Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2009, 06:12 PM   #1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Chicago suburbs
Posts: 379
Crush ring and Castrol

Hi Guys,
So I went to 2 auto parts stores today and neither had the crush ring nor had any record of it in their system. what size is the crush ring and where's a good place to pick one up? Can you use a generic brand? I saw ones rubber ones.

Also the local guy quoted me $6.70 for a quart of Castrol 10W-40 Syn. Is that a good price and who has it cheaper (Walmart?)

-Steve
__________________
2001 Boxster S
Desnorkled
Pioneer Avic D3
JL Audio 6.5 inch subs (in the door)
Pyramid 4 channel amp
chitowndad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 06:57 PM   #3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: MI
Posts: 112
Pelican Parts has the crush rings -- I think they are about 25 cents each. Next time you place an order there best to buy a handful. It's always a good idea to change the crush ring along with your oil. Considering the price, why not. But it's certainly not something that you must do every oil change. I know a lot of guys who go several changes before using new ones.
d18mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 08:08 PM   #4
Registered User
 
Lil bastard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Du Monde
Posts: 2,199
OK - Crush washers - cheap - no need to reuse... if you're on top of it!

NEVER buy one - buy a dozen at a time - they're cheap!

If you must reuse - reverse them, at least you'll get two uses out of one.

__________________
1990 Porsche 964 Carrera 4 Cabriolet
1976 BMW 2002
1990 BMW 325is
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 08:48 PM   #5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: nj
Posts: 389
"Also the local guy quoted me $6.70 for a quart of Castrol 10W-40 Syn. Is that a good price and who has it cheaper (Walmart?)"


Not a bad price. Walmart might be a little less. Think they sell more environmentally friendly (less packaging/qt) 5 quart jugs of synthetic. Autozone is also now carrying them. The big 'uns may be harder to find in 0W40 or 5W40.
gschotland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 03:35 AM   #6
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Chicago suburbs
Posts: 379
Thanks, I'll check out Walmart.

Are the crush rings a universal size? The 2 auto stores that I went to didn't have a record of Porsche crush rings but they had a bunch of different sizes etc.

Has anyone used the ones with a rubber coating on the inside?

-Steve
__________________
2001 Boxster S
Desnorkled
Pioneer Avic D3
JL Audio 6.5 inch subs (in the door)
Pyramid 4 channel amp
chitowndad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 05:53 AM   #7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Arlington Heights, IL
Posts: 1,557
You should not be using a 10W40 oil. Not Porsche approved. Especially during a Chicago winter.
Flavor 987S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 06:42 AM   #8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: It's a kind of magic.....
Posts: 5,101
Nonsense; we have been using 10W-40 Castrol Syntec in customer cars for a long time and it gets plenty cold here as well. And, when you look back a few years, 10W oil was the recommended grade for arctic conditions, so why should it be a problem now?.

I never could justify the OEM rationale for 0W – anything, especially considering how poorly their “chosen” oil performs in used oil analysis after mild usage and low mileage conditions………..

By-the-by; to get back on point, I’ve noticed Wal-Mart in our area selling the 10W-40 Syntec for about $22 for a five quart container……….
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 06:46 AM   #9
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Central Ohio
Posts: 526
I had to re-use my crush ring as napa sold me the wrong new one. 10W40 should be fine for chicago, I am in central ohio and use Castrol syntec 10W40. I don't know how much winter driving you do in chicago, but you could do 15W40 if its a heavy winter car. I would still stay with 10W40!!
__________________
I'll take my Guns, Religion, and Money; You can keep the "CHANGE" B.O.!!

SO, GROW A PAIR NANCY AND DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!!
http://i826.photobucket.com/albums/z...Main/MyBox.jpg
mptoledo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 08:19 AM   #10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Arlington Heights, IL
Posts: 1,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA
Nonsense; we have been using 10W-40 Castrol Syntec in customer cars for a long time and it gets plenty cold here as well. And, when you look back a few years, 10W oil was the recommended grade for arctic conditions, so why should it be a problem now?.

I never could justify the OEM rationale for 0W – anything, especially considering how poorly their “chosen” oil performs in used oil analysis after mild usage and low mileage conditions………..
Congrats, JFP, you know more than the Porsche engineers! That's awesome!!

When was the last time you read an updated Oil TSB from Porsche?

Do you disclose to your customers that you are using outdated unapproved Porsche oils? They deserve to know and be informed.
Flavor 987S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 08:39 AM   #11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: It's a kind of magic.....
Posts: 5,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavor 987S
Congrats, JFP, you know more than the Porsche engineers! That's awesome!!

When was the last time you read an updated Oil TSB from Porsche?

Do you disclose to your customers that you are using outdated unapproved Porsche oils? They deserve to know and be informed.
After 35 years or so of turning wrenches on these cars, both in successful racing applications and on the street, not to mention running my own shop; I have learned a more than few things that Porsche’s accountants forgot to, or wouldn’t allow their engineers to do.

Your high regard for what passes for TSB’s is more than just humorous, it is completely misguided; as over the years Porsche has so often reversed themselves, particularly when it comes to oils. Their oil brand of choice is a hollow shell of what it was when Exxon took Mobil over in 1999; which is why anyone with a modicum of knowledge on the subject stopped listening to their recommendations years ago. Add in our data base of literally hundreds of oil analysis collected from our own and customer’s cars and it became obvious that both the “recommended” weights and brand had become total nonsense.

As for “disclosing” to our customers that we use what you describe as “outdated and unapproved oils”; perhaps you would be interested in how many Porsche owners switched to our shop (even driving considerable distances to do so) when they hear that our test results show a better pathway…………… So, as the direct result of miscreant and devious ways, we find ourselves having to turn work away because of the line of cars outside the door………..
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 08:45 AM   #12
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Sanford NC
Posts: 2,319
Maybe he knows more than the Porsche co-marketing folks

who set up the deal to give Mobile all the promotion (in exchange for what?).

How are we sure this co-marketing deal is for the benefit of customers or not just another deal that provides kickbacks?

If it was just in a TSB where their recommendations were, I'd be more inclined to believe it was engineers speaking.

Let me suggest that Porsche probably gets all their oil and certainly gets the benefit of Mobile advertising the Porsche exclusive-use. Every time Mobile says the word "Porsche" in an oil commercial, Porsche marketing benefits.

And those who analyze the internals of Boxster engines that have failed or are beginning to fail seem to agree on one thing...that the oil recommendations that Porsche has made and continues to make for the M96 engines are not the right way to protect the engine based on their analysis of hundreds of engines and the contents of their oil over several years.

And many say not to use Mobile 1 and recommend a thicker base viscosity.

Can JFP be right in thinking that the Porsche engineers choice is suspect too?

My next change won't be 0W40 and won't be Mobile 1.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 08:50 AM   #13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Sanford NC
Posts: 2,319
I don't follow your logic

"I don't know how much winter driving you do in chicago, but you could do 15W40 if its a heavy winter car. "

The colder you drive it, the lower the "cold" viscosity number you want, not higher. So why would you want to suggest the possibility of higher?
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 08:52 AM   #14
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Arlington Heights, IL
Posts: 1,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA
After 35 years or so of turning wrenches on these cars, both in successful racing applications and on the street, not to mention running my own shop; I have learned a more than few things that Porsche’s accountants forgot to, or wouldn’t allow their engineers to do.

Your high regard for what passes for TSB’s is more than just humorous, it is completely misguided; as over the years Porsche has so often reversed themselves, particularly when it comes to oils. Their oil brand of choice is a hollow shell of what it was when Exxon took Mobil over in 1999; which is why anyone with a modicum of knowledge on the subject stopped listening to their recommendations years ago. Add in our data base of literally hundreds of oil analysis collected from our own and customer’s cars and it became obvious that both the “recommended” weights and brand had become total nonsense.

As for “disclosing” to our customers that we use what you describe as “outdated and unapproved oils”; perhaps you would be interested in how many Porsche owners switched to our shop (even driving considerable distances to do so) when they hear that our test results show a better pathway…………… So, as the direct result of miscreant and devious ways, we find ourselves having to turn work away because of the line of cars outside the door………..


Blah...blah...blah...blah...blah.....you did not answer the questions. I would assume the answers are, "no".

With you higher base of knowledge, you owe it to forum members here and your customers that your advice goes against the grain of Porsche, so those less knowledgeable than you can make an informed decision ....to believe a trust mechanic (yes, I am sure you do good work! )...or the folks who built the car and continue testing & improving.
Flavor 987S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 09:11 AM   #15
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Arlington Heights, IL
Posts: 1,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefocke
who set up the deal to give Mobile all the promotion (in exchange for what?). My next change won't be 0W40 and won't be Mobile 1.
There are hundreds of Porsche approved oils. No need to use Mobil 1. I use Red Line 5W40 (not Porsche approved) in the Bosxter.

I do plan to try Mobil 1's 5W50 in a new car I am getting soon, since I will try to drive it a little during the winter.
Flavor 987S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 09:20 AM   #16
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: It's a kind of magic.....
Posts: 5,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavor 987S
Blah...blah...blah...blah...blah.....you did not answer the questions. I would assume the answers are, "no".

With you higher base of knowledge, you owe it to forum members here and your customers that your advice goes against the grain of Porsche, so those less knowledgeable than you can make an informed decision .....
Actually, I did, but you did not, or chose not to comprehend my answer…....my customer's know exactly what they are getting.

As for what I “owe” members of this forum, I have openly participated in multiple discussions, here and elsewhere, on the subject of oil performance in the M96 engine for several years. And I am hardly the only one to dispute Porsche’s oil choices on this forum (and others) for many years as well.

Please, feel free to “trust and believe in” whomever you please; as for me, I’ll remain circumspect about the “recommendations” of the engineers that delivered the M96 with the IMS issues, the RMS problems, the slipped sleeves, the “D-chunking”, sintered metal oil pump drives, etc. etc. etc………..
……..

Last edited by JFP in PA; 10-23-2009 at 09:23 AM.
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 09:34 AM   #17
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: It's a kind of magic.....
Posts: 5,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavor 987S
There are hundreds of Porsche approved oils. No need to use Mobil 1. I use Red Line 5W40 (not Porsche approved) in the Bosxter.

I do plan to try Mobil 1's 5W50 in a new car I am getting soon, since I will try to drive it a little during the winter.
When Red Line actually obtains ACEA A3, B3, and B4 ratings (they currently do not have any ACEA ratings), they might be worth looking at, but not until they have ACEA...............
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 10:14 AM   #18
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Chicago suburbs
Posts: 1,675
"you know more than the Porsche engineers! That's awesome!!"

Unfortunately, the Porsche engineers had to work with what the accountants and marketing dept gave them...which is why we have d-chunk engines, weak IMS bearings, weak cam tensioners, broken cheap plastic pieces and on and on and on.

I don't question folks like JFP, Jake and Charles because they represent "real world" not factory hype. Porsche wouldn't even admit the problems with the M96 engine design; do you think they care about the oil they recommend other than who's paying them the big marketing dollars? I remember when all my Porsches came with Shell stickers as factory fill.

I use Castol Syntec 10W40 and recently paid $4.99 qt at AutoZone...I wouldn't put Mobil 1 0W40 in my lawn tractor.
__________________
JGM
2002 Boxster S
1973 911 Green FrankenMeanie
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 10:38 AM   #19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Chicago suburbs
Posts: 379
Lol

So let's agree on one thing - the oil discussion is like discussing religion, everyone has a different opinion...

I got what I needed out of this thread - go to Walmart for Castrol, which is my choice. But still not sure if anyone answered the size of the crush ring, i.e., is it 17MM, 20MM, etc.

IMO, I agree with the previous point that the Porsche engineers are told what to work with (M1) and in my occupation, upper Mgt. gives us the project end dates from hell and tells us to get it done knowing it's unrealistic! LOL, all the same crap...

Thanks a ton,

-Steve
__________________
2001 Boxster S
Desnorkled
Pioneer Avic D3
JL Audio 6.5 inch subs (in the door)
Pyramid 4 channel amp
chitowndad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 11:00 AM   #20
Registered User
 
Lil bastard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Du Monde
Posts: 2,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitowndad
So let's agree on one thing - the oil discussion is like discussing religion, everyone has a different opinion...

I got what I needed out of this thread - go to Walmart for Castrol, which is my choice. But still not sure if anyone answered the size of the crush ring, i.e., is it 17MM, 20MM, etc.

IMO, I agree with the previous point that the Porsche engineers are told what to work with (M1) and in my occupation, upper Mgt. gives us the project end dates from hell and tells us to get it done knowing it's unrealistic! LOL, all the same crap...

Thanks a ton,

-Steve
Crush washers are not universal, either in ID or thickness. That said, there are many applications using the same size washers. My suggestion is to take your drain plug to the store while the oil is draining and match it up.

__________________
1990 Porsche 964 Carrera 4 Cabriolet
1976 BMW 2002
1990 BMW 325is
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 04:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page