Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2009, 05:13 PM   #1
McB

2003 Boxster

I am new to the forum and to Porsches in general.

I am thinking of buying:
2003 Porsche Boxster Base (silver)
Tiptronic Transmission
50K miles (or 80K kilometres)

I will get a PPI to make sure the car is in decent shape, but just wondering how much this car is roughly worth so I don't get ripped off.

Also, is there anything that I should be worried about with this year of Boxster? Any major expenses I would have coming up around this age of car or the mileage that is on it?

Thanks in advance for any tips/advice.

McB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 07:35 PM   #2

One definite plus for the 03 is that it's the first MY with the glass rear window.
Old 10-29-2009, 04:55 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by McB
...but just wondering how much this car is roughly worth so I don't get ripped off.
Price guides (such as KBB) place that year & mileage w/ tiptronic in the US$16K to US$20K range. If fully optioned maybe a bit more. If a little rough (dings and scratches) then a bit less.
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 05:00 AM   #4

First, if you haven't looked and read here

http://mike.focke.googlepages.com/mikesporscheboxsterwebpages

and here ...

http://www.986faq.com/default.asp

you should. It will give you a lot to think about and help you ask the right questions.

I bought essentially the same car recently except it's a 2002 (color/triptronic etc) with 45,000 miles in NM/MT condition. The previous owner met the clinical diagnostic criteria for OCD with this car in terms of service and condition and I paid $13,000.

All other things being equal ... you have Major Maintenance scheduled about every 30K miles. Check to see if/when he did this. That could be costly. It also gives you a general idea of how the car was kept. Also, do not underestimate the high cost of tires on this car. They wear out very quickly. If he just changed them, that's a real bonus. If they have more than 10K on them, you'll likely be looking at new set pretty soon.
d18mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 05:18 AM   #5

In Canada the prices tend to be higher due to the lower volumes etc. To pick up one from the states comes with it's own problems. There is a 6% duty, needs to be inspected by a Porsche DEALER ($1,300 CDN) before the release letter is issued. Rate of exchange is a factor as well. and a few others as well.

To check out the prices ... look at Autotrader.ca across the country. Figure you may drop the price by a grand or so to give you a good ball park value. Get to know an independant P-Car shop (PPI) and ask them what it's worth. They are usually in the know.

2010 Ford F150 FX4 Luxury

Retired after 38 years with the same company.
Jaak is offline   Reply With Quote