Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2005, 03:19 AM   #21

When my salesman put the order in, the cc showed up as a $550 option, so I guess the brochure is wrong. He couldn't describe what it looks like, but I think the porscheusa.com site shows the standard controls in the photo section. There's an interior shot of the shift knob and just ahead of that, you see manual buttons and no screen like the auto cc has. The salesman told me -- and photo confirms -- that the heated seat buttons are integrated into this panel.

longislander1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 06:02 AM   #22

I have to say that if Porsche makes you pay for auto cc on a car of this price, it continues the practice they have had over the years of dinking customers who are alread paying big bucks for a small car.

Value wise, this pissers me off!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 06:44 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
I have to say that if Porsche makes you pay for auto cc on a car of this price, it continues the practice they have had over the years of dinking customers who are alread paying big bucks for a small car.

Value wise, this pissers me off!

Yeap, Porsche has been known for stiffing their customers for options that should in there in the first place. Back in the 80's I wanted to buy the 944. But I found out that it did not have the ABS brake. They charged you for body molding and rear wiper and other insignificant items. They could have increased price of 944 by another $2,000. We ended up getting a BMW 325e. We still have the Bimmer. I am so glad that I used my big head instead my little head not to buy a 944.

We went to the Dealer yesterday, and indeed auto CC is not standard. I also complained to the Manager that their book and website contained numerous errors. I hope it is not a reflection of their quality of cars.

Does anyone know much their PASM? The manager advises me it is not necessary. Has anyone had direct experience with this option? TIA.

Later.
underDAWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 07:01 AM   #24

Talking

My son helped his boss buy a Cayeene. Seems that for nealry $80K, the dealer would not throw in FLOOR MATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

How sick is that?

I once bought a used Lexus and had the salesman throw in a $400 burl shift knob. He took it off the one in show room in about 30 seconds.

I bought a number of Lexus' from that dealership.
Old 03-20-2005, 09:42 AM   #25

Yeah, I like to joke about how if you want a steering wheel for your Porsche, you can get it as an option...

There are a LOT of discrepancies between what's on Porsche's website and what's listed in the actual price guide that they use. For instance, the preferred package costs a lot more on the Boxster S than on the Boxster and I couldn't figure out why--you look at the list online and they both have the exact same options!

Turns out the preferred package for the Boxster S also comes with fully electric/motorized seats. Oh.

As far as I know, automatic climate control is an option, not standard. I didn't order it.
eslai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 02:52 PM   #26

Please help

Greeting! I am currently in negotiation with 2 different dealers around Boston on a built-to-order Boxster S. Try as I may, but I am getting no where close to the 6% that some of you mentioned. Would you guys care to share which dealers are willing to deal at such discount? Thank you.
No_Name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 05:11 PM   #27

I'm nowhere near Boston, but I ordered from Legend Autorama in Amityville, NY, on Long Island. Got 5.5% off and might have done better. Gary Ecker was a great salesperson. I can't offer any more info than that because I've never taken delivery or had a car serviced at this dealership before. Another local dealer was willing to take $2K off even before we talked seriously, but I won't recommend him because he kept me waiting an hour for a scheduled test drive. I walked out.

My policy is to walk away from dealers who want MSRP or more. There are few, if any, cars that are worth it, especially if you wait until the newness has worn off.
Old 03-23-2005, 05:14 PM   #28

Talking

My advice is to email any Porsche will within 300 miles of where you are with a FIRM offer to purchase within one week of acceptance. This will likely work.

Let us know how you do!
Old 03-23-2005, 07:15 PM   #29

Thank you both. As it stands, I am a hair away from a $2,500 off sticker deal. I think I'll keep on looking for better deals then...
Old 03-24-2005, 11:34 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
My advice is to email any Porsche will within 300 miles of where you are with a FIRM offer to purchase within one week of acceptance. This will likely work.

Let us know how you do!
Agree with you. Over the years, I've found that it's better to do your homework and then go in with a firm offer that you're happy with and that's reasonable for the dealer. Based on my research at the time, I felt that I'd be satisfied with $3K off on a car with MSRP around $60K. The dealer agreed to this, and then we both discovered that the PCM option was priced $300+ higher than Porsche was showing on the web site. The salesperson said, "I'll throw in the difference," and we had a deal. I could probably have squeezed out more, but this strategy makes the sales process a lot more friendly and pleasant than dancing around over a few additional dollars.
Old 03-24-2005, 11:50 AM   #31

No_Name

Give Herb Chambers a try. They came down 3500 without a fight. Claire could only move 2000. Good Luck
graybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 12:13 PM   #32

Nice job.

Good luck with the car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by longislander1
Agree with you. Over the years, I've found that it's better to do your homework and then go in with a firm offer that you're happy with and that's reasonable for the dealer. Based on my research at the time, I felt that I'd be satisfied with $3K off on a car with MSRP around $60K. The dealer agreed to this, and then we both discovered that the PCM option was priced $300+ higher than Porsche was showing on the web site. The salesperson said, "I'll throw in the difference," and we had a deal. I could probably have squeezed out more, but this strategy makes the sales process a lot more friendly and pleasant than dancing around over a few additional dollars.
Old 03-24-2005, 10:11 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by graybeard
No_Name

Give Herb Chambers a try. They came down 3500 without a fight. Claire could only move 2000. Good Luck

Thank you for your advice. It is actually Herb Chambers that offered me the aforementioned $2,500 discount. The sales put up a stink when I asked for that amount via e-mail Wed. morning. (I already visited the dealership on Sunday) He said he would get back to me with confirmation later in the day but did not do so until this morning. In his e-mail reply and phone meesage left for me, his tone sounded commanding and disrespectful... much like the Soup Nazi in Seinfeld. I did not appreciate it so I never got back to him.

Turned out to be a good thing. After I gathered some good advices from here, I started making phone calls to dealerships with credit card in hand for deposit. I aimed for a $4,000 discount. Thus far the best I've got is $3,500. I'll try a few more on Friday. Hopefully, I can get a deal done tomorrow and get delivery in June.
Old 03-25-2005, 06:29 AM   #34

I am familiar with Herb Chambers and the boys. Not surprised by the attitude.

Hey, they are selling a CAR, not doing brain surgery.

Stow the attitude, dudes!

Old 03-25-2005, 10:05 AM   #35

Just a thought, it looks like on this board we may have at least 3 individual ready to order their Boxster. May be we should team to do a group buy. Since we all in the Right Coast, it is not an issue to pick up our Boxster. May we we should list exactly we we want, and each of us present to our area dealers. And get the best deal we can. I anticipate that we should be able to get 7% at least. IT is not a bad deal for the dealer for a few hour work.

I am ready to order in April.

Later,
Old 03-25-2005, 11:11 AM   #36

Hey Dawg, I have a deal underway for $4,000 off , or ~7% in my case. They are to check on June delivery allocation before the deal can be done (fingers crossed). Dealer is located in NH - a bit away from DE. Let me know if you like me to speak w/ them about a GB. An April order will likely have July delivery, which will work out perfectly. Only if you are absolutely serious though... I'd hate to "dick" them around. Car Sales are people, too.
Old 03-25-2005, 12:07 PM   #37

Hey NN..... I understand. Time is money and we never have enough.

I delay my puchase until the first 2 weeks of April so that I can finalize my options. With so many errors in both Porsche book, website and inaccessible sale info, it really makes buying a Porsche the least fun.

If you don't mind, please talk to your dealer and test the water if we can strike a better deal. If I have to move up my purchase that is fine with me. Please send me an email at lys(at)zoominternet.net. Thanks.

Later,

Last edited by underDAWG; 03-27-2005 at 11:00 AM.
Old 03-27-2005, 11:43 AM   #38

Woohoo!!

Just inked the deal this morning at $3,700, or 6.64% off. Dealership personels were courteous and profrossional through out the whole 4-day negotiation process. :thumbup:

The June delivery date cannot come soon enough.

Thank you to those who offered invaluable advices in the past few days.
Old 03-27-2005, 11:49 AM   #39

Best of luck to you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:dance:

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Name
Just inked the deal this morning at $3,700, or 6.64% off. Dealership personels were courteous and profrossional through out the whole 4-day negotiation process. :thumbup:

Old 03-27-2005, 05:25 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Name

Tell us what you ordered.

graybeard is offline   Reply With Quote