View Single Post
Old 10-28-2009, 08:59 AM   #16
Kirk

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightsandaces
if "she blows" then she blows

I agree with this attitude. An old co-worker of mine used to have an older 911. Driving along one day he dropped a valve and crunched the engine. The car sat for 6 months at an independent shop before they could even get to the rebuild. When it was done it sat for months more as the owner lacked the funds to pay for it! Finally he lost the car and ended up selling it cheap to a friend. A couple years later I saw him again and he was driving another 911. Hopefully he learned his lesson, I know I learned something from him.

I don't sweat the engine problems with the 986 or 996 (I have both). If the 3.2L 986 dies, I'll get a 3.4L to replace it. If the 3.6L 996 dies, I'll get a 3.8L to replace it. I set aside an "engine replacement" fund when I first started buying and playing with Porsches. Plus at $6K or so for a used replacement engine, it's not like I don't have three or four credit cards I could just buy it with. This is why I didn't buy a Ferrari F355 when I was looking earlier this year. I got the 996 instead. A used Ferrari engine is $20K+! Now THAT would scare me, but $6K for a used engine or $10K for a Raby rebuild does not scare me, so I lose zero sleep over our supposed engine problems.

I also lose zero sleep over the resale values. That is only a factor if you are looking to sell your car. I'm not, I won't be for many, many years. So who cares?

Kirk
1975 911S Targa - undergoing a full restoration and engine rebuild
Also In The Garage - '66 912, '69 912, '72 914 Chalon wide body, '73 914
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote