911. Hopefully he learned his lesson, I know I learned something from him.

I don't sweat the engine problems with the 986 or 996 (I have both). If the 3.2L 986 dies, I'll get a 3.4L to replace it. If the 3.6L 996 dies, I'll get a 3.8L to replace it. I set aside an "engine replacement" fund when I first started buying and playing with Porsches. Plus at $6K or so for a used replacement engine, it's not like I don't have three or four credit cards I could just buy it with. This is why I didn't buy a Ferrari F355 when I was looking earlier this year. I got the 996 instead. A used Ferrari engine is $20K+! Now THAT would scare me, but $6K for a used engine or $10K for a Raby rebuild does not scare me, so I lose zero sleep over our supposed engine problems.

I also lose zero sleep over the resale values. That is only a factor if you are looking to sell your car. I'm not, I won't be for many, many years. So who cares?

Kirk
1975 911S Targa - undergoing a full restoration and engine rebuild
Also In The Garage - '66 912, '69 912, '72 914 Chalon wide body, '73 914
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 09:36 AM   #17
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk
I agree with this attitude. An old co-worker of mine used to have an older 911. Driving along one day he dropped a valve and crunched the engine. The car sat for 6 months at an independent shop before they could even get to the rebuild. When it was done it sat for months more as the owner lacked the funds to pay for it! Finally he lost the car and ended up selling it cheap to a friend. A couple years later I saw him again and he was driving another 911. Hopefully he learned his lesson, I know I learned something from him.

I don't sweat the engine problems with the 986 or 996 (I have both). If the 3.2L 986 dies, I'll get a 3.4L to replace it. If the 3.6L 996 dies, I'll get a 3.8L to replace it. I set aside an "engine replacement" fund when I first started buying and playing with Porsches. Plus at $6K or so for a used replacement engine, it's not like I don't have three or four credit cards I could just buy it with. This is why I didn't buy a Ferrari F355 when I was looking earlier this year. I got the 996 instead. A used Ferrari engine is $20K+! Now THAT would scare me, but $6K for a used engine or $10K for a Raby rebuild does not scare me, so I lose zero sleep over our supposed engine problems.

I also lose zero sleep over the resale values. That is only a factor if you are looking to sell your car. I'm not, I won't be for many, many years. So who cares?

Kirk
That's a great attitude. I also have no worries. Have had my 01 for 8 years, and the only thing I've ever replaced so far are a worn motor mount, a leaky coolant tank, and a failed water pump. Engine so far still strong at 60k miles. I figure that after enjoying the car for 8 yrs, even if the engine were to go kaplunk now, I already got my money's worth. As for the $6-$10k replacement cost if the engine does implode, that's still a heck of a lot cheaper than buying a new car, and it's great not having any car payments, so I'm keeping her for a while.

Also, I know most people now do not recommend using Mobil 1 anymore, but thing is, I know a guy who has over 150k miles on his 986, and he's only used Mobil 1 for the life of the car and he's only done oil changes at the 15k mile interval!! Another one (MarcW), has over 200k+ miles on his 986, and also has used Mobil 1 exclusively (although sticking to an aggresive oil change schedule..every 5k miles I think), so I figure that for me, changing my Mobil 1 at 10K intervals (in between the both of them), my engine should not implode ever!

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red

Last edited by Boxtaboy; 10-28-2009 at 09:38 AM.
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 09:54 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightsandaces
I agree with this thread, my car runs better than any other sports car I ever owned, if "she blows" then she blows. This is no different than thinking never smoking a cigar or taking a drink means you will live longer, trust me, it doesn't. Life is too random to be outwitted, best to take it as it's dished and be happy to own a Porsche, god knows I never thought I would..
well said!

2006 RL - My daily driver
2000 Boxster - Ocean Blue Base 5spd on Black Full leather. 18" wheels and M030.

Boxster mods I've added: Rear speaker kit, Painted Calipers, Painted Bumperettes, Painted Center Console, 987 Shifter Assembly, 3 Spoke Steering Wheel, Clear side markers, 03+ rear lights, de-snorkeled.
23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote